Seminars, Social Events Enhance Value for Las Vegas Market Attendees
Furniture World Magazine
Attendees to the Las Vegas Market at World Market Center continue to discover new product, insight, information and contacts with the Market’s expanding and comprehensive offerings.
In addition to the wealth of home furnishings manufacturers and their products, attendees are able to take advantage of many educational, trend-setting, industry and business seminars that provide meaningful and strategic tools to make their business successful and their market experience more valuable.
This year’s Winter Las Vegas Market, scheduled for Jan. 29 through Feb. 2, 2007, is no exception. Specialty seminars will cover trends, color, merchandising, buying patterns, sales techniques, business strategies and much, much more.
“We offer something for everyone and take pride in selecting meaningful and interesting seminars with information that attending retailers can truly apply to their business,” said Dana Pretner Andrew, Director of Marketing and Public Relations for World Market Center. Cindi Williams, Director of Events for the Western Home Furnishings Association (WHFA), said WHFA works closely with World Market Center staff and produces many of the seminars for Las Vegas Market.
Williams said, “The expertise and passion our speakers bring is reflected in their effective and entertaining presentations. The seminars also provide attendees with another valuable option during the five-day Market in addition to visiting all the furniture exhibitors.”
Williams added even more attendees can now be accommodated for the popular seminars in NHFA/WHFA’s new, larger Retailer Resource Center in World Market Center’s new 16-story, $345 million, 1.6-million-square-foot Building B that opens in January. “We have significantly expanded our resource center to more than 7,000 square feet,” she said. “We can be even more of an education resource and business tool to attending retailers, making their Las Vegas Market trip even more beneficial.”
The NHFA/WHFA Retailer Resource Center is located on the 16th floor of Building B. The new showroom will feature a number of resources, including a larger seminar room that seats 100 people, enhanced technology, and expanded coffee bar, an Internet café, new vendor space and the “Launch Pad” for new product introductions.
Among the 30 varied seminars to be presented at the Winter Market, featured presentations include:
● “Colorwatch Seminar” - Christine Chow of The Color Association of the United States will discuss the latest colors, textures and fabrications that will impact the home furnishings landscape, and explain how these trends will shape buyers’ purchase decisions in the coming months. The Colorwatch Seminar will be Monday, Jan. 29 from 11 a.m. to noon in World Market Center’s Seminar Room – Building B.
● “Candice Olson on Design” – Olson, one of North America’s leading professional interior designers, popular TV host, columnist and product designer, will offer attendees dramatic before-and-after room makeovers and share smart tips, practical advice and insights into the essentials of great interior design. The charming, witty and popular television host of Divine Design on HGTV in the U.S. and the W Network in Canada, Olson, believes you can have a room that’s both beautiful and practical when you begin with being honest with yourself. Olson’s seminar will be Tuesday, Jan. 30 from 10 a.m. to noon at Cashman Center Theater, and will be followed by a book signing of Candice Olson on Design (Meredith Books, January 2006, $19.95) and meet-and-greet opportunity.
● “Trendwatch Live!” – Back by popular demand, renowned home trend analyst Michelle Lamb, CMG, returns to Las Vegas Market to share her home fashion insight and share what colors, motifs and moods will impact tomorrow’s décor styles. Lamb’s remarks are based on a global perspective gained from traveling to trade shows throughout the world. The popular speaker and columnist writes the Trendwatch column in Accessory Merchandising magazine and is founder and chairman of Marketing Directions, Inc. Lamb brings the pages of her well-read column to life on Thursday, Feb. 1 from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. at Cashman Center Theater.
● “Perception is Reality” – Making sure the customer’s perception of the service you’re providing matches what you believe you are delivering is vital in today’s competitive economy. Charles Stiles, president and founder of Business Evaluation Services, a professional full-service secret shopper evaluation company, stresses the importance of service in addition to price and quality. He will present a fun, enlightening and interactive program where attendees learn how to better understand what customers believe about the service being provided and gain new ideas to improve sales. The seminar will take place Thursday, Feb. 1, from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. in the NHFA/WHFA Retailer Resource Center.
The Retailer Resource Center is once again presenting the popular Academy Training Series, a higher level, focused series of seminars dedicated to a specific topic. The Winter Market series focuses on a variety of trend-related topics covering the Internet, influences of outside factors on furniture, current trends, technology and retailing strategies beyond the retail store.
All seminars, except for “Candice Olson on Design” and “Trendwatch Live!” to be held at Cashman Center, will be offered in World Market Center’s Buiding B.
For more details about the Academy Training Series and a complete list of all seminars, visit www.lasvegasmarket.com.
In addition to the seminars, several daily and special social events enhance attendees’ Market experience.
“The social component at Las Vegas Market is as exciting as the merchandise on display and the business-building opportunities that the educational program provides,” Pretner Andrew said. “The various parties and hospitality areas provide outstanding opportunities to make contacts and catch up with business associates in a more relaxed setting, not to mention enjoying great food and entertainment. These complimentary events are also another way we can show our appreciation to all attendees.”
A variety of complimentary special events include:
● Grand Opening Party for World Market Center’s new Building B – Monday, Jan. 29 from 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. in both Building B and Building A at World Market Center. Sponsored by World Market Center.
● Breakfast at Cashman Center – Tuesday, Jan. 30 – Thursday, Feb. 1 from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. at Cashman Center. Sponsored by World Market Center.
● Daily Attendee Hospitality Wine & Cheese – Tuesday, Jan. 30 – Friday, Feb. 2 from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. at Cashman Center and Pavilions Café, Pavilion 1. Sponsored by World Market Center.
● WHFA Member Appreciation Party – Tuesday, Jan. 30 from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.
WHFA Retailer Resource Center. Sponsored by Western Home Furnishings Association for all retailers.
● Carnival, Las Vegas Style – Tuesday, Jan. 30 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at Cashman Center. Sponsored by World Market Center.
● International Buyers Breakfast – Wednesday, Jan. 31 from 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. in Building B, 16th Floor, World Market Center. Sponsored by World Market Center.
● Twilight Wine & Cheese Soiree – Wednesday, Jan. 31 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in Buildings A and B, World Market Center. Sponsored by World Market Center.
● Delightful Desserts, Cocktails and Jazz – Thursday, Feb. 1 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the Atrium of Buildings A and B, World Market Center. Sponsored by World Market Center.
World Market Center is an integrated home and hospitality contract furnishings showroom and convention complex in Las Vegas. When fully built, at 12 million square feet in 8 buildings, World Market Center will be the largest trade show complex in the World. The 12 million square foot campus will be complete by 2013 and will showcase furniture, decorative accessories, lighting, area rugs, home textile and related segments, as well as Las Vegas Design Center (LVDC) open year-round to the trade.
The second building will open in January 2007; officials are now leasing the third building to a broad cross-section of the home furnishings industry. For more information on Las Vegas Market, and to find out about leasing or exhibiting opportunities, visit the website or call 888-WMC-SHOW (962-7469).