Over 154 Years of Service to the Furniture Industry
 Furniture World Logo

Is Levitz in trouble again?

Looks like we are facing a repeat of 2005. Delays in product coming in, customer cancellations, etc. And this latest article in Furniture Today about suppliers cutting off delivery of product to Levitz. After suffering mounting losses on Levitz these past 2 years, is Prentice getting ready to pull the plug??

Posted By west coast sales, 11/4/2007

Login to Reply to this Topic

Replies

From key holder, 6/9/2010  12:13 AM

woah levitz just sent me a email?!!! what is that about, and when i sent to levitz.com,, a new but old sing of levits is on there" coming soon the new levitz" it say's could it be?

From Nostalgic, TOO, 11/17/2009  12:03 AM

Levitz taught many of us the skills we still use today.

Imagine if someone had walked in the door 15+ years ago and told us this is where we would be, that the company would be an embarrassment on the resume, that after 12 years of struggles over 5000 people would be out of a job... what would we have done differently?

Actually its good the final-nail was put in by late 2007; the down-turn would have wiped 'em out and the few left would have been even worse off.

Can you imagine how the retailers that survived will clean up when the economy recovers? I have two friends still in the business and they both say much of what Levitz did would be more successful today then ever. Good luck to everybody. We should have tried harder.

I too am doing better than ever, but... memories of a simpler time, and Nostalgic: NEVER say your company could NEVER go out of business. I would have said that in 1993.

From Nostalgic, 11/13/2009  4:29 AM

I make great money now, more then I ever made, I have a good job with a great company that will never go out of business, but I miss these days so much, I miss the smell of the warehouse and the showroom, I miss closing early on thanksgiving eve, I miss presidents day sales and potlucks, new products, and customers, and all the great people I worked with (I even miss the ones I didn't like) haha, I grew up at levitz and I will always be sad that it's no longer a part of my life, just the memorys and storys still exist, like a long lost high school love, I'm tearing up writing this, a time that seems so long ago now, I really did love it at levitz and I miss my old friend, life goes on..........

From Guest, 12/7/2008  9:47 PM

the funny thing about it is that the levitz family is running 'the room source'store's now or i should say his stoner son is,but in all siriousnes that was forcoming of what is happening now, why should the car industry get a bail out, levitz din't

From Joe Hawkins, 8/7/2008  6:38 PM

I got a MS like disease and MCS or EI from working at Levitz and my Worker's Comp claims are from back in 1990 and 1991 and they have been committing fraud all along to bail on my claim from the very beginning. I worked as a Furniture Repair Tech II and worked 8 years or around 16,000 hours with no training or knowledge of MSDS's even existing back then and they even had me work the last 6 months not telling me I was suppose to not be at work while they harassed and sabotaged my work and wrote me up because I was ill from the toxic exposures of the chemicals I repaired furniture on the Delivery Dock with. I have a disease and these jerks are still not accepting responsibility. Traveler Ins also was the initial lair in my case so I am now transferring it to Superior Court and Travelers is whom I am mostly targeting. Levitz will not get away with it also though! They messed my life up way more than anything all of you are complaining about and I was a loyal hard worker and they gave me the raw end of the deal. Even if I win my cases I still lose as MS is not curable and MCS is lifelong also! Who knows what else may pop up as chemicals damage you many years later. Cancer maybe? I have brain injury from those chemicals and later medications used in the misdiagnosis of my injury and etc. Oh and I went out on a low back injury after the initial blood hemorrhaging and so forth when I was not even suppose to be there to get that low back injury. Something had to give and it was my back that gave first! Now I wake to pain every stinking day thanks to those criminals. Beat that!

From ida, 5/8/2008  10:09 PM

I didn't have a cancellation code. I faxed the receipt along with a letter explaining what had happened. The wrong furniture was delivered so I sent it back. The company promised me a refund but that was the very day they went bankrupt but no one told me of the bankruptcy. I did not get the refund overnight. I've been fighting this since November. I did lots of research and if you don't have the merchandise, the credit card company is suppose to give you a refund. I sent MANY letters to my card company and spoke to various people. Maybe it helped that I started my fight before the company actually closed it's doors for good. Getting a refund was NOT easy but I never gave up and you shouldn't either.   

From interested, 5/7/2008  11:06 PM

IDA - how were you able to get a cancellation code? I cancelled my order, but never got a written confirmation, so my bank won't refunD!

From ida, 5/5/2008  10:35 PM

GOOD NEWS! AFTER MANY MONTHS AND NO FURNITURE, MY CREDIT CARD COMPANY FINALLY CREDITED MY ACCOUNT FOR THE FULL PRICE OF THE LEVITZ FURNITURE. I HOPE ALL WORKS OUT FOR EVERYONE STUCK IN A SIMILAR NIGHTMARE AS I WAS. LIVE AND LEARN. NEVER PURCHASE FURNITURE WITH CASH OR CHECK. ALWAYS USE A CREDIT CARD!!!

From Guest, 3/24/2008  1:38 AM

i used to work at the levitz in stockton ca. and i drove past the one in north highlands in sacramento, only crackheads and prostitues were in the area so i guess you can say the people got what they wanted, they wanted us out of bussiness they complaind when people threw there $hit in our garbage and fine uss all the time, well there you have it. have youre property back, do you like the pretty view now?nobody wants those buidings.

From levitz finito, 2/19/2008  10:39 PM

Use it for toilet paper, thats all its worth now

From ameeta jain, 2/19/2008  1:34 PM

I have some &700 worth of merchandise credit from Levitz store but am unable to find any store to purchase merchandise. I need to know what to do with that MC.

From Old Seamans, 2/2/2008  10:02 AM

If he was getting 9M, he wouldn't be looking to be a DM for a small group of independent Ashley stores in No Jersey. Maybe he can do the same for them that he did for Seamans and Levitz. TAP TAP TAP

From current emp, 1/23/2008  11:40 PM

eric.
Klaussner made the Cunningham a sage reclining sofa then when levitz tried to make more money it was made by LF15 lee furniture from china good luck.

also I hear that mark scott got 9 million buy out for his contract

From Guest, 1/23/2008  4:54 AM

But today hilco is eating whats left of levitz corps, our floor looks bare and sad, the store looks bigger we really are no longer salespeople and frankly this is making me hate customers ,you nkow the one"yall was eXpensive no wonder why yall went out of bigness" really come on.But watever-best of luck to everyone

From Guest, 1/23/2008  4:40 AM

I have been with levitz for the past 5 years and stuck with the company during the reconstruction, as a rookie i understand that the oldtimers would have never let new sales people change the floor rules, well thats what happened,it was obious to me.part time "kids" come in for there Hourly paychecks "up" ing everyone

From Laughing my ass off!!, 1/17/2008  7:46 AM

The west coast was what killed Levitz profitability so good luck and by 2009 it's gonna be

Levitz who??????????????
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

From HAHAHA YES!!, 1/16/2008  6:40 PM

Heard from a little birdy that the levitz name has been purchased for 6.3 million dollars, and there are allready plans for begining to mid 2009 to start with 7 stores on a smaller scale on the west coast, looks like you cant kill a giant completely, hahahahahahaha YES!!!!!

From eric, 1/15/2008  4:34 PM

Does anyone know who the supplier is for the Cunningham line of Levitz furniture? Hoping to find the reclining sofa. In general I (was) a big fan of the sofas that you could take apart...a big bonus here in NYC where moving can be a real pain with small hallways and doorways, etc.

Thanks so much!

From Guest, 1/5/2008  4:13 PM

what happened to andy ashuckla from concord?

From FORMER LEVITZ EMPLOYEE JUST LEFT, 1/5/2008  1:11 PM

*ATTENTION ALL CURRENT LEVITZ EMPLOYEES*** RIP OFF ALERT!!!! WARNING!!! DON;T TRUST THE CO. TO PAY YOU!!!
DON'T BE SURPISED IF YOU SEPERATE EARLY FROM THE COMPANY AND THEY KEEP ALL OF YOUR EARNED, FINALIZED COMMISSION SALES MONEY THAT YOU EARNED AND THEY OWE YOU AND WON'T PAY YOU FOR. IF YOU'RE READING THIS AND YOU DID THIS TO YOUR EMPLOYEES SUCH AS MYSELF THEN YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE AND I'M NOT DONE WITH YOU YET MY FRIEND

From Former Levitz from S. Cal, 1/4/2008  4:52 AM

For Ev....

