Over 154 Years of Service to the Furniture Industry
 Furniture World Logo

Dix0n PowderMaker furniture

I recently purchased a Dixon Powdermaker Buffet and China closet from Avonlee Antique Mall in Jacksonville. The pieces are unbelievably gorgeous and I would like to find other furniture from this manufacturer. Anyone wishing to sell Dixon Powdermaker furniture please contact me. The older the better and only pristine condition please! My e-mail address is rajott@comcast.net.

Posted By robert rajotte, 11/13/2006

Login to Reply to this Topic

Replies

From vector108, 2/27/2012  11:56 AM

That e-mail address (rajott@comcast.net) bounced (though 6 years have passed).  I have a couple of pieces that I'd like to sell, which are in excellent condition and which may be of interest to you (photos available).  Please let me know if you might be interested.

From dkny0526, 9/29/2011  7:08 PM

[#53405]: I lost my original e-mail to you and don't know if it went through or not.  Anyway, $295 for anything from Dixon Powdermaker is a steal!  They made exquisite furniture that was all 100% wood.  It is probbaly one of the finest furniture manufacturers of its day.  I purchased my bedroom pieces from them and they were so well made and heavy that you could hardly lift it.  My Louis XV reproduction of a double dresser was custom made, selected wood and finish, the amount of distressing I wanted on each piece and that was 45 y ears ago.  The piece is still in pristine condition and the wood has aged beautifully.  I paid $1,000 for it back in 1967 when people were buying Thomasville entire bedroom ensembles.....with a mattress -------- for $1,000 back then.  The dresser at auction is probably worth anywhere from $7500 - $10,000.  The 2 nightstands are probably worth around $2000 - $2500 a piece.  If you ever decide to sell this china cabinet, sell it at auction where you'll get the most money for it.  Otherwise, enjoy your incredible find!

From Dilipgupta24, 8/31/2011  4:29 PM

Hello,
We are the most resourceful interior design firm in Northeast Florida, with affiliate DOTI locations across America. Our goal is to create extraordinary home interiors that combine your personal vision and budget with functional choices that will bring you a home that you love for years to come! For mor info......[url=http://www.doti.com/]www.doti.com[/url]

[url=http://www.doti.com/]furniture jacksonville fl[/url]

From robert rajotte, 8/3/2011  9:43 PM

I have Dixon Powdermaker Orleans collection: the following: 2 6 drawer dressers, vanity (fits between dressers), 2 nite stands, king headboard, dining table with leafs, 6 chairs. Southern California. Was purchased by my parents about 1957 and was used in our family until now. please email immediately if anyone knows what appropriate price is and also if anyone is interested in buying all the pieces.

From dawn, 4/17/2011  11:21 AM

I have a beautiful 6 drawer bedroom chest from the Orleans Collection by Dixon Powdermaker that I an willing to sell. It is in extremely good condition, with an almost perfect finish and all the original hardware. I have photos, please contact me at drakeandcompany@gmail.com

From Trish, 11/26/2010  7:43 PM

I recently acquired a 1961 Dixon Powdermaker bedroom set in (may have been considered a childrens set??) in French Provincial design. It included a 9 dove-tailed dresser with beautiful matching mirror and nightstand. All in very good condition. I am looking to sell this set. If anyone has any info on this or possible value/interested in purchasin please let me know.

From Greg, 8/8/2010  9:47 AM

Thanks, Betty for the info on you buying the dinning room set in the early 60's ,I have had mine for a year now that I got at a estate sale on San Hose , I love the set such high end furniture and its built to last and to know it was built here in Jax, the building in riverside where it was built in some area's the steel tracks are still in the floors where the furniture was rolled on platforms in the building and finishing prosess,I once worked in those building at a company doing there finishing, I remember a client had brought in a pair of dixon powdermaker bed side table's to be refinished they had the origial steel blue antiqued finish that was beautiful and we had to paint them a almond color for the client, Thanks Greg in San Jose

From saly seitz, 3/31/2010  12:59 PM

I have a double bedroom chest in Dixon Powdermaker,with doors that are covered behind the metal crosswork,in outstanding condition. I am interested in selling it,you may contact me at info@invitationimagination.com

From Jill P., 3/14/2010  11:58 AM

Christine, or anyone wanting to sell Orleans collection pieces, please email me photos at Jillrg8@aol.com. Very interested! Thanks!

From Lee, 3/13/2010  6:30 AM

I recently purchased a small armchair in a thrift shop that turned out to be made by Dixon Powdermaker. The chair has a padded, keystone shaped back, padded armrests and a steel sprung upholstered seat cushion. I am curious......is this one of a pair of parlor chairs or is it part of a dining room set? Any info would be appreciated.

From Richard, 3/10/2010  5:48 PM

I am inquiring to see if anyone has sold any bedroom furniture in the Orleans collection of Dixon Powdermaker? I have some pieces that I am trying to find a value for. Some desks, dressers, chairs and headboard.Thanks!

