Over 154 Years of Service to the Furniture Industry
 Furniture World Logo

Dining Set made by "Unique Furniture Makers of Winst0n-Salem

We have recently acquired a lovely used dining room set that has the look of Thomasville, but a sticker on the bottom sayd Reg. No. PA 356 (N.C.) made by Unique Furniture Markers Winston-Salem N.C.

Has anyone ever heard of them? I am told they saw one advertised in the high-end Veranda Magazine, and that a new set would cost $9,000 to $13,000.

Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, ~Bill

Posted By Bill, 8/30/2004

Login to Reply to this Topic

Replies

From s.hussainmd@comcast.net, 2/16/2023  4:35 PM

I just saw the post I bought set 35 years ago for well over 10 K with 8 chairs, table and china cabinet. Reg no PA 356 on chairs still preserved along with 117-75 at the bottom right hand corner winston-salem N.C

From s.hussainmd@comcast.net, 2/16/2023  4:35 PM

I just saw the post I bought set 35 years ago for well over 10 K with 8 chairs, table and china cabinet. Reg no PA 356 on chairs still preserved along with 117-75 at the bottom right hand corner winston-salem N.C

From alibertucci, 9/24/2016  8:18 PM

From Howard Locker, 3/26/2015  9:55 PM

3/26/15

Hello Bill,

Were you able to determine the value of the Unique Sabine pine dining furniture?

My mother also has the same or similar Unique furniture.

From Jdemarie, 4/30/2014  7:20 PM

We also have a Unique Furniture Makers Provincal style dining set- consisting of pedestal table, opening to 8-9', 2 arm chairs, 4 side chairs,Black marble topped buffet, lighted china cabinet, in pecan, with fited pads., excellent condition, located in Buffalo, N.Y.area.
 Photos available.
Interested e-mail: jdemarie@aol.com

From a-j-w@live.com, 4/19/2014  10:59 AM

I have a dining room set large in laid table with leaves, 2 armed chairs, 4 side chairs, a rolling serving cart and a large hutch.  Cost about $15 when purchased in the late 70's or early 80's.  Was doing a search to see if company still in business.  Need to have chairs reupholstered, and was hoping to have original manufacturer to do it.
AJ

From Rabidawise, 4/8/2014  2:09 PM

Can you send me pics of the bedroom suite as well?  briand@shelbyinc.com
Thank you!

From Carold, 4/8/2014  8:27 AM

->Anag - you can email pics of the bedroom set to grincha5@aol.com. Thanks. Where are you located?

From Anag, 4/7/2014  7:12 PM

Yes carol I can send you pictures, will need to figure out how I can do that on here

From Carold, 4/6/2014  8:46 PM

Anag -> I would be interested in the bedroom. Any way you could post pictures?

From Alphonse, 4/6/2014  8:39 PM

I have a mint condition dining room set manufactured by Unique that was purchased in 1973. It has 6 chairs and a marble topped hutch that must way 250 lbs. I bought a home from an estate and this set was left behind. The model number is H929909T. If anyone knows anyone interested in it please advise.
thank you. Al

From Rabidawise, 3/22/2014  11:57 AM

I have a solid pecan queen bedroom suite made by Unique.  It's the light colored one that has the two armoires connected by a mirror and lighted bridge.  Do any of you know if there was a matching dresser and chest to this set, or something that looks similar?

From Anag, 3/16/2014  3:03 PM

Back in 1987 I purchased both a dinning room set as all as a bedroom set made by Unique, I am I retested in selling both.  Made several search but could not locate the company.

From disband, 3/11/2014  12:03 PM

I have an Oval Dining Room Table by Unique Furniture makers for sale in Ohio

http://cleveland.ebayclassifieds.com/tables/solon/gorgeous-oval-dining-room-table/?ad=32191208

From Carole, 3/7/2014  1:29 PM

Hi

I too bought a dining room set, The Grand Domaine, made by Unique in 1986, new, for $14,000.00 and was told that it is an exact replica of a Louis XVI, 18th century of Greek & Roman classical form.
About 10 years later I received a call from the seller telling me that a tornado had hit the factory destroying all of the molds and that they had a buyer that wanted to by my set for $30,000.00 right then but I loved my set and said no.
I have been trying to find information regarding the company every since because I would like to buy 2 more chairs for my set of 8 and can't seem to find out anything.
I have the book that came with my set but it only features all of the pieces in the Grand Domaine period.
These pieces are made of Maple solids and specislly selected Ash burls and cathedral-cut Primavera forming  very unique & beautiful pieces of furniture.