They will get NOTHING for staying till end. :'(

From Ev, 1/3/2008  12:08 AM

is any employee getting any perks or package for staying till the end?

From Guest, 12/28/2007  11:18 AM

For Ida.
I say go reselect, pick mdse up yourself. And you're done.
If you don't want to do that...
Go to the store, ask for a record of the mdse received when it was sent back.
Send a copy to MC, explaining that if you do not have the mdse in your home and it won't ever be delivered, that the whole transaction becomes like a "FRAUDULENT" act against your credit card. Use that word in any way you can that will make sense in a sentence....and good luck.

From Guest, 12/25/2007  10:53 PM

To Levitz Emp. That was a horrible thing to say to Ida. I hope she gets her money back and you never find another job. The furniture at Levitz was sub par to begin with; what is she going to get stuck with now?

From seymour, 12/25/2007  5:09 AM

To all Levitz employees, past and present
Here's wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Very Happy New Year!
To those that are staying for the liquidation sale, good luck when this is over. Hope you all find good jobs and good fortune.

From levitz emp, 12/25/2007  2:32 AM

Hey BK this levitz employee has one thing to say to you
and enjoy your couch. and have a great holiday

To Ida if the furniture is not in your home go down to the store and pick out something else your not getting your money back so get something for it before it's to late.

From Guest, 12/24/2007  1:11 PM

Levitz is getting what they deserve. I'm a consumer and was disappointed by the service that company displayed. HORRIBLE.

I feel bad for the suckers Levitz employed... But then again these are the same people that gave me HORRIBLE service after the sale.

"You'll love it at Levitz" Yeah right! Good riddance.

Now get over here and fix this nasty couch you sold me!

From ida, 12/23/2007  8:48 PM

I did file a dispute with my credit card company immediately after I returned the furniture, which was over one month ago. They are not making it easy for me, believe me. The put a conditional credit on my account and they are still investigating. Two days ago they sent me a letter saying they didn't have all the information they needed from me and were putting the charge back on my bill. I called and asked what additional information could they possibly need and faxed over the sales receipt for the 3rd time. Now they need to know what color I was suppose to get and what color I actually got and can I prove it. Why does it seem so easy for everyone else to get their money back and Mastercard is turning this into a nightmare for me!

From oldtimer, 12/23/2007  8:00 PM

IDA...IDA...IDA
DID YOU EVER DO LIKE YOU WERE TOLD. FILE A DISPUTE CHARGE WITH YOUR CREDIT CARD CO. "GOODS NEVER DELIVERD NEVER RECEIVED" DO WHAT I SAID OR FORGET IT!!!!

From pradi, 12/20/2007  7:52 AM

freedLevitzSlave,
Thanks for the reply. Best of luck for your new venture after Levitz shuts down.

Regards.

From FreedLevitzslave, 12/18/2007  11:47 PM

Pradi- it is Klaussner and palliser respectively.
Fuzzy- is that you Fazal? Your days of arrogance and doing as you please are numbered. After you and your cohort Andy return what was stolen, they are going to can both of you. I must say it couldn't have happened to a more deserving pair. After such a long tenur at Levitz how could you take what was not yours? I have no pity for either of you. Hopefully betryal is not going to be what Levitz is remembered for. I have spoken to many, many customers who are very distraught to see Levtiz go. Many of them have only purchased from Levtiz for 20 years or more and don't have other places like it by them. I always thought of Levitz as an oppertunity that changed my life and helped my family, and I will alway be thankful to this company for what they have done for me. Though my name shows my anger and fustration, I will be here till the doors are locked and the light goes out.

From pradi, 12/18/2007  3:08 PM

Can someone in this forum who works or has worked with Levitz, please tell me the original supplier/vendor for Levitz's Panache Collection (Living Room) and the Midtown Collection (Bed Room)?

I have a part of these collections & was planning to get the rest of the pieces sometime.

From Ida, 12/17/2007  9:01 PM

I would like to know who John S.'s credit card company is because after nearly one month of trying to get my money back from my credit card company for furniture that was delivered in the wrong color, I am still nowhere. I refused delivery on the furniture after Levitz Customer Service told me to and they told me I could get a refund (as it also states on the receipt) but they neglected to tell me they filed for Chapter 11 the very same day (apparently employees weren't aware of this). I spoke to everyone there is, including the lawyers for Levitz. For those who paid cash, you can file in small claims court but get in line. It could take years before you see any money and you probably will never get your full amount back. Everyone tells me not to worry since I paid by credit card, but it seems that nothing is getting done. In the meantime, I am worried that by the time my credit card makes a decision on my problem, there will be no furniture left and all I will have left of Levitz is a huge credit card bill and nothing to show for it.

From Ex Seamans, 12/11/2007  5:43 PM

Please turn off the light. And so it goes.

From Guest, 12/8/2007  11:36 PM

... and thousands of others. When a company goes chapter 7 literally everybody just leaves, unless the liquidator on-site has made them a deal to stay. They usually run an inventory report then turn off the computer, or at least ignore it.

The mindless computer sent that message. Levitz has ceased to exist.

From FRUSTRATED, 12/8/2007  7:19 PM

SOMEONE FROM LEVITZ OR MAYBE IT IS A COMPUTER GLITCH JUST E-MAILED ME AND STATED THAT MY FURNITURE WILL BE DELIVERED ON JANUARY 19, 2008. THEY CAN'T DO THIS IF HILCO TOOK OVER RIGHT?

From FRUSTRATED, 12/8/2007  7:14 PM

WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF ME GETTING MY CASH BACK? IF I FILE AT SMALL CLAIMS COURT?

From FRUSTRATED, 12/8/2007  7:06 PM

I WAS ABOUT TO GO DOWN TO THE LEVITZ STORE THURSDAY 12/6 EVENING AROUND 6:30PM, BUT SOMETHING TOLD ME TO CALL THE STORE FIRST. I CALLED AND SPOKE TO THE MANAGER, AND HE TOLD ME THAT I COULD PICK OUT ANYTHING ON THE FLOOR THAT WILL EQUAL THE VALUE ON THE FLOOR. I WAS PREPARING TO GO DOWN TO THE STORE RIGHT AWAY AND HE TOLD ME TO COME THE NEXT DAY. OF COURSE I WAS GOING TO JUMP AT THAT DAMN OPPORTUNITY OF GETTING ANYTHING I COULD ON THE FLOOR,TO THE CASH VALUE I PUT DOWN WHICH WAS $1,000 ON A BEDROOM SET. HOWEVER, WHEN I GOT TO THE STORE ON THURSDAY AT 2:30PM I WAS STOPPED AND TOLD THAT I WOULD HAVE TO GO TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT. I WAS TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THIS OPPORTUNITY, I WANTED TO GET ANYTHING FOR THE AMOUNT OF MY MONEY OF $1,000.00 AND THESE -ssES TOLD ME NO, IMMEDIATELY I KNEW I WAS SCREWED. SO IF I TAKE THIS TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT, WILL I BE WASTING MY TIME?

From Guest, 12/8/2007  12:46 PM

Sadly, the entire purpose of a chapter 11 is to 'protect' the -ssets in an orderly way. In your case, the vendor that sold Levitz your merchandise probably was never paid, nor were others. The court will add up all those that are owed, then add up all the -ssets, and dole them out accordingly.

The biggest asset will be the 10s of millions of dollars Hilco and others offered as a bid to take over the remaining property. Essentially, Levitz was forced to sell everything to generate cash, even themselves. By definition all their assets are less than what they owe everyone.

The other legal shame is not all people owed are treated exactly equally, and unfortunately you will be in the lowest cl-ss with many others. For example, anyone that delivered goods to them in the last 15 days is in a higher group. It's almost like they are allowed to go get their stuff back, though not exactly that easy.

This is the shame of the US Bankruptcy code. 150 years ago there was no 'protection', but everything was paid as sold or delivered. Hopefully when your friend made the offer you got merchandise that would equal your down-payment. That was a window of opportunity you should have taken. Many others won't get that chance.

In small claims action the first issue is, 'are there -ssets?' It's like sueing the 18 year old that cuts your gr-ss because he mowed down a $500 bush. He (and now Levitz), have nothing to sue.

From to frusterated, 12/8/2007  12:44 PM

It is Hilco, not Helco. Google it, they ARE on the internet. Good luck to you.

From FRUSTRATED, 12/8/2007  6:12 AM

THE BIGGEST MISTAKE I COULD EVER DO IS TO GO BACK TO LEVITZ TO MAKE A CASH DEPOSIT ON A BEDROOM SET, I STRUGGLED TO PAY THE BALANCE FOR. WHICH THE DAMN STORE MADE OFF WITH MY HARD STRUGGLED $1,000. I CALLED THE STORE IMMEDIATELY AFTER HEARING ABOUT THE CLOSE OUT AND SPOKE TO A MANAGER (GERALD)WHO WORKED IN THE DOWNTOWN BROOKLYN STORE, I KNEW HIM FOR YEARS,AND STILL I GOT SCREWED. HE TOLD ME TO COME TO THE STORE AND PICK OUT ANY THING ON THE STORE FLOOR THAT WOULD EQUAL MY DOWN PAYMENT, I WENT DOWN TO THE DAMN STORE AND THE SUCKER SALESPEOPLE WHO WERE LEFT WITH THE BURDEN TO HANDLE THE IRATE CUSTOMERS STATED ALL CUSTOMERS WOULD HAVE TO GO TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT. YOU KNOW THAT IS SO DAMN SCREWED! NOW YOU SCREWED OUT OF YOUR FURNITURE, MONEY AND TOLD TO GO TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT. WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS IT WORTH THE TIME GOING TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT IF THERE IS NO MORE LEVITZ, WHO THE HELL CAN YOU SUE TO GET YOUR MONEY BACK? THEY STATED THAT HELCO LIQUIDATORS TOOK OVER? BUT THEY DO NOT EXIST ON THE INTERNET? CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME ADVICE? SHOULD I GIVE IT A SHOT AND GO TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT?

From Guest, 12/8/2007  3:45 AM

Get ready to lose your lunch but all of you that got a steady paycheck for the last 12 years need to thank the people that somehow over the years CONVINCED PEOPLE WITH MONEY to throw it down the WELL THAT LEVITZ PROVED IT WAS.

Those people were named Tom and Prentice and Alan and Ed and even Mike B -believe it or not- or this would have happened way back. Go ahead, say it would have been better if they didn't get the money but a lot of people put a lot of food on family tables for the last 12 years.

The only real life lesson is when people named Tom or Alan or Ed or anybody that seems to know the secret asks for your money DON'T GIVE IT TO THEM. Sorry, its not funny, our work world is finished, so lets move on and stay in touch. You never know when you will need a reference.

From Guest, 12/8/2007  3:27 AM

Hey 'Try Being-' and 'observer-', do you see the big blank spaces in the thread? That's the Webmaster REMOVING WHOLE COMMENTS that are too inflamatory.

Don't worry about anybody trying to be the shepherd here. You will be very surprised how soon this AND ALL THE LEVITZ RELATED boards will disappear. There will be nobody left that cares. How lond did the Helig board hang around? A month?

From Guest, 12/8/2007  1:56 AM

...sign

From Guest, 12/8/2007  1:54 AM

To John S.
There is no more Levitz. Levitz is gone. Kaput, washed up, GONE. Levitz is a big sin on the side of a building, like a memorial at this point..."Levitz WAS here."
If the Credit card Co. returned your money,(very generous) then sell the furniture that you, (unlike others who have no recourse but to WAIT and wonder...
because their delivery time has been pushed out)...you can sell your furniture and shop somewhere else, with the fore-thought now to measure the furniture and your space before you set the delivery for your purchase...it is also advisable that you are home to inspect the furniture when it's delivered.
Good luck to you and best of luck to Levitz employees left with the liquidators. Tough times all around.

From observer, 12/8/2007  1:38 AM

To Try Being Helpful Please- Who made you the forum monitor? Get a life!

From John S, 12/7/2007  9:04 PM

I purchased a furniture set from Levitz in CA 4 days before they file for chapter 11 and the furniture got delivered 2 days after Levitz file for bankruptcy. (Obviously I received no call from them stating the chapter 11 issue and the fact that they will not be able to honor the sales terms and condition after they deliver the furniture) After delivery I found out that it is not fitting the room that I intended to put the furniture (I was not home during delivery time and one of my friends accepted it). According to sales terms and conditions, which is printed in the back of the receipt, if there is fitting issue customer can ask to return and they should get the furniture and keep 25% restocking fee and refund the remaining money. I was OK with it and called them and let them know. After long ignorance finally after 10 days they told me that they will not pick the furniture up and I can do what ever I want. Since I paid with credit card, I called the company and told them the situation and they return the money and told me to contact levitz to pick up the furniture. I called and they are still refusing to pick it up. Since I see some people in this message board has been working at Levitz, I was wondering if any body nows how this situation will be handled.

From Guest, 12/7/2007  8:45 PM

Joyce, Hope for the delivery.
I am sure you will not see a refund.
Levitz is gone.
You may see your msde...
I think there are still containers out there to pull orders into January. No doubt orders will be filled according to invoice/date of purchase and of course availablity.

Good luck.

From Joyce, 12/7/2007  2:34 PM

I'm just waking up! I purchased a dining room set in N. Cal. in Oct, with delivery to be made in S. Cal. in November (right before Thanksgiving). Well, my delivery date has been pushed back to January 9th...What gives. Will I loose my money? Like a dork, I paid cash.... Is there anyway to get my merchandise? or am I just SOL.

From Try Being Helpful Please, 12/7/2007  12:56 PM

"Steve, don't take possession of the Levitz furniture. Chances are you will regret it. Find another wife"

"Oh I forgot. If you beleive the signs you're seeing in a Levitz store today.......I have some great ocean property in Oklahoma that you might be interested in
purchasing"

Every forum on the internet has somebody that posts useless trash. These are perfect examples.

From Irving, 12/7/2007  11:48 AM

Sorry to hear what's happening at Levitz. How many
emploees do they have?

From To Steve c, 12/7/2007  11:18 AM

Oh I forgot. If you beleive the signs you're seeing in a Levitz store today.......I have some great ocean property in Oklahoma that you might be interested in
purchasing.

From To Steve C, 12/7/2007  11:15 AM

Steve,
The manufactor warrants your furniture for a year. The furniture store you purchase from services this warranty. If the store you want to pick up from is not in business. You'll have to get that couch back to
where that company manufactors their furniture. (China)
I've been selling for a long time and every store I've ever worked for has serviced the furniture they sell.
Knowing the energy you and your wife put into this purchase,just proceed with caution if you decide to proceed.

From Nikki, 12/7/2007  10:00 AM

Hey, NoTgOnnAHaPpeN, it is happening, and anyone who stays with that same "union BS" pay structure should refuse to work and get themselves fired. Collecting $400
a week is better than earning $300 a week. To all my BFFs at Levitz coorperate, surprise!!! your S%@# DOES stink.

From NoTgOnnAHaPpeN, 12/7/2007  6:22 AM

The one year warranty is still in full effect on new merch, we have signs saying this all over our store that are being posted by the new folk. Is it true that comm. is staying the same, what bs, we were told so many lies over the last month its sick. I feel like a pawn in a chest game and I cant believe what the company is doing to all of these customers. Can anyone give me some heads up on when and how this will prob. end?
How long does it take to clear a whole store?
If new company takes over location, are the existing pawns offered a position?
WHY IS THE REPS FROM hILCO, ETC. ACTING SO FUNNY AROUND THE -ssOCIATES? IT'S ALMOST AS IF THEY PLAN ON SCREWING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF US IN SOME WAY

From Guest, 12/7/2007  4:11 AM

Well it was a pleasure working with everyone at levitz, and by the way andy ashukla from concord is a great person so dont bust his % . During my time here i worked with some of the most knolegable, smart, and really,awsome i mean my crew all have characters, some should have been mayors or city councel no joke .       it really Was a pleasure .           ;           ;

From the dark side, 12/7/2007  2:16 AM

Steve, don't take possession of the Levitz furniture. Chances are you will regret it. Find another wife

From SteveC, 12/7/2007  12:55 AM

Well, the furniture is exactly what my wife wants and it will be at the warehouse for pick up tomorrow.We bought it on sale and received no interest WITH monthly payments until January 2011, so we can make 36 payments and have it paid off in 3 years with no interest. At least we will have the funiture. I'm afraid if we said nevermind we might get stuck with the bill AND no furniture. And the part about no company to back up a warranty? I believe the manufacturer of the furniture offers a 1 year warranty. I have not seen many furniture stores that would do much anything after the sale anyway. I'm sure there are some, just very few these days. We have decided to take delivery as long as they are in factory sealed boxes that shows no signs of transportation damage.

From To Steve C, 12/7/2007  12:16 AM

Steve, you don't have to take that furniture that is being financed thru Household Retail. They don't send Levitz the money until it's delivered, and as long as you don't have the furniture there's nothing to charge .
Why would you take delivery on furniture that has no
company to back up the warranty?
I left Levitz two years ago, but I know that's one thing that hasn't changed.
Find furniture from a good store and don't stress.

From current emp, 12/6/2007  5:52 PM

You financed with HSBC this is the bank that back the Levitz card they give Levitz the money once your furniture is delivered you are paying them off not Levitz. Levitz got your money long ago. Don't miss your due date or you will get hit with 25.99% interest and if you got your 1st bill make sure you don't have anything on it called debt cancellation charge this is what we call tap and you are getting rip off with it call HSBC and cancel it ASAP 1-800-853-4171 GOOD LUCK

From Tim, 12/6/2007  3:25 PM

Does anyone know if I bought/financed something from Levitz a few months ago how the collection of my account will work since it's not due until 1/2010? I would imagine the creditor's of Levitz will assume this receivable and manage it. Is there any worry of an early payment demand? Any crazy chance we can get by without having to pay that off?

From Guest, 12/6/2007  12:39 PM

SteveC,
Get a truck and go get your mdse.
A 3000.00 sale is fairly average at Levitz,
imagine many 10000.00 and more individual sales
company wide....When a company liquidates the
possobilities for confusion are wide spread....
Try and get your hands on what you purchased
asap. Household gave the $ to Levitz,I don't imagine
they will give you $ too and take the hit.
Good luck.

From SteveC, 12/6/2007  10:36 AM

We plan on taking delivery ASAP. We bought on our Levitz charge card which is thru Household Retail Services. Don't we have some kind of protection thru them?

From good luck, 12/5/2007  11:39 PM

Get what you can while you can, you don't want to be at the end of the unsecured creditors list. You'll never get a refund so get the merchandise.
I know many salespeople trying to get their customers what they can before the liquidators step in.

Good luck!

From SteveC, 12/5/2007  11:28 PM

We purchased over 3K in furniture from our local Levitz store on October 21st and set up a January 5th 2008 pick up date. We were contacted by our sales person today and told that we need to pick up our furniture this weekend or we will not get it. Also, she said that we were buying it as-is now, so if there was something wrong with it we will be SOL. Is this correct?

From Guest, 12/5/2007  12:09 AM

We are all pretty mad our jobs are gone so go ahead and blame somebody but the latest 'people who head' levitz are like the 10th reason we are finished.

They changed all the furniture to expensive stuff years ago for a while and that was the start.
That merger was probly no choice for surviving but those managers stuffed there rotten buying and customer service down our throats.
They never had enough sales people when we still had lots of customers. It was probly good for us at the time but bad for the company.
The real thing is every time they burned out or C11 we lost the good people.
Dont waste time blaming this last group they didnt have a chance but I'm sure they still got lots of money for trying.

Did you see in the deleted titanic at the end when the ghosts were all dancing on the sunk ship? We finally get to stop dancing and move on. The ship has been sunk for a long time. good luck everybody and look out for each other.

From Lee, 12/4/2007  10:55 PM

I hope the people who head Levitz Furniture NEVER find a job in Corporate America again. These are the people to blame. They make six figure salaries and have no respect for the customers who help pay for their salaries. They are ones who ran the company to the ground. I hope the next time they purchase furniture for their own homes they experience the same problems thousands of their customers experienced. Then, and only then, will they understand.

From this just in..., 12/3/2007  5:26 PM

How will food kitchens and homeless shelters across the U.S. handle the influx of Levitz employees? News at 11:00...

From Southbaylevitz, 12/3/2007  3:25 PM

I heard that the same salesperson was on almost all of the stores orders even though he did not sell the furniture, and he is delivering an absurd amount? Is that legal, it sounds like stealing?

From Freed Levitzslave, 12/3/2007  3:17 PM

I heard certain store managers are letting some salespeople do what they want, even letting them sell things that should go to Customers that bought first? You walk in to the store and there is sold signs on stuff by certain salespeople [wow look around the store...its all the same salesperson!!!]Did the Liquidatiors autherize a free-for-all? Or is managerment [oh big surprise]just letting their personal pets do as they please? This is unacceptable, people who purchased first, espeacialy before the chaper 11 filing, should get first pick. I do know first hand that certain store managers spent more time kiss thier district managers backside than tring to help their team or Customers [ah! what a co-winkee-dink, it the same manager having a free-for-all!]Well, i'am not here to point anyone out [um cough, cough Andy in Concord Ca., cough cough], but I hope with Levitz's last breath they do right by the Customer.

From to can you get rid of the smell, 12/3/2007  2:06 PM

I am confident that my skills would blow YOUR skills out of the water. You seem really angry, have you considered anger management? Oh and BTW, I worked for Homelife and no one had a problem with that. Who are you anyway? This is a Levitz message board and you obviously dont work for them. Are you at Mc Donalds? Is that where the bitterness comes from? Go take your happy pill or find a new board to be negative on. PS, the "ss" was me calling you an -ss, but the boards deleted it, it wasnt me signing off as "ss". LOL

From Guest, 12/3/2007  1:44 PM

ss, it might be BS, UNLESS YOU'VE HEARD IT MORE THAN ONCE.

This IS supportive. You better be ready to show your skills and better not think your new job thinks working for levitz was a great thing. Even tho we all know levitz choking wasnt your fault but tell me what did you think of helig or homelife people you interviewed.

From to can you get rid of the smell, 12/3/2007  12:42 PM

"No Levitz Allowed?" Oh BS, that is the dumbest thing I have read so far on these message boards. Be supportive, not an ignorant -ss...

From Can you get rid of the smell?, 12/3/2007  2:31 AM

This is a serious problem. Those just leaving will be sorry to hear No Levitz Allowed by lots of companies. Anybody that stayed thinks they are real loyal. They just think you are pretty much a loser that didnt let go of the titanic rail until she was about 100 feet under water.

From Guest, 12/2/2007  5:35 PM

I just called one of my friends who is still at Levitz, he said that the whole thing is gone, tuesday they are having the liqudation sale and the funny thing is the sales people have been promised to get paid in cash any thing that they sell, I worked for Levitz for a long time I jumped ship 2 yrs ago, to see the company go down like this is a shame, it was so mismanaged, all the best to all my friends that are still there.

From MarkScottFan, 12/1/2007  12:08 AM

Levitz was a company that had no regard for the customers or the staff. It was a disgrace the way they screwed the sales staff with the new commission structure that no one understood. It was pathetic the way management tried to beg us not to vote for a union. It was a slap in the face the way they flooded the floor.Its a shame that this once great company is going under thats to people like MS and his cohorts. We can only hope that these sleeveballs get a job and get the same treatment that they gave the hard-working staff that will soon be working at Bobs, Raymour, Sleepys, and Jennifer. Its been real. Ciao!

From ByeBye, 11/30/2007  5:51 PM

Well, this is a sad but expected end to a once great company. The Levitz of old was a huge success with the warehouse/showroom concept. The problem is that they didn't change their business model when it became outmoded soon enough. Then they really never decided what the model should be and who their target customer was. They didn't regionalize and had a one size fits all mentality. A shame when a company goes down after almost 100 years in business. The real Levitz has been dead since 1995. R.I.P

From Yankel, 11/30/2007  1:21 AM

Ah, yes, it's amazing how the hedge fund managers pull profits out of hi-ticket misery! What magic they do: First they inject gobs of capital from unsuspecting investors (offstage, they place a rabbit in the hat), then they squeeze every last ounce of cash out of the bargain and make it look real profitable (compress hat as much as possible), thereby getting more people to come in and buy furniture and more eager investors to crowd the cash account. Then they pull every last cent out of the cash account (smash brim against table top), then they pull the hat out from under the veil of their back-room deals, and voila: there's no effing rabbit left!!

It's just gone! But wait! There's even more money to be made selling the leases and the crap inventory to liquidators who are so directly connected to, could it be Morty Seaman, a major investor, maybe even a silent partner in Great American.

So sorry folks, the rabbit has indeed been disappeared: he's being marinated right now for a Christmas dinner, but you can't have any. The investors get to suck the bones dry!!