From Jill P., 2/28/2010  10:33 PM

Yes, Christine R. I would like to see photos please! We have some chairs missing the table.

From christine R, 2/11/2010  9:05 PM

I have a dinning table and hutch/buffet for sale. I am in AZ let me know if you want pictures or more information thank you

From Bill Solomon, 11/24/2009  2:12 PM

We would like to sell Dixon-Powdermaker bedroom set, handed down from my grandmother. This is from "The Orleans Collection", the highest end of their design, with caning on the headboard. It is from the 1950’s, clean and in good condition, and hand crafted from southern magnolia wood. Dresser and 2 nightstands have cedar drawers. Set includes king headboard, triple dresser, 2 nightstands and a 6’ x 4’ mirror. Kindly reply to billsolo1@gmail.com.

From Kay Haslam, 10/24/2009  11:11 AM

Want to buy Dixon Powdermaker furniture in "The Orleans Collection" in a medium wood tone. Need full/queen headboard, highboy dresser, armoire.
Will pay fair price and pickup (out of state) for pieces in good condition. We inherited a partial set for my husband's mother and we are trying to complete it. kayyateshaslam@yahoo.com

From Betty, 8/15/2009  12:55 PM

Greg, I think I have a duplicate dining room suite. We bought it in the early 60s at an estate sale in the Ortega area of Jacksonville, FL, where the maker was located.

I think we paid $400, which was a fortune to us at the time. But we got 8 chairs. My husband went personally to the factory and learned that the chairs were valued at around $100 each, so we knew we got a good buy.

Now the foam rubber in the seats has decayed and I am looking for someone to replace it and put the springs back like they were.

From chandra, 7/15/2009  2:24 AM

I have two dixon powdermaker armoires very good condition.. want to sell.. dont know the value..

From Marc, 7/2/2009  10:02 PM

I have a nine drawer Dixon Powdermaker Model #5282 Dresser with matching two drawer night tables. All in brand new condition.

From Jan Carter, 6/21/2009  9:20 PM

I have a Dixon Powdermaker Orleans collection bedroom suite which includes the full size bed (head and foot board), the night stand and double dresser with mirror. I would like to find the value of this set but do not know where to go. Can anyone help me?

From Greg, 6/14/2009  9:21 AM

Hello,As to my info the Dixon Powdermaker Furniture Co. was located on Roselle st off of I-10 along the railroad tracks the buildings are still there its a industerial complex now.Dixon Powdermaker in its prime the furniture was built and expertly finished here in Jax, and was shipped and they had showrooms in New York and Miami. I workmanship on the furniture is just great I did not see much of it for a while this past Sat there was a estate sale on San Jose and I got a dinning room table 6 chairs, china and a server upstairs there was two bedroom sets for sale but I have no more room in my House unless I se up a room on my roof .Thanks Greg

From ROSE COHEN, 5/11/2009  10:09 AM

Hi
I have a complete Dixon Powdermaker bedroom set/dresser,highboy, 2 nitetables,headboard(king size)
Would be interested in selling some of the pieces, as
I am downsizing. I am not sure of the name of the
set, but it is oriental mixed style. The pieces are
inlaid with burl. Cam supply pics if interested.
Rose Cohen
Wauseon,Ohio43567
Rosebud33@roadrunner.com

From Susan Schube, 5/10/2009  7:50 AM

Does anyone have a Dixon Powdermaker 48" wide console table available?

From jan jordan, 4/7/2009  3:57 PM

I have an old dixon powder maker breakfront. It's from
the 60's I believe. I will have a picture shortly if your interested. It has shelves, 3 drawers, 2 small 1 larger and the bottom has speakers for a stereo. I think it can probably be removed. It is a large piece and it's located in Ft Lauderdale Florida. Email me if your interested.

From PATTY, 3/6/2009  3:19 PM

FOR ALL OF YOU LOOKING FOR ADDITONAL PIECES FROM D-P, BE ADVISED THAT THE COMPANY WENT OUT OF BUSINESS. I ONLY KNOW THIS AS ONE OF OUR CABINET WORKERS USED TO WORK FOR THE COMPANY BACK IN THE 60'S. SORRY!

From Linda D, 2/27/2009  9:23 PM

I own a china cabinet stamped Dixon Orleans collection on the inside of the drawer. It is made in 2 pieces. The bottom has 3 drawers and 2 cabinets.The legs are french. It stands about 24" hight. The top, which is recessed, has 3 glass doors, 2 on each side and a stationary door in the center. The doors are glass with curved panels at the top of each door. It has 3 shelves.I will consider selling it, however I have no idea of the value. I can be contacted at lindon2007@yahoo.com. Please leave contact number if interested.

From Cindy Reames, 2/16/2009  1:46 AM

We bought a large 5 drawer dresser and mirror called the Orleans Collection by Dixon-Powdermaker. Now I am looking for the remaining pieces of the set: one headboard,two nightstands, a desk or vanity, a highboy or armoire. Looking for pieces in good condition. I live in the Dallas area. Please email careames@aol.com. Thank you!