From Carole, 3/7/2014  1:25 PM

Hi

I too bought a dining room set, The Grand Domaine, made by Unique in 1986, new, for $14,000.00 and was told that it is an exact replica of a Louis XVI, 18th century of Greek & Roman classical form.
About 10 years later I received a call from the seller telling me that a tornado had hit the factory destroying all of the molds and that they had a buyer that wanted to by my set for $30,000.00 right then but I loved my set and said no.
I have been trying to find information regarding the company every since because I would like to buy 2 more chairs for my set of 8 and can't seem to find out anything.
I have the book that came with my set but it only features all of the pieces in the Grand Domaine period.
These pieces are made of Maple solids and specislly selected Ash burls and cathedral-cut Primavera forming  very unique & beautiful pieces of furniture.

From coopcleaner, 11/21/2013  11:58 PM

Carold - I have a solid cherry hutch/buffet in old Salem finish made by unique furniture makers of Winston Salem that I am looking to sell. This piece is in excellent condition! Pictures and piece numbers upon request.

From Carold, 11/2/2013  10:35 PM

>Alexis - I have a bedroom set that I bought in 1978.  I would be interested in buying more pieces.  Can I get pictures of your set?  Does anyone know where I can find more of this furniture?

From Farmington, 9/29/2013  8:48 PM

I have a bedroom set by Unique Furniture also.  When I purchased it in 1978, I bought only 1 night stand.  Now, I am looking to by its mate.  It is pecan wood and has long, rectangular brass handles with wood inserts.  Do any of you have this piece for sale?

From Alexis4263, 6/13/2013  4:43 PM

I have a complete bedroom set- armoire, headboard, 2 night stands, 9-drawer dresser& mirror.  It is by Unique of Winston- Salem, nc. I even have the booklet that tells about each piece of furniture. I would like to sell it it not sure what it is worth. Can anyone help?
thanks,
alexis

From rachel, 1/26/2013  9:47 PM

looking for price of unique furniture makers oblong cocktail table no. 4418

From slo sharron, 9/28/2011  4:14 PM

[#43487]:

I bought a pecan dining r. set with beuatiful beveled glass hutch this year at a auction. One of the  light eebulbs has burned out and we are trying to remove it to replace. Cannot get the bulb to budge, none of the bulbs will come out.Can you help me. No one can seem to give any help in this matter. Very frusterated

From Bill, 8/12/2011  12:14 AM

Hi-
My family owned the Unique Furniture Company until WW2.
We were/ are the Spachs of Spach Wagon Works.
Great to see that people still like the products.

From Bill, 8/6/2011  6:53 PM

My husband and I just purchased a desk at a local flea market in excellent condition and we are trying to do some research on it. 54" x 30" x 30.5" with 5 drawers (1 center, 2 on each side), spindle legs, curved sides. The mark burned in the center drawer is Unique Furniture Makers. There is a stamp on the bottom of the desk marked XO. 6192 DESK SIENNA.

Does anyone know the type of wood, value, time frame manufactured, etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

p_am_lyons@yahoo.com

From Bill, 7/7/2011  7:44 PM

I have been searching for the value of a very unique piece by Unique Furniture Makers - the 'Oblong Cocktail Table' stamped with the number 4418, made from pine. It has two blue velvet-lined storage boxes with lids on either side and a little shelf underneath. Even includes an original little info booklet about the company, dated 1954! Any information on its value would be greatly appreciated!
tradingco@rockisland.com

From Bill, 7/3/2011  4:44 PM

Hello, I was so excited to see these posts ! :) I have been trying to identify and place a value on my Mother's bedroom suite for quite some time now with no luck. So imagine my surprise when I saw the exact same markings for all my pieces mentioned in someone else's post above ! My headboard is No. 826 4/6 Bookcase, the Highboy (?) is marked No 805 Chest Pecan, and the Double Dresser and Mirror are marked: No 814 Double Dresser Pecan and No 814 Mirror Double Dresser Pecan. However, the above post did not mention an age or value beyond the great deal of $ 200.00 she paid for it. Can anyone help me with this ? If anyone would like to mail me the address is ladyverne@att.net also if you have info. or are interested in buying it, my phone is 270-836-0641 and just leave a msg if you don't get me, I'll call you back ASAP.

Thanks,

Marti

From Karen, 6/18/2011  8:55 PM

I have a unique furniture marble top triple dresser with wing mirror and matching armoire that my husband and I purchased in 1974 in Detroit Mich.. I am interested in selling it. I think it is pecan wood. Does anyone know what it is worth?

From Marcus, 5/30/2011  12:13 PM

I have for sale a solid cherry hutch/buffet No 1123 and a solid cherry 8 leg drop leaf table with two leaves both are gorgeous pieces made by The Unique Furniture Company they are a matching set I do not have any chairs for the table. Both pieces were well maintained and look almost new simply beautiful pieces. I have pictures that I could share if interested please contact me at marcusstout1976@aol.com. I am asking $650.00 for the pair.