And if you were thinking that maybe you've all been deceived a little, well, tough tarts--that's insider finance for you! What a great country!

From Guest, 11/29/2007  11:02 PM

Any fool who buys Guardsman protection needs to have their head examined. All of these products are a scam. Guardsman, Guardian,Montage are all excuses for poor quality furniture from "crap" greedy companies.gaul

From ASHby, 11/29/2007  9:53 PM

I was a the bankruptcy auction in NY that ended early this morning.

Levitz is gone. GOB to start soon. Ashley will grow as the dominent force taking almost 20 West Coast locations. Raymour & Flanigan continues its stranglehold on the Northeast taking almost 20 locations around New York.

The rest is going....going....gone.

Hilco & PFP doing the GOB.

Send out the resumes. Ashley & R&F are hiring talent.

hope you loved it at Levitz

From Vaughn, 11/29/2007  5:36 PM

So I bought furniture from Levitz on October 15th with the Guardsman protection plan. There was an accident with the furniture on November 28. Now I'm trying to get someone to fix/repair my furniture and no one knows anything. Finally Guardsman tells me that the company is bankrupt and is no longer honoring claims and that Levitz needs to refund my protection plan.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what to do? I've contacted the manager at the place I bought it from and they said they're contacting corporate. What else can I do to make sure I can either get my furniture fixed, replaced, or get a refund? Isn't this a breach of contract & false advertising? Any suggestions, please e-mail me vbechtol@hotmail.com

From Nikki, 11/29/2007  9:02 AM

Yo Hopeful,
It sounds like the only kind of paper you've been reading
is the rolling kind.

From LevitzHopefull, 11/29/2007  6:04 AM

*****Burn, I have worked for Levitz Furniture going on 12 months now and I happen to disagree. Yes, Levitz has had its fair share of problems but i believe they have a fighting chance to survive. There would have to be some dramatic corporate changes but you watch, i know a deep pocketed entrepreneur will latch on to the pitiful corp. now known as Levitz and turn it into the gold mine that lies beneath the name. If Levitz does chain the doors and disappear, I’ll be the poor sap standing at the door with the fu*#$% up on his face. I can see the potential in both the company and its dedicated employees and truly do believe that those who stick around will be smiling.

From StafoidX, 11/28/2007  11:58 PM

It appears to be that the company will be finally shutting down and a going out of business sale forthcoming. To those who stayed around after the ch 11 in 2005, i feel sorry for you, but you should have gotten out like I did. If you have any talent, there are plenty of stores who will hire you in a minute. I laughed when I heard last year that management didnt want to hire any salesperson who left the company and wished to come back. Instead they hired 21 yr olds with zero furniture experience. Pretty smart. And they have the nerve to open on Thanksgiving and ask its salespeople to work that day. Shows how they treat their people. A company that is literally weeks or days from closing, actually open on such a holiday. What a disgrace. I hope people like JC, the man who lowered commissions 3 weeks after looking us in the eye and telling us that he wouldnt, end up in the poorhouse. Better yet, never get hired by any reputable company....And Ive been out of the company over 2 years. Imagine how those still there feel. Take some time off, collect unemployment and start looking for a new job. Good luck.

From dudeman, 11/28/2007  8:25 PM

good luck to all the working stiffs

From nIKKI, 11/28/2007  3:01 PM

Levitz missed it agaim. Management thought they were "god" but for one letter they were "gob". Another error brought on by management oversight.

From to muffin, 11/28/2007  2:39 PM

no one can say 100% yet what is happening. the company is up for sale at auction today. it can be bought by someone going foward or by a liquidator to do a gob.

word on the street is no one is interested in go foward and it is 99% that it is going to liquidation

From fuzzy wuzzy, 11/28/2007  1:29 PM

mann   it 's all over the news now. why? punk -ss
zingerely and his corvett payments. i bet is nice iside that car, that leather "PAID FOR BY TAP"

From Muffin, 11/28/2007  12:00 PM

Nikki, YES what??? Reread the question. Someone buying Levitz or complete GOB?

From Nikki, 11/28/2007  7:47 AM

YES

From Muffin, 11/27/2007  9:37 PM

What exactly is suppose to happen on Thursday? Is Levitz being purchased by an investor or announcing a liquidation?

From Nikki, 11/27/2007  2:13 PM

Does anyone know who will be opening the stores on Thursday? Someone told me it was this new guy named Sheriff!

From Levitzslave, 11/26/2007  8:59 PM

Speacial hello to my freinds at Levitz in Concord. You have a great team with alot of salespeople who have been with us longer than I. Keep your heads up and hope for the best. [no I have not worked in that store].

From levitzslave, 11/26/2007  4:25 PM

Is this the end? I know all these other [nonlevitz]people are saying ha ha and bye bye, but what is the truth? It is so easy to kick us while we are down and Uppermanagement would never tell us the truth, it would be "chains on the door" before that would happen. After many years and so much hard work I find it hard to believe this is it. Middlemanagement just pushes the same old BS. I find it very sad that so many dedicated people would be treated this way, and that the truth may be that they [Management] doesn't know what is going to happen. Also, it seems strange that, with all the great salespeople making all those sales we still have no money? Where did it go? How can we be negative in cash when I have seen first hand, that we are doing really well? As stated on this comment string ealier, I agree with the "get tap and MLM & Email" speeches given to the salespeople on a daily basis, and the comments about management putting the hours on the sales people while Store Managers and District Managers send more Emails from home, while we slave away our weekends and holidays, it is out of hand. Who in our company hasn't heard a thousand complaints about our delivery service and management inability to reign them in? Or how we have no quality control in the Warehouses to open and inspect product before broken furniture is opened in front of a once happy and anxious Customer? How many of us have heard from a Customer who called our Corporate Office and called us at the store just to let us know they were treated like dirt? I know there are other people who have worked for Levitz like me, who have been here for many years and seen this backward mindstate at work, what happen to Customer Driven Sales? I am proud to work for a company almost a 100 years old, but do to inadequite management, we may never see that hundered years and that is a shame. The comment about Uppermanagement being open to suggestions is quaint, you must be one of them, look at my above comments and ignore them like you have been doing all the years I have made these suggestions and was brushed off, but if your listening- PUT THE CUSTOMER FIRST - [not just say you are] there is little more than that I can say to help you. I do have my head up and I still come to work, but my treatment and paycheck have made me question my positivity. The comment about "what color microfiber do you want", was great and I have said that many times over the past couple of years, but as an article I read said:"That's what happens when you can't buy what you wany, and must buy what you can.". As I see the clouds form over the bay area here in California, I wonder what will happen after the auction for Levitz...Do the clouds part,or does the rain[of Levitz great history] start to fall. This is not intended to be a venting, but a testament of what my eyes have seen and my ears have heard. So don't take this as a complaint, take it as an altimatum...do some thing about these problems or go somewere else, Levitz needs proactive leadership who is industry savy and can recognize problems and do something about them. If this is you send in your resume and lets make Richard Levitz proud of what he has created, and what we can create together.

From Nikki, 11/26/2007  2:45 PM

Hey Levitz 2 NC,
Who you working for?

From levitz 2 NC, 11/26/2007  10:46 AM

Here we go again. Why did you guys stay? After we weren't paid for months and all of us were fighting the repo man, fighting to stay out of foreclosure, no way to pay the creditors, changing our phone #'s, venting on this board, though not this thread, the other one. How could you forget? Some of us had to sell our house's and uproot our families because of Levitz. My credit is just now being repaired from all the mess 2 yrs. ago.

To my friends left still at Levitz, There has been a few of us who had to sell and leave, we are in NC. Let me tell you, I was happy to see Levitz employees and old Seamans employees working in Charlotte and Raleigh. We have all made it. Transition was hard but the payoff is great. We're selling 150k-200k per month here.

There's a way out, it's not that far away. Good Luck, and get the hell out of there already.

From walk like a turtle, 11/25/2007  9:45 PM

Levitzslaves-do like i say. Do you not read my emails?
I want you to put out balloons all over the parking lot, all over the store. So what if it makes us look like the cheap, tacky outfit that we really are. Lets attract customers in.
Take the sign and walk out on the street. It may make you look stupid, but i couldn't care less.
Tap! Tap! Tap! Emails! Emails! MLMs! MLMs! Thats whats going to save us. We may not sell any more furniture but we will go out in style. We will be #1 in Tap, Emails and Mlms. That IS what is important. Selling furniture is not our priority.
Now, i have sent you all 100+ emails today, i want some answers! Now!!

From Levitzslave, 11/23/2007  10:53 PM

I am currently depressed.

From walk like a turtle, 11/21/2007  10:50 PM

gobblegobble, its all hands on deck this weekend. Be there or be square. Order your food platters now. We gonna party till chapter 11 turns to chapter 7. Go team!!! Get us more taps and emails, that stuff makes me feel giddy all over. We don't really care about selling furniture. Chapter 7, here we come. YEEHAW!!

From Bob Car, 11/21/2007  7:06 PM

Stay home and give thanks with your friends and family. After, work on your job resume,your future working days are going to be very few with Levitz. If another company buys them out, they will most likely ask former employees to submit an application for employment.

From gobblegobble, 11/21/2007  6:43 PM

Should we work tomorrow on Thanksgiving? I am scheduled to work, but am worried I wont see the 100.00 they said they would pay us.

From Bob Car, 11/21/2007  6:32 PM

I filed in small claims court against Levitz Furniture in California and won by default. The judgment by the court was on October 1, 2007. They haven't payed and after several letters, have not responded. On Monday, November 11th. I filed a lien on any property held in Riverside county. They intend to sell all of their -ssets in auction soon and property must be free and clear. When filing I didn't know that they filed for Chapter 11. Does anybody know if I have to file any more legal papers? The amount is a little more than $1,000. It's hard to justify a lawyer.

From current emp, 11/21/2007  3:12 PM

IF YOU BUY ANYTHING BUY ONLY IN STOCK ITEMS AS OF MONDAY ON THE EAST COAST THE LAREDO, KHAKI BANTRY,HARGROVE WERE ALL IN STOCK IF THEY CANT DEL. WHAT YOUR LOOKING FOR IN 3 DAYS RUN. ON THANKSGIVING YOU CAN GET 25% OFF REG PRICES. THEY WILL BE OPEN 9-2
GOOD LUCK

From Sam, 11/21/2007  2:14 PM

Hello All,

I am planning to buy Leather Sofa with recliner. Any idea if there will be any good sale for thanksgiving or Christmas in either Levitz or living spaces or any other store.

Thanks

From leona, 11/21/2007  1:23 AM

Ida...Don't worry!!! The credit law is "services or goods not delivered" Just make sure you dispute it with your credit card Co. Relax and enjoy the holiday season. If you really want some security go on line to Clark Howard.com Call him and tell him your problem. With a little luck try to call him and get on the air wave and he will let everyone else know how to handle the problem and allert all the past buyers. If you have any problems your bank is the one to go after. Remember!!!!" SERVICES OR GOODS NOT DELIVERED." GO FOR IT......

From mmhmmm, 11/20/2007  8:36 PM

Can you say liquidation? Chapter 7? How about.. on the streets no job? No one will see the extra money promised for Thanksgiving.

From Gobble gobble, 11/19/2007  11:59 PM

Regarding being open on Thanksgiving; They say that managers that work that day get 200.00 and sales get 100.00, does anyone doubt that we will actually see that money if we do indeed work?

From ida, 11/19/2007  6:03 PM

There seems to be no positive end to this as I just spoke to Jeff Gati, District Manager, and he is singing the same song and dance; Levitz is under Chapter 11 and they cannot give refunds. My only hope now is that my credit card company can resolve this. In the meantime, I am going to file a claim with the NYS Attorney General's office and make good on my promise to write the both the local newspaper and NY Daily News. Consumers should be aware that if they shop at Levitz, it is at their own risk. I wish I had done my homework before I went there. This is a very expensive lesson to learn.

From toptapper, 11/19/2007  2:12 PM

What a debacle. MS should be prosecuted for fraud. It's amazing: These guys wouldn't listed to anyone; they had all the answers.

From ida, 11/18/2007  9:31 AM

I have been in contact with the executive assistant at customer service (2 different people) and have threatened to write to the local papers. I have also been in contact with someone at Kurtzman, Carson, Consultants who said that by order of the courts Levitz cannot give refunds. I have sent letters to their CEO and CFO and wait to see if I get replies. I also wrote to the Better Business Bureau and they are investigating. I will contact the regional manager and perhaps the federal trade commission anyway, just for the hell of it. Thanks. I will keep you informed.

From seymour, 11/18/2007  1:18 AM

Ida, before you take the store credit, its time to play some hardball. This is what i would do. I would call the store manager and ask for the phone number for the regional manager. I would then call the regional manager and tell him/her that either they credit my card back in full or i will call the Federal Trade Commission. This federal govt agency oversees all credit card companies. Further, i would tell the regional that i will picket in front of the store and tell all prospective customers why they should not shop at Levitz while they are in Chapter 11. Trust me, you will get a credit back on your card

From ida, 11/17/2007  11:59 AM

Seymour, thank you for your reply. I did take this up with my crdit card company and they did temporarily credit my account. Levitz is offering me store credit, which I would rather not have. Now I'm afraid that if I don't take the store credit and use it now, by the time my credit card company reaches a decision as to whether or not I will be responsbile for these charges, Levitz will be out of business and I will be left with nothing. I have contacted everyone I possibly could at Levitz, but because they are in chapter 11, it's like running into a brick wall. I have never had this happen so I didn't realize how serious this was. I don't think my credit card company will be able to resolve this, although I am not sure how that works anyway. I filled out the bankruptcy paperwork but was told that it could take years to resolve and it is unlikely I will get much money back.

From seymour, 11/17/2007  1:59 AM

Sal, go to kccllc.net; go to active cases, click on PLVTZ, Inc. All the court documents, motions, etc are all there

From Johnson, 11/16/2007  11:39 PM

I have some constructive criticism for you all. GO GET ANOTHER JOB! STOP WASTING YOUR TIME ON A DEADBEAT COMPANY! THEY LIED AND WILL CONTINUE TO LIE IN AN EFFORT TO KEEP YOU COLLECTING MONEY FROM CUSTOMERS WHO WILL NEVER RECIEVE THEIR FURNITURE. THE COMPANY WILL LIE TO GET MORE MONEY AND YOU WILL DO THE LYING FOR THEM AND NEVER EVEN GET PAID THAT COMMISION. ALL WHILE CALLING THE CUSTOMER EVERY WEEK TO EXPLAIN DELAYS ON ORDERS WHICH YOU WILL NEVER GET PAID. I DID IT ONCE AND I WILL NEVER RIP OFF ANOTHER CUSTOMER FOR SOME LYING, UNETHICAL CEO. Go to school and get educated. Go learn another trade. Or just go get another job. Don't lie and take anymore customers money to pay some ceo's salary on an order where you will never be paid. They can't can only close the doors this time because its less than 7 years.

From sal, 11/16/2007  10:19 PM

could someone be so kind to email the bankupty filing papers to me at s.stile@albawheelsup.com

Thanks very much.

From Nikki, 11/15/2007  4:14 PM

Wake up and smell the "levitz cafe". Ivory tower management has created another team of smoke and mirror competence. When people are put in positions that they don't know how to function, they resort to doing what they know, hence, levitz carries bed,bath and beyond type products mixed in with fortunoff patio furniture.
Levitz can be saved if someone is willing to invest in a strong, knowledgable management team that is industry savy. Without that, they're just getting more money to
"burn".

From seymour, 11/14/2007  10:04 PM

Ida, sorry to hear that you got caught in the Levitz mess. As long as you paid Levitz by credit card you should be ok. Contact your card company right away. Put the amount charged by Levitz in dispute since you don't have the product and have purchased elsewhere. Your credit card company should then release that amount for your use while they take it up with Levitz.
A warning to all customers of Levitz. If you must buy there, do not pay with cash, check or debit card. Use Levitz financing or pay with a major credit card. That way you have recourse if you don't get the merchandise you paid for. If you pay with cash, check or debit card you will probably lose your money. Things are very bleak at Levitz now. A shutdown and liquidation will happen very soon

From Ida, 11/14/2007  9:50 PM

I purchased furniture at Levitz and when I received it on 11/9, it wasn't the same as on the floor. I was told by customer service that I could return it for a refund. I called the store while the delivery person was still here and was told the same. I would just have to bring my credit card to the store to have it swiped. When I got to the store immediately after the drive left, I was told to come back the following Tuesday because they would have to wait for the furniture to be back at the warehouse in order to credit my card. In the meantime, I purchased furniture somewhere else thinking I was getting a refund (why wouldn't I, I was told by 3 different people). Well, when I went back, I was told that on Friday, 11/9, Levitz filed for bankruptcy and I could only get store credit. Now I am in a real bind because I purchased furniture that I need to pay for plus Levitz won't credit my card and I can't afford to loose the money I spent there, nor do I want store credit for over $2,800 in furniture. I am hoping to somehow get this resolved but so far no one at Levitz is helping me. They just keep telling me they are in bankrutcy. Why didn't someone tell me that when I went back on 11/9, since they were probably already aware of the situation. What can I do now??

