Sustainable Furnishings Council Now Hiring New Executive Director for 2022
Furniture World News Desk on
In a newsletter sent out to subscribers, the SFC announced that current Executive Director, Susan Inglis, will soon move into the role of Educator in Chief and Resident Expert. The Board is currently seeking an Executive Director to start at the beginning of the new year.
About our Organization:
Founded in 2006, the Sustainable Furnishings Council (SFC) is a 501c6 non-profit coalition of manufacturers, retailers and designers dedicated to raising awareness and expanding the adoption of environmentally sustainable practices across the home furnishings industry. SFC’s sister organization, the Sustainable Furnishings Education Fund (SFEF) – with the same governance and management -- is a 501c3 dedicated to educating the furniture field and consumers on all aspects of sustainability.
Now celebrating our 15th anniversary, SFC – and the furniture and furnishings fields at large – is at a juncture of urgency AND opportunity. This moment has revealed our organizations’ sustainability missions to be more critical than ever. A rare silver lining has been explosive growth in awareness of the importance of healthy home environments and materials/processes that minimize impact on climate.
At the same time, we believe there are many promising developments that SFC and SFEF are uniquely positioned to expand upon. These include growing awareness and commitment to: employing principles of a circular economy; use of wood from certified, recycled and reclaimed sources; and understanding the health impacts of toxic materials and avoiding harmful chemicals. Furniture companies are now increasingly publishing sustainability reports, and demand for SFC and SFEF programs has expanded 86% since the onset of COVID and intensification of climate-related events.
The furniture and furnishings industries look to SFC and SFEF for solutions, and we take our role very seriously. We are a trusted source for independent information, education and advocacy. We are excited about our future, committed to growth and creative thinking to meet this urgent moment.
About the Role:
Building on the strong foundation and field authority developed over our first fifteen years, our new Executive Director will lead SFC and SFEF into the next era. We are seeking candidates with vision and leadership skills to carry our ambitious mission to a new level, a leader both inspired by industry transformation and effective in inspiring others in support of this mission. We are poised to expand our financial resources, membership, programming, and partnerships. Our current operating budget is $230,000, with 3.5 staff and an engaged 14-member board comprised of leaders in industry and design.
Areas of Leadership:
- oversee planning - in close collaboration with Board and other constituencies – to bring further focus and prioritization to SFC’s and SFEF’s strategic plans
- update and solidify infrastructure, including technology, staffing and other core resources
- develop and implement expanded fundraising strategies for membership-related, foundation, corporate, individual, and earned-income sources of revenue
- cultivate and solicit funding prospects, arranging for preparation of research and briefing materials for visits, Board engagement, and follow-up
- implement and expand SFC and SFEF programming, including membership services, virtual and in-person education, on-line and social media resources, and consumer outreach
- shepherd core initiatives -- such as GREENleaders, "What's it made of?" and the Wood Furniture Scorecard – while creatively exploring new revenue-generating educational projects
- ensure integrity in delivery and maintenance/expansion of accreditations
- add an initiative to guide the furniture/furnishings fields in entering the circular economy
Ambassador and Advocate
- represent SFC within the home furnishings industry and at large, including to media, environmental organizations, manufacturer/retailer/designer groups, and trade shows
- shepherd and manage partnerships, seeking and negotiating support for programming
Team and Operations
- manage staff and consultants, collaborating and making day-to-day and longer-term decisions
- develop budgets, projections, and other financial planning/accountability processes
- manage delivery of full benefits to all member companies, such that membership confers value
Strong candidates are likely to bring seven or more years experience in one of the following or a related field: sustainability, especially as relates to furnishings and furniture; home furnishings and interiors market; industry and economic transformation; professional development and peer learning; and/or non-profit management and philanthropic development. Ideal candidates will likely demonstrate a strong entrepreneurial approach and experience in growing an organization/company, along with:
- Passion for SFC's and SFEF's missions
- Command of issues and the organizational 'eco-system' related to furniture, furnishings, and sustainability
- External orientation, with a love of networking and building partnerships and relationships
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, set priorities and meet deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Flexible and responsive
- Excellent organizational ability, with attention to the big picture and detail/ accuracy
Location: Flexible, with readiness to travel nationally, including to our office in High Point, NC.
Accountability: The Executive Director reports to the SFC/SFEF board.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience and scope of the organization.
How to Apply
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Sustainable Furnishings Council (and the Sustainable Furnishings Education Fund) is a proud equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against or harass any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, creed, religion, gender, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual preference, or status with regard to public assistance.
About the Sustainable Furnishings Council: The Sustainable Furnishings Council is dedicated to promoting healthy environments inside and out. SFC provides the most comprehensive information on environmental, safety, and health issues in the home furnishings industry and champions initiatives that improve products and processes. The SFC and its Members work to address sustainability and social issues, and offer clear information to consumers, the media, and other partners. Find us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest.