Over 154 Years of Service to the Furniture Industry
 Furniture World Logo

Delivery Drivers

Having a difficult time keeping and or finding delivery drivers. I feel that they are fairly compensated but I was wondering what others are paying hourly and if bonuses are a part of the package. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted By Jed, 8/16/2014

Login to Reply to this Topic

Replies

From CTanner, 11/24/2014  4:41 PM

We have a flat rate system that we use for our drivers.  In our Lombard Furniture Store we use the same drivers as our other store.  Nothing fancy, just an hourly.  What is your compensation?  That might change according to the amount of construction in the area.  We also keep standard business hours and provide benefits.  Maybe providing more info would help.

From Rob2centsworth, 8/18/2014  6:32 PM

Jed,

I guess the first question is what are you paying? If you feel it's enough, why are your drivers leaving? Have you asked? It could be poor planning of their deliveries, It's a hard job that pays ok if it's run well. If it isn't it's a no fun job that quickly burns people out. The best system I was involved with paid them the most in the industry  at the time 2000 around 15 - 18 dollars an hour with a very very good bonus system. The furniture was deluxed, pre assembled and inspected before they received it OPENED on the dock. They had to disassemble it and blanket wrap it after they inspected it. If it required a service call after it was in the home due to delivery damage they were charged for it. If it wasn't delivered for any reason and came back and needed repair they were charged for it. SO the morning of delivery they had to take anything that was assembled apart. secure the hardware, blanket wrap it and were 100% responsible start to finish. THEY LOST A TON OF DRIVERS! ,,,, at first. But those that stayed, stayed. They stayed because the furniture they were receiving was in perfect condition (no haggling with an unhappy customer for something out of there control man. def etc. It could be assembled ie all the hardware was there no delays due to things not going together correctly. All the parts, mirror mounts, headboard bolts etc were there.  They received bonus for completed delivers that did not require a service call with 10 days of delivery. In short the system supported the drivers and it was very clear. All of this also made a lot more deliveries stick. The drivers were making fresh deliveries, not spending part of their day dragging and shuffling exchanges out of the way. Or caring a piece up three flights of stairs only to discover a flaw in the piece so it had to be returned. If you'd like more details contact me