From gary, 1/15/2009  9:29 AM

Are you still looking for pieces for this set? My mother recently passed away and has the dresser, mirror, 2 nightstands, and a highboy. It was her first and only bedroom set and I believe it was purchased in 1957.

From bill culver, 7/10/2007  6:57 PM

I have a set of 6 chairs. would like to know there value.

From Kay Haslam, 5/28/2007  9:31 AM

We inherited a large dresser and mirror from my in-law's estate called the Orleans Collection by Dixon Powdermaker. The dresser is gorgeous and incredibly well made. Now I am looking for the remaining pieces of the set: two nightstands, a desk or vanity, a highboy or armoire and a lingerie chest, if possible. Willing to pay a good price for pieces in good condition. Please email kayyateshaslam@yahoo.com

From Raymond, 4/20/2007  2:30 AM

the missing word in the penultimate sentence is a m a t e u r.

From Ray, 4/20/2007  2:26 AM

Many of the questions asked here were answered in the FW message board started 6/18/2004 entitled "What Happened to Dixon-Powdermaker Furniture?" Search "Message Boards"; this will lead you to that message board about Dixon-Powdermaker and its history. I recently acquired a Dixon-Powdermaker bedroom set "Toscana" in "Old French Walnut", at auction. Connoisseurs of cabinet making will appreciate the masterful skill involved. Drawers and doors involve difficult problems: the drawers must not only fit the drawer hole, but also not go in too far or not far enough, and not leave too much space around the side of the front face. Dual doors must come together and not leave a space between them. In much modern furniture, drawers often have a front face which is larger than the drawer opening, thus covering the opening and keeping the drawer from going in too far. With dual doors, usually one door is made to overlap a thin portion of the other door. In contrast, Dixon-Powdermaker simply makes the drawers precisely the right size and depth, and the doors are made so they come together with little space between. This requires wood which is dimensionally stable as well as exact carpentry. It would not be feasible in mass produced furniture. I am an am_____r refinisher and have not decided how to resell this set. (It needs some work.) I will be glad to send photos of the set when it is done if you send me your email at eleemosynary31415@yahoo.com.

From Shawna, 4/19/2007  1:10 PM

I have acquired a Dixon Powder Maker china buffet cabinet. I purchased it from Habitat of Humanity for 295.00, was this a good price. It is very heavy in excellent condition. It is brown wood on top and cream with some flowers painted on the buffet doors. The silver set holder still has the attached key for the door.

From ruth, 4/10/2007  11:12 PM

Do you have an address for the Avonlee Antique Mall in Jacksonville?

From Ruth, 4/10/2007  11:05 PM

My reply is more like a comment to all the postings regarding Dixon-Powdermaker furniture. I am very pleased to say that I own several Dixon-Powdermaker pieces of furniture: bedroom set and 2 china cabinets w/drawers. I bought them new 45 years ago and they are in perfect condition. I, too, would like to contact the manufacturer...I don't know if they have gone out of business. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

From Jack, 4/4/2007  1:46 PM

I recently purchased a stand from this maker.It says
The Orleans Collection on the back. Could you please send me any information. It is a dark wood with a dark metal.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

From anderson, 3/20/2007  9:02 PM

i need to buy a night table from the new orleans collection by dixon powdermaker where can i buy it??

From Daniel, 3/20/2007  6:47 AM

My mother and I were about to put a Dixon-Powdermaker dining room table with one sectional for expansion out on the curb yesterday. When I turned it over, there was a stamp of the manufacturer on the bottom. It said, "Dixon-Powdermaker Furn. Co. 2670 Rosselle St. Jacksonville, Fla." It was given to us by my father's aunt in 1966 and it has so many memories for our family. It's not in 'pristine' condition, but it is still like part of our family. I didn't realize how attached to it I had gotten. My mother and I actually got a little emotional while we stood outside contemplating parting with it. It is so well-made and it is 'solid wood'. Then we pondered whether to wait or research the company. I decided to research it and I am pleased that I did. The internet is a wonderful thing and I'm glad that others have posted to this site. If you know of any way to find out the value of D-P pieces, please let me know at dwood_7@hotmail.com.

From Kadie, 1/17/2007  5:32 PM

I have Dixon-Powdermaker bedroom set from my grandmother. My father said he thinks she purchased it in the early 60's. If you have any information regarding the company or the furniture it would be greatly appreciated. I might consider selling the pieces. Thanks!

From Kadie, 1/17/2007  5:30 PM

I have Dixon-Powdermaker bedroom set from my grandmother. My father said he thinks she purchased it in the early 60's. If you have any information regarding the company or the furniture it would be greatly appreciated. I might consider selling the pieces. Thanks!

From Katie, 1/13/2007  9:36 AM

I bought a beautiful bedroom set this summer by Dixon Powdermaker, everyone says its solid maple. I love it as you love yours. I'm not interested in selling, but I'm wondering if you happen to have any information on this company. I'm trying to figure out when it was made. Any information would help. Thanks.