From Guest, 11/14/2007  4:32 PM

I SURE HOPE WE GET A JUDGE THAT REALIZES LEVITZ CAN'T KEEP SCREWING IT'S VENDORS AGAN AND AND ONLY GETTING PENNIES ON THE DOLLAR. THEY NEED TO JUST GO AWAY. THEIR TOP MANAGEMENT IS NOT QUALIFIED AND THEIR BUYERS HAVE LOST WHAT IT TAKES TO MAKE GOOD DECISIONS

From SHARON, 11/14/2007  12:50 PM

FOOD FOR THOUGHT ~ THIS COMPANY NEEDS TO HIRE BILL BENTON AND ONCE AGAIN BECOME A SALES DRIVEN FORCE ~ THE SUITS JUST DON'T GET IT ~ HIRE THE BEST THEN TOSS A SADDLE ON THEM ~ i HAVE MANY FRIENDS IN BOTH COMPANIES ~ WICKS IS GOING DOWN THE SAME PATH ~ THEY JUST WONT EMPOWER THEIR STAFF ~ i HAVE ALSO WORKED FOR BOTH AND THE TRUTH IS WICKS SHOULD BE SCARED TO DEATH RIGHT NOW ~ LEVITZ IS HAVING PROBLEMS HOWEVER THEYHAVE THE ABILITY TO OVERCOME AND ONCE AGAIN BECOME THE TOP IN FURNITURE SALES- KEEP THE FAITH ~ HAVING WORKED FOR WICKS IN THE PAST i GIVE THEM TWO YEARS- BECAUSE THE MANAGERS ARE SCARED AND THREATEN THE SALES STAFF- TRUTH IS THE SALES STAFF IN BOTH COMPANIES WILL GROW IF YOU GIVE THEM THE POWER TO DO SO ~ REMEMBER SUITS OUT THERE ~ YOU MIGHT JUST BE WALKING THE SAME PATH, SO EMPOWER YOUR PEOPLE~

From Former Sales, 11/14/2007  11:07 AM

I feel for all the employees of Levitz. I worked there during the last Capt 11 and know the troubles that were inflicted on both the customers and employees.
There is a decided lack of purpose and direction. Although I know it will cause the current people there a hardship, I am hoping that a GOB sale will finally end this floundering. It is time for the agony to end.
The old expression of beating a dead horse seems to apply here. Best wishes to all the good people that remain and hope you can go on to better things.

From seymour, 11/14/2007  4:56 AM

Levitz is in a very dire liquidity crisis. At this point it looks like they will definately close shop. There is not enough cash to operate but for a very few weeks. A sale of assets is coming up in short order followed by the GOB sale

From LEONA, 11/14/2007  1:28 AM

YES IT IS A TIME TO BE POSITIVE, BUT HOW CAN WE. I HAVE BEEN WITH THE COMPANY A FEW YEARS. TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT WHAT WE AS SALES HAVE GONE THRU.COMMISIONS CUT OF AT LEST 30% MATTRESS SPIFFS OF 50% OR MORE. HOLIDAY AND VACATION CUTS OF 100% AND MORE. MORE HOURS AND ON MINIMUM WAGE. TO MANY HOURS AND CUT INTO WHAT COMMISIONS YOU HAVE MADE. TRY TO TALK TO UPPER MANAGEMENT AND THEY DON'T EVEN WANT TO LISTEN. ALL THEY CARE IS ADDONS.
TAP!TAP!TAP! CPP! CPP! EVEN THE PAY ON CPP WAS CUT BY OVER 70%. I'M SORRY BUT IT IS HARD TO HAVE A GOOD ATTITUDE TOWARD THE UPPER AND MIDDLE MANAGEMENT. I KNOW FOR CERTAIN THAT NONE OF THEM TOOK A PAY CUT!!!! LOOK AT THE NEW PEOPLE THEY HIRE. THEY JUST WANT SOMEONE TO PUT IN THE HOURS AND THEY NEVER TRAIN ANY OF THEM. MOST OF THEM YOUNG WITH NO RESPONSIBLITY. YES GOING TO TRY AND STICK WITH IT. BUT WITH NO IMPROVENT IT IS GOING TO BE BYE! BYE! PROBABLY NOT BY ME BUT WITH CHAINS ON THE DOOR.
WOULD LIKE SOMEONE TO POST A MESSAGE THAT DISAGREES WITH WHAT I HAVE SAID

From farroyo, 11/14/2007  1:06 AM

it,s ashame,after the passing of Allen Rosenberg the ceo and the departing of Tom martinez the executive vice president of merchandising,this company has taken a deep dive into disaster.no one wants to see a agiant fall,it only shows how vonurable our indstries really is.i'm sure Raymore flanagens ,Bob,s or Ashley home stores will pick up the slack however,it is in these times that we need to support one another,no one wants to see many of these people loss there jobs.

From Guest, 11/13/2007  9:48 PM

Rushell is right.Logic cl "How about some constructive thought out there, folks? I would guess that Levitz management is open to most any input at this point". It will never work.Levitz mangment was never open.Middle managment was only cooking the number.1 B company did only 480 M Why? Go to store levell talk to the front line ask.
Thanks

From Guest, 11/13/2007  1:32 PM

Thanks for your comment Logic Cal. It is my hope that postings to this site contain constructive ideas and provide information that Levitz employees and creditors find useful.

When Levitz filed for bankruptcy the last time there were more than 500 posts... some of the most nasty and personal I've seen. So many that I finally deleted the entire message string.

The quality and tone of the posts spoke volumes about the type of employees who worked at Levitz, the corporate culture and what seemed to me to be a general lack of communication with employees throughout the process.

Regards,
Russell

From Logic Cal, 11/13/2007  1:07 PM

This blog needs some serious cleaning. Venting your fear and frustration in public does nothing to help the industry figure out how to cope with this problem. I came here in hopes of learning something constructive about the mess, and , after wading through all the BS vitriolic bombast, am sorely disappointed.
Selling into a Chapter situation is about as safe a credit risk as exists out there. The company clearly needs a refreshing change of direction, and from what is said aboive, hasn't found one. Certainly, managment guidance at the operating level is one key, but where should they be directing the preciously scarce resources now to pull something out of this?
How about some constructive thought out there, folks? I would guess that Levitz management is open to most any input at this point, and the banks and vendors are deep enough in to be receptive. The answers may not be in saving what is, but the industry surely should not suffer the complete loss of this important channel of distribution. Give it some constructive thought worthy of your years in this wondeful industry, and make this a blog worthy of reading and reflecting on.

From old timer, 11/13/2007  1:56 AM

TAKE A LOOK AT THIS WEEK-END. A LOT LIKE IT THE PAST. IF YOU HAVE $2500 TO SPEND WE WILL GIVE YOU A DEAL!! SAME AS BEFORE OR SIMILAR. THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT THE
CUSTOMER WHO ONLY WANTS A $500, $800, $900 SALE, EVEN
$200, OR $300. SPEND THE BIG BUCKS OR GO DOWN TO YOU LOCAL FURNITURE STORE. GOD HAVE MAID THEM SUCESSFUL. MOST PEOPLE DON'T CARE ABOUT THE LONG TERM FINANCE UNLESS IT IS A BIG TICKET SALE. THEY WANT THE BEST PRICE AND VALUE THEY CAN GET. WE HAVE WALKED HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS OUT THE DOOR BECAUSE WE DON'T GIVE A CRAP ABOUT THE SMALL SALES, ONLY THE BIG ONE. THIS WEEK END WAS VETERANS DAY. AD WAS RAN A WEEK AGO. DIDN'T CARRY THE PRICES OVER FOR SUNDAY AND MONDAY. NEW AD. NO ONE KNEW ABOUT THE SPECIAL HOURS. HALF THE STORE NOT ON SALE. NOTHING TO OFFER THEM UNLESS "THEY SPEND $1500 OR MORE" SAME OLD SH____. WERE DOOMED PEOPLE.    CHAINS ON THE DOOR BY WEEKEND. THE SAME PEOPLE WHO RUN US WILL GO OFF TO ANOTHER RETAILER AND DO THE SAME TO THEM.. THEY ARE ALL YALE, HARVERD PEOPLE, PLAY GOLF AT THE SAME COUNTRY CLUB, HAVE DINNER TOGETHER, MARTINIS AT THE SAME BAR AND SLEEP WITH EACH OTHERS WIVES. NOTHING WILL CHANGE WITH US OR WHERE THEY GO. HOPE WE GET THE MONEY THAT IS OWED US.........

From seymour, 11/10/2007  1:52 AM

StafoidX- I couldn't agree with you more. This has been, and still is, a shoddily run company with incompetent upper management. There are still some good people in the stores and warehouses. Corporate is obviously staffed by people with IQ's under 50. They have no concept of how to run a company. Any investor considering putting any money into this venture ought to put the bong away and get a reality check. Levitz is done. They will hang in for a few weeks, probably till the first of the year. Whatever cash is left should run out pretty soon. Then its the big liquidation sale. Levitz gets what it truly deserves. All the better for the furniture consumer as there will be one less corrupt furniture chain around that sells shoddy merchandise at inflated prices and treats the customer like dirt after the sale.

From FURNITURE VENDOR, 11/9/2007  2:48 PM

LEVITZ HAS A VERY NASTY MM NAMED J. HER ASSISTANT IS S. BOTH OF THESE FOLKS ARE VERY RUDE, AND NASTY TO THEIR VENDORS. THEY ARE NOT STRAIGHT SHOOTERS, AND SHOULD NOT BE HIRED ONCE LEVITZ GOES CHAPTER 11.

From StafoidX, 11/9/2007  1:05 PM

Cmom 3 bankruptcys in 10 yrs...are they trying to set a record. why do they possibly think that this time will be any better. is the economy any better, the housing market, the price of oil, not to mention the success of several other furniture chains such as Raymour where they go head to head in the northeast. do they actually think they can survive? and whatabout all the vendors who will be getting the shaft, some for the 2nd and 3rd time. would a manufacturer want to sell them in the future. only if all paid in advance perhaps. cant see this playing out too long. i expect a sell out to other retailers or some kind of GOB. Enough already. Surely, these money men have other places, with a better rate of return, to park their money. sorry for those that will lose their jobs but i got out 2 years ago. that mark scott is a piece of work and all of his flunkies. They had the nerve to make us interview for our jobs again when they closed seamans and changed to levitz. and told us one thing about commissions and 2 weeks later lowered it. last i heard was that all sales people had to pass 5 weekly furniture tests. this is where concerns lie. they hired anyone off the street with a pulse. levitz is the biggest joke in the industry. Oh, do you know they are actually going to be OPEN ON THANKSGIVING from 9-2pm?
yea, treat your employees well. After all Thanksgiving is a major furniture shopping day...lol. i dont care if the sale is 50% off. People have 1000 different and better things to do, like travel, visit with family and friends. What a disgrace. They should be ashamed of themselves.

From rhonda, 11/9/2007  10:37 AM

Thanks for your best wishes..... on behalf of us, at Levitz.

From ex-employee, 11/9/2007  9:52 AM

I used to work at Levitz and I lived through two of the three filings...it was not pretty. The worst part is that a lot of good people loose their job. I have a lot of friends over at Levitz still and I feel for them. The one thing that could have saved the company was getting a better management team. A "Grocery Guy" was probably not the best move. Let's keep our fingers crossed that the employees do not loose their job. They all work because they have to not because they want to. They all have families and bills.

From levitz Worker, 11/8/2007  11:05 PM

Prentice should of never kept the old people that ran the company down the first time...They kept all old upper management....bad move

From Levitz Old Timer New york, 11/8/2007  10:57 PM

Levitz is the worst ran company!

From NOR CAL ALL STAR, 11/8/2007  8:41 PM

I hope the 3rd times not a charm, this is getting old and sad, i mean how many times are people gonna bail us out, and im being honest ( at least where I work) that things have been goin really good latley, its just sad to see the company suffer so much cause for all the people who hurt the company there's alot of people who care, keep posting, only with fact though, I know there's alot of 'levitz haters' out there, but there's also alot of people like me who have invested years of blood sweat and tears that have good intentions and are willing to stick it out, whatever gods will so shall it be done.....

From GrĂ©gory, 11/7/2007  1:25 AM

Yes ! That's why www.levitz.com is done. Redirection to www.furniture.com (even if its a levitz brand)... Sounds bad !
I hope it will survive !! Will someone inject mmoney ?

From old timer, 11/7/2007  1:19 AM

Yes here we go again...No one to blame except the idiots in New York. There is a few furniture people there but most of them no nothing about the industry, or buying. Take a look at the floor room selection. Customer comes in looking for a new sofa. You ask What color of micro fiber do you want beige, brown or light green? Oh you are in luck, just got a red one in today. They don't know sh__ about selection. same thing in bedroom,dining room. But wow!!!look at our homemects we have vibrators,massage chairs fountains and etc. Take a look at our CEO "gocery guy".Only thing he knows about a sofa is being a couch poatoe and eating chips that he used to preote.Westcoast stores we hired guy from Bed Bath and Beyound. Made him district manager. Knows nothing about furniture. If you asked him how many ties on a eight
waid hand tied spring he would tell you five. You can tell from where he gets his bonus from, because all he cares is how many E-mails, taps,and mlms the stores get.
Brings in all his clerks from Bed Bath and beyond and makes them managers. Great people, but know nothing about selling or furniture. He makes every day a HOSTILE WORKING CONDITION. Wonder why sales are down???? In the Seattle and Oregon Markets, Mor, J.R. and Wickes are just eating us up..The are down a little in sales but laughing all the way to the bank. Hey people, we are not going into chapter 11, Come the first of the week or the end of this week it is chater 7. CHAINS ACROSS THE DOOR. Hope you all the best.....Call Mark Scott and tell him Thanks for tying...He really did !!!!! ROUGE...

From john garg, 11/6/2007  11:22 PM

Well I dont & never believes in rumors and guys be positive Levitz will stay and will be staying in business for another 95years just dont loose your focus !!!

From west coast sales, 11/6/2007  8:53 PM

Todays front page article in Furniture Today sheds more light on Levitz's current situation

From rick, 11/6/2007  4:19 PM

MARTIN PLEASE E-MAIL BANK DOC. THANKS

From mobiledon1, 11/6/2007  2:27 PM

sorry the email is geniou5@optonline,net please email latest copy of bankruptcy papers in regards to levitz furniture.

From mobiledon1, 11/6/2007  2:15 PM

would you please be so kind to send me a copy of the latest bankruptcy filing?

thank you

From furnitureman, 11/5/2007  10:11 PM

Ive got out of Levitz nearly 2 years ago and from my friends who still work there and what they have told me it does seem they are down that path again. Just heard on sunday that the salespeople were told to stop selling guardsman furniture protection and all guardsman point of sale handouts have been taken off the floor. This is the exact same thing that happened in 2005. Besides the vendors such as Sealy, Legacy, Berkline, Klaussner, and others shutting them down, it does look like they will be gone by years end. In 2005 we were told to keep taking orders, even though we knew there was little or no chance of customers receiving furniture. The company needed the money so badly. Now imagine the unsuspecting
consumer who wants to furnish their home for the upcoming holidays. They are going to be some very angry people. Also look for Raymour & Flanigan to start snapping up some key Levitz locations too.I'll post more when i hear anything.

From west coast sales, 11/5/2007  9:40 PM

Eric, please elaborate. thx

From rhonda, 11/5/2007  7:50 PM

please confirm any true facts,i work for levitz.it is important that i know the situation at hand.i dread facing my family and my co-workers.     

From eric, 11/5/2007  7:49 PM

According to my contacts at Great American this is going GOB Dec/Jan.

From danni, 11/4/2007  11:43 PM

Martin, please send document # of the latest Levitz Bankruptcy filing. AllDanni23@aol.com Thanks

From Martin, 11/4/2007  10:14 PM

Levitz is facing chapter 11 again.
More than 250 million debt, with 2500 numbers of claims.
I have the do(deleted)ent of chapter 11 registered to the bankruptcy court last 12th october.If someone wants it, leave your mail.