From JR, 5/21/2011  4:45 PM

My Mom just passed and I've inherited her incredible Lillian Russell, 5pc bedroom set made by Unique Furniture Makers of Winston-Salem. Specifically I have pecan and dark burled walnut bedroom set: triple dresser with lighted beveled mirrors, beautiful armoir, two nightstands an queen sized headboard. The the craftsmanship is amazing and my mother took excellent care of it - to the point where it in no way looks used. The "Unique Furniture Co" logo stamped inside the drawer on the left side of one nightstand. It's simply too large for my living space.
Would anyone be interested in purchasing?

From Joe, 5/20/2011  10:57 PM

Hello, me and my wife recently purchased a dining room set from someone downsizing their place. It is a unique furniture set. It is a pedestal style, very solid with 6 chairs. I believe the table is stamped 9771. Beautiful lighted china cabinet with an arch design at top. Anyone know anything about this set? Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

From fran, 5/18/2011  6:37 PM

for sale
Unique dining room glasstop table, wood under, 6 side chairs 2 arm chairs, 3 piece lighted china cabinet crendenza with mirrored top, silver draw in top draw beautiful condition used maybe 6 times always covered chairs champagne velore seats with cain chair backs, light to med wood color unique furniture makers label on bottom of chairs 64 inch table with 2 additional leaves total 104in number on bottom is 117-75
philly area   

From Ken, 5/17/2011  12:06 PM

For sale....

Unique dining room table and chairs.
Table is 104" in total length with 2 18" sleeves.

6 chairs 2 with arms.

Chicago area.

From Jim Graham, 4/23/2011  1:57 PM

I have a unique dining room set
china cabinet
dining table
4 side chairs
2 arm chairs blue seats cain backs
Pecan wood Sienna
purchases 1972

From Ernestine, 4/2/2011  6:50 PM

I have dining room, bedroom and living room furniture stamped Unique Furniture Maker from 1960, ash with oil and wax finish and Labeled 'Crossroads'. It was marketed as a cross between Danish Modern and Early American. Is this the same company?

From beverly haley, 4/1/2011  12:41 PM

I have a Unique Furniture knotty pine server and hutch that I inherited from my great aunt in the early 90's. I believe she purchsed the set including a table and 4 chairs in the 40's. Any idea of their value wouldbe greatly appreciated.

From James sheets, 3/20/2011  12:51 PM

Recently purchased a five drawer dresser. It is made by Unique Furniture Makers,Winston-Salem, North Carolina and it is solid maple and the model number is 7705. Can you give me a value so I know if I got a good deal. Thanks

From Dorothy, 3/9/2011  7:30 PM

I have a Balero bedroom set made by Unique. I am looking for some draw handles. Can anyone tell me where I can get them? dlb@cox.net

From Roe Whalen, 3/5/2011  9:00 PM

I have a buffet hutch that converts to a studio type table. It is marked 210 Breakfastette Melletone Maple. Interested in finding its value? Thanks rthorn@csc.com

From Jason, 3/5/2011  2:23 AM

Like so many that have posted here I have inherited a couple of pieces of Unique Furniture Makers furniture. Specifically I have a dresser labeled in stencil on the back Sienna 6125 Armoire Chest, a triple dresser labeled Sienna 6104 Dresser, and a beveled glass mirror labeled Sienna 6104 Vertical Mirror. If anyone knows the approximate age(They owned since the sixties at least), the type of wood used(I'm guessing pecan because it is ridiculously heavy and lighter colored), and a rough guesstimate of value. Thanks a bunch. jbelden916@gmail.com

From DesignerKaren, 3/1/2011  11:45 AM

I have a SOLID MAPLE DINING ROOM Set by Unique Furniture Makers of Winston Salem, North Carolina N.C.
The Table is No. 7741 Oval with one leaf.
The TUB Chairs are No. 7700.
The Hutch is 129.
All stamped Solid Maple.
My guess is Mid-Century purchase by my mother in law.
They have kind of a hollywood regency leg - very pretty & unusual.
for pictures email Karen in the Northeast: ReflectiveDesignerKaren@comcast.net

From Maria, 2/21/2011  5:11 PM

Have a stamped 2417 unique bedroom set breaks my heart looking to pass it on anyone interested ???

From Becca, 1/23/2011  9:33 PM

I have a Unique Furniture Makers (Winston-Salem) dining room set that I would like to sell. The set was purchased by my greatgrandparents in the 1960's and is made of pecan wood. There is a table with two leaves, 6 chairs (one with arms), a china hutch, a sideboard (three large drawers and two cabinets), and a bar with a marble top. The table has some imperfections on the surface, having lived through my grandmother and her two brothers, my dad and his two brothers, my sister and I, and my three daughters. There are no deep gauges or anything that could not be repaired by restaining. The chairs have been reupholstered. We are asking $4500.00 for the set, it would have to be picked-up or have delivery arranged by the buyer. E-mail is joelandbecca@hotmail.com for pics or additional info.

From Rick, 1/18/2011  7:56 PM

Just purchased a solid cherry Trestle Table marked Heather Fin #4351 Unique. Anyone know the approx age of the table based? value or know what chairs might have gone with them? rick_baggenstoss@yahoo.com

From Brenda, 1/12/2011  4:28 PM

Looking for Unique Furniture Makers 2 side chairs #117-75 to complete a dining set.

From Leo, 12/29/2010  4:46 PM

Forgot to include my e-mail address: hotrodgss1@hotmail.com

From Leo, 12/29/2010  4:44 PM

Looking for a "Unique Furniture Makers" Dresser #5824 and the matching Landscape Mirror #5864

From Lynn Horn, 12/24/2010  12:11 PM

I am looking for a Cherry Wood Leaf for table number 1101. I can send pictures of the table if anyone is interested. Nothing like looking for a needle in the haystack, but thought I would give it a try.

Thank you, Lynn

From Rachel, 12/7/2010  7:33 PM

I recently purchased a dining room table and chairs made by Unique Furniture company. The # on the bottom of the chairs is #3340. I am missing one chair, not sure if it is the hostess chair or a side chair. Does anyone know when this piece may have been made?

Anyone know where I can purchase the chair I'm missing?

From Margit, 12/6/2010  2:02 PM

I have an Armoire #2425 by Unique for sale. If interested please e-mail me.
Thanks,
Margit

From Mira, 11/22/2010  8:29 PM

Maria, Do you have pictures of your bedroom set? What size bed frame? Might be interested...price?

From Maria, 11/20/2010  11:02 AM

I have a beautiful Unique pecan and dark burled walnut bedroom set: triple dresser, beautiful armoir, two nightstands. Need two brass replacement handles...any idea where I can get? Plan to sell before moving...any interest? In NJ, near Philadelphia.

From Bob, 11/17/2010  10:15 AM

I have a dining room table with 6 chairs made by Unique Furniture Makers, the set is in great condition. You can email me for pictures at triplineband2@aol.com. The chairs have the markings no. pa. 356 (NC). I'm asking $3,800 for obo for the set located in Macomb, MI.

From Bob, 11/17/2010  9:58 AM

I have a dining room table with 6 chairs made by Unique Furniture Makers, the set is in great condition. You can email me for pictures at triplineband2@aol.com. The chairs have the markings no. pa. 356 (NC). I'm asking $3,800 for obo for the set located in Macomb, MI.

From Dennis Fletcher, 11/15/2010  8:40 PM

I just recieved a very nice pine hutch from Unique Furniture Makers, Winston-Salem, NC.

It is marked No. 400 China Pine.

Can anyone tell me how old this piece is and what it may be worth?

From Sally Whited, 11/15/2010  6:37 PM

I have a table, 4 chairs, and a leaf made by Unique Furniture-Winston-Salem NC. The numbers on the chairs are NO 1485 CHAIR - VICTORY ECRU. I would love to know the value so I can sell it. I have too much furniture and I'm trying to down size. Anyone interested I do have pictures.

From Lynn Horn, 11/14/2010  8:38 AM

Yesterday I purchased a Unique table (1101), china (1163), and buffet (1112). It is a beautiful cherry wood, but the table is missing a leaf. I will be looking for one, but I need to know what the style is called? Can anyone help me with the style and is there a catalog reference that I can go to on the Internet for Unique Furniture? This set was originally from Connecticut and I found it in O.C. California. I am estimating it was purchased in the 1950’s. I do not know if the chairs are Unique or not. They are a low back chair, open design, with a cut out scroll cut-out and a heart cut-out under the scroll. They match the set quite well in color, but the chair has a French Provincial leg and the table has a turned leg, more Colonial. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

From Lorraine, 10/9/2010  4:16 PM

I have a Unique Furniture king bedroom set, includes king headboard, triple dresser with single mirror, armoire, 2 night stands all in perfect condition. I am moving and unfortunately I can't take it with me. Email at me at lorrainehart2190@gmail.com if you are interested and I will send pictures.

From Mark, 10/5/2010  12:50 PM

I have a china cabinet that was built byunique furniture makers winston salem n carolina. I see people writting about bedroom sets & dinning room sets. Anybody have or have seen a china cabinet from this company. I bought it in florida about 10 years ago. I am giving it to my neice and would like any info for her . I do have a keypunch caed that was stapled onto the back of the cabinet withlieelr info on it do to age any help would be great

From Tim, 9/19/2010  8:21 AM

I just purchased a Unique Furniture Co sienna dinette set that has punch cards.I'd like to know how old set is but can not figure out the punch marks on the card.Oval table,cane back chairs,hutch. Any help would be great.   Thanks.

From Gary, 8/29/2010  10:56 PM

I'm looking for a triple dresser w/ mirror from Unique Furniture Makers. I don't know the model or brand but the other pieces of the bedroom set are stamped with 3500 series. I can be contacted at gkmc13@optonline.net.

From Darwin, 8/12/2010  3:19 PM

I have a mahogany dining table (W/4chairs) and a matching hutch that I am planning to to sell. It is stamped Unique Furniture Makers. Its stamped 1804 on the hutch and table.. Would anyone know how much it is worth and be interested in buying them. Please call me at 260-557-8709 between 8AM and 6PM eastern time. My email is whitestar500@att.net Thanks

From Jim, 8/10/2010  5:28 PM

looking for a Unique Furniture m\Makers cherry server that would go with dinning table #1141 and hutch #1153 any idea if this is still avaliable in antique stores?

From Valerie, 8/1/2010  1:28 PM

I have table No.5271 with 2 leafs
2 arm chairs gold with cane back
4 regular chairs gold with cane back
purchased in 1979/80 brand new. always been covered.
If anyone interested $2,500.00 In Northwest Suburbs of Chicago.
Contact me at valerieihara@gmail.com

From Randy, 5/31/2010  10:23 AM

I have in my possession a triple dresser w/3 pc mirror made by Unique Furniture Markers Winston-Salem N.C.. The dresser and mirror are in almost perfect condition. What is it worth and were would I sell it? Contact me at andersonrandy@q.com

From Margaret, 5/11/2010  12:43 AM

Oops - if interested in the Rochambeau dining room set please email Margaret at margalyn@netscape.net.

From Margaret, 5/11/2010  12:41 AM

We have a complete dining room set of Rochambeau bought in 1982 for $4300. I have the literature on it as well as a copy of the invoice. The table is a twin pedestal # 2471 with 3 leaves in fruitwood. I have always used custom made pads on it. I have 2 figure eight arm chairs and 6 figure eight side chairs. The original fabric was recovered 10 years ago. The china cabinet #2443 is 78 x 20 by 86 with beveled glass. An amazing set, but we remodeled and the style no longer fits. The set is in perfect condition. Would love to sell the set as a whole to someone who would really appreciate this wonderful piece of furniture. Anyone interested? We're in the San Diego area.

From Elaine Lavinder, 4/28/2010  6:39 PM

I have a complete Unique solid cherry dining room set. Table with a leaf, 4 side cahirs and 2 arm chairs, a hutch, sideboard. I have no idea of the value but am unable to use in my dining room. Pieces have a stamped number on them. I would be very interested in selling. Thank you

From Michael, 4/17/2010  6:20 PM

I just purchased a 7 ft table by unique furniture makers. It has two leafs and the legs have a square gold plate on them. the table has the number 86 stamped on it. It also has a date stamp of 1978. Can anyone help me with this piece?

From R.M., 4/5/2010  10:17 AM

I am selling a solid mahogany sideboard with a hutch top made by Unique Furniture Makers #416. I also have the matching gateleg table (oval 43"wide x 80" long + 14" leaf) with four chairs. The information on the bottom of one of the chairs says it was bought at Polsky's of Akron. "Class H, Mfr 477 610, Style S Chair, Finish Mahogany, Article B34644". Each chair has flo__l needlepoint covers, gold with flo__l center. All pieces are in nearly mint condition and located in north Alabama. If interested, email trm1907@gmail.com.

From cyndi, 3/28/2010  5:47 PM

I have a dresser by Unique Furniture Makers Style No. 410 made of pine. If interested email me at ccabby105@aol.com

From Emily, 3/28/2010  5:21 PM

I have a complet bedroom set by Unique Furniture Makers "Bolero" set in excellent condition I am going to sell the full set King Size Head Broard, 2 night stands, triple dresser with 3 section hinged mirror and Armoire. If interested contact me be e-mail.

mamaduke911@aol.com

From Evelyn, 3/17/2010  9:43 AM

By the way the set above was made by Unique Furniture Makers.

From Evelyn, 3/17/2010  9:40 AM

I have a Rochambeau dining set. table with 2 pedestals and 3 leaves 120",4side chairs,2 arm chairs The chairs have the double back 8 design with a crown above it.
I was going to sell it but don't have any idea what it's worth? Does anybody have an educated guess?
contact jabbajaws6@comcast.net

From Bob Ade n, 3/15/2010  1:25 PM

Just posted note, but forgot to give contact info. E-mail address is virtyallbob@gmail.com, phone is 386-322-3883.

From Bob Aden, 3/15/2010  1:20 PM

I have a full dining room set which I believe is by Unique. Magnificent furniture. Purchased it about 30 years ago. Table with 3 leaves, 4 side chairs, 2 captain chairs, china cabinent and marble topped server. Moving, but can't take it with me. Have pictures to e-mail if you are interested.

Bob

From Judy, 3/7/2010  1:21 PM

I want to sell a Breakfastette by Unique Furniture Makers. It has 2 matching chairs for sitting at the pull up table surface. Chairs are stripped to maple, top hutch piece with glass doors & drawers and two door base have old paint. It's a neat art deco style set & would be great in small eating area. Contact judyatthechapel463@yahoo.com

From Lee, 3/6/2010  1:37 PM

Looking for Unique Furniture - dinning room - pecan - hutch, china cabinet, buffet.... to match a set I already have with a table #811 and cabinet #802/803. Contact LANapolitano@sgcsd.net

From Mike, 2/27/2010  1:53 PM

looking for 6 drawer pulls from Uniques ROCHAMBEAU collection... willing to pay top $ email...shukapuka@aol.com

From KMR, 1/16/2010  12:48 AM

I am looking for the matching chairs to the UFM of Winston Stalem Sienna Group #6111, they go with the trestle table #6171. My husband and some friends have broken all but three of the chairs (so sad...). Also, I am looking for a leaf for the table. I am will ing to purchase from anyone who has these items and they are in good condition.

From Randy, 1/15/2010  12:04 AM

I have in my possession a triple dresser w/3 pc mirror made by Unique Furniture Markers Winston-Salem N.C.. The dresser and mirror are in almost perfect condition. What is it worth and were would I sell it?

From Lisa Rawlings, 12/28/2009  7:17 PM

I have a Bolero II Bedroom set which includes the queen headboard, nightstand, armoire, and triple dresser with 3-section hinged mirror. Could Gregg the former Unique rep tell me the kind of wood as well as an current estimated value of this bedroom set. My husband and I purchased it from Haverty's about 1972 and he thinks it was about $1500-$1700 then. I appreciate all this good information about the company and product.   

From charles holyfield, 11/25/2009  7:58 PM

Does anyone know when unique furniture makers went out of business.

From Norma Bernstock, 11/23/2009  7:31 PM

I just purchased a dining room set by Unique Furniture Makers so was pleased to read so many good comments about the furniture. My set appears to have been made in the 1940's. It includes a table with a leaf, four chairs covered in dark maroon vinyl,a hutch and a sideboard. All the pieces have a deco design painted on the table top, the chairs and on the drawer handles in black, red and yellow. I can't make out the letters under the chairs, something that ends in Brown. If anyone has more information about the date of manufacture, I'd appreciate it..nbphoto@ptd.net.

From Ron Giusti, 10/15/2009  6:15 PM

I bought a table (with two extensions that slide under the table top) and two chairs at a yard sale for $25. They are solid maple, but were painted white. I totally disassembled the table, stripped it, and started to refinish it. On the under side of the table, there are stamps that say that the table is solid maple, has a Boone Trail Finish, and is a No 1052 table. I found a patent number (RE 19940) on one of the small metal pieces that makes up the extension mechanism. So I looked up the patent and found that it is from 1936 and applies to the whole table. The inventor was Charles L. Creech, Jr. from Winston Salem, NC. I was able to contact one of his relatives and was told that the table was most likely made by the Unique Furniture Co. late in the 1930s. Soon after that, they stopped making furniture to support the war effort. The table is in very good shape (at least it looks good now that I've got all the paint off it and have completed most of the sanding). Assuming that I do an OK job refinishing it and the two chairs, I am wondering what it might be worth. I do NOT plan to sell it, but just want to know how good a deal I got at the yard sale! Thanks in advance for any information anyone can provide.

From Veronica, 10/7/2009  8:55 PM

I have a full-queen size bedroom set made by Unique Furniture. Has a very mid-century modern look. Set includes 6 drawer Dresser with brushed brass handles, wood framed mirror, headboard and two nightstands. Each furniture piece has a label printed with Case#029545, Style#0297,job#843. Any ideas on where to find info on pricing?   Thanks verowink@gmail.com

From Tara, 8/18/2009  3:13 PM

I have a 9 piece Maple dining set with a date written underneath the table of 9-29-26. The table is a 66x40 No 5 and I believe that the set is from Period Manufacturing in New Albany, IND. Where should I go in regards to getting information on this set as well as an asking price to sell?

From Rob Schild, 8/15/2009  11:51 AM

I have a Red 'Dry Bar' made by Unique Furniture Makers. It is solid maple.

Can anyone tell me what I might be able to sell if for?

Best,

Rob

From JudyMae, 7/24/2009  4:03 PM

Sometime in 1989 or 1990 we purchased a bedroom set by Unique Furniture Makers called Chestnut Ridge collection from a flea market ... for a total of $2,200 including tax and delivery.   It was so heavy it took 4 large men to carry it inside ... and they had to dismantle the armoire to even carry it.    It's made of rare wormy chestnut ... and the set consists of a king headboard, 2 curve-front nightstands, triple dresser w/3 pc mirror and a 7 1/2 foot armoire. A paper attached inside the armoire, says "the style is fine, old rural ... with a dusty wax finish" which makes it look aged.   

If Greg is still around ... do you have any idea how many wormy chestnut sets were made?   

From Jean and Jerry, 7/20/2009  1:57 PM

We have a dining room table and 4 chairs (2 arm and 2 straight) made by Unique Furniture Makers. The stamp on the bottom says "Solid Cherry" and "No. 1101 X.OK"
Does anyone have any info on this or know what it may be worth? We know it is at least 50-60 years old.
Thanks for your time.

From Kathy K, 7/20/2009  12:42 AM

I have a complete Bolero II Bedroom Set purchased in 1971. Some of the hardware is broken on the triple dresser and the chest. Any idea where I can get replacements. Please reply to quillmaster46@aol.com

From Rochelle Mangino, 7/4/2009  9:28 AM

I have a mahogany dining table (W/4chairs) and a matching hutch that I am planning to to sell. It is stamped Unique Furniture Makers. Would anyone know how much it is worth and be interested in buying them. Please call me at 256-398-1300 between 8AM and 4PM central standard time. Thanks

From Gwen N., 6/22/2009  11:48 PM

I have a French style formal dinning room set consisting of one large curved hutch top, 3 glass shelves. Base is also curved with a base of 2 side doors, 3 center doors all with inside wood shelves and roll out drawers at the top. The table is 108" plus 2 - 20" leaves, double pedestal with connecting wood between pedestals with a curved shaped oval top the number on the underside is #1571 Six chairs with upholstered seats and backs, the seat is a rounded shape, te number is #105505. There is also a server side piece with 2 drop side leaves,marble inset in top of main section, 1 slide out drawer inside and one shelf. It a French style with Louis the 16th styles legs on the chairs. We purchased the set from a decorators wholesale distributor of fine furniture in 1971 for $4000.

Everyone is quite right, the furniture that is available today can't touch the craftsmanship of theses pieces. The table has rolling gears that pull apart very easily to insert the leaves, I have never seen this in any other table. We have an additional credenza of a different style in our living room and all are as perfect as the day they were purchased. When we purchased our dinning room set, we were told they only cut 100 pieces each year, when we placed out order we missed the original cut for the year and had to wait a full year before we finally received delivery of our long awaited formal dinning room set. We have never been sorry that we waited for the perfect set.

From Charlene, 4/28/2009  12:49 AM

I am conducting an estate sale where they have a Unique complete bedroom set with two armoires, twin headboards, also king headboard, dresser has marble top....also a Unique dining room set....buffet has marble top, gorgeous furniture. Please contact me if you are in the Chicago area and would like information on this furniture and when the sale will be held. cmacias621@aol.com

From Marilyn, 4/27/2009  3:37 PM

I have a Dining Room set made by Unique Furniture Manufacturers which I am interested in selling. I live in Northeastern PA. The set is from 1973 (style number 01360)and consists of 1 China closet #1543, 1 pedestal table #1571, 2 arm chairs #1560, and 4 side chairs #1560. The China Closet has an interior light and is a very unique shape. It has 4 glass doors on top and 5 doors on the bottom. The chairs were originally gold velour, but have been reupholstered with cane back and a very neutral beige seat. The set also includes 2 leaves and table pads. The set is in perfect condition with no damages. If anyone is interested in purchasing the set, please email me mlp223@hotmail.com     

From M.BENTLEY, 3/27/2009  5:18 PM

I BOUGHT A UNIQUE TRIPBLE MARBLE DRESSER & NIGHT STANDS
AND OTHER PIECES FROM BULL JACKSON CO. IN DALLAS. LONG STORY SHORT ....I HAD A BURGLARY......THEY TOOK THE BOTTOM LEFT DRAWER ....I HAD 9 DRAWERS....NOW I HAVE 8, DOES ANY
BODY KNOW WHERE I CAN BUY OR HAVE DRAWER MADE.....THANKS FOR ANY HELP.....FROM AUSTIN, TEXAS
MICKEY BENTLEY

From RON, 2/20/2009  12:59 PM

I just bought an open shelf,one drawer,2 door.and 3 shelf corner cabinet in solid oak with the "Unique Furniture Co" logo stamped inside the drawer on the left side. The drawer slide is wood and the only metal is the handles.It is mint shape and tight joints.It is 67 in. high and 35in.wide.Iam trying to find it's age and worth. The first owner has passed and was sold by the married daughter who is middle aged. I canbe reached at ----thomasro@woh.rr.com----P.S. How do I contact" GREG THE FACTORY REP" ?. RKT

From Judith McDaniel, 1/30/2009  6:02 PM

I just found out that the number 2417 is stamped on the backs of the night stands. We purchased the set from Barker Brothers in California.

From Judith McDaniel, 1/30/2009  5:52 PM

I have a bedroom set, Queen headboard with cane insets, 2 night stands that have a metel insert on the left side that identifiy the pieces and Unique, and an Armwair with Unique stamped in the top drawer. We have had it from new, I didn't realize it was over 25 years, and think it is Country French design in a dark oak. We are looking for the hardware for a couple of the drawers pulls whhich have broken. Does anyone know who Unique would have gotten their hardware from or where we can obtain replacements?

Thanks Judy

From Jean LeMont, 1/25/2009  2:07 AM

We have a hutch (6 foot wide) made by Unique. The top section has four beveled glass doors and glass on both ends) with very thick glass shelves. The bottom part has three large drawers down the middle and a smaller drawer and cupboard on each side. The number on the two pieces is 6643 although a paper tag that was also found with it says 66438000. It seems to be a numbered piece because a paper tag attached to it says 61 of 100. We are downsizing and are thinking of selling it, but it would be huge to ship. We live in northern Oregon. Any interest? If so, respond asap--we may try to sell it this next weekend. P. S. The drawer fronts have a grained wood running horizontally but the outer edge (raised border) is a different grain and lighter in color--and runs vertically on the top and bottom of the drawers' edges and horizontally on the sides. I wonder what kind of wood it might be--maybe pecan or cherry. Anyone know?     January 24, 2009

From Ann Melnyk, 1/20/2009  7:15 AM

I am helping a friend in Overland Park KS sell her Unique Furniture seven foot dining room set and 6 cain chairs with beautiful pad seats in a Peaan finish. Although this set is 30 years old - it is in excellent condition with NO scratches. It comes with a lighted buffet with 4 shelves - also a server that was custom made to go with the set. The table also comes with a table pad to keep it looking as beautiful as it is now. She is moving from house to apartment and cannot use it anymore.

Any interest out there?

From Susan, 1/3/2009  10:33 AM

I have a Unique bedroom set that I purchased in 1975 at Royal Furniture in Baltimore Maryland. The number on the nightstand is stamped 1527. The set is pecan wood. I have a queen headboard, triple dresser with winged mirror and an armoire. If anyone is interested I am posting it for sale on craigs list in the Annapolis and Washingtin DC area.

From Bob Handova, 12/13/2008  5:10 PM

I have just aquired a China Cabinet? It has Tags attached to the top and the bottom. This thing is in immaculent condition, the lady my wife purchased if from says she has had it her whole life. I am not so certain about that. But; she only gave $50.00 for it. The top says: NO. 6133 CHINA TOP, SIENNA and the bottom says: NO.6133 CHINA BASE, SIENNA.
Did she get a bargan? I have no idea what I am looking at or how old it is. Approx value would be nice.

Please contact me at bhandova@bigotires.com
Thank You for any help that you could give.

From Donna Woods, 12/5/2008  7:00 PM

I have a Unique Furniture Makers Pecan Bedroom suite, I believe my Mom bought it at a auction in the 80's and paid $200.00. What a great buy. I have the following pieces No. 814 Dresser Mirror, 814 Dresser, No. 805 Chest, 826 4/6 Bookcase Bed. I also have the desk that went with this set at my sisters. I am looking for the night stands that match this set. It would be great to complete this set, it really is pretty. You can email me at J24toes@yahoo.com. Thank You Donna

From Dennis, 11/21/2008  7:32 PM

I am self employed in furniture repair and I am trying to find out who made the lighting systems for the Unique display cabinets.
The unit lighting needs replacing as the transformers have burned out.
Any help would be appreciated.

From Evon, 11/18/2008  3:47 PM

My wife inherited a kitchen set, "Headliner" by Unique Furniture Co. Does anyone have a photo of this set in its original state? I would love to see a photo. There is leg braces for the tabl that are not attached. I'm trying to figure out how to attach them. Thank you in advance,

Evon

From Jan, 11/16/2008  2:19 PM

I bought our Unique bedroom set at Breuner's in Reno, NV, in 1978 for $4500. It consisted of a triple dresser with winged mirror, armoir, queen headboard, and two nightstands - all in cherry. I always regretted not getting a lingerie chest to match the set, and went back in the early nineties to find the company was no longer in business. So, the quest was on to find one close to the same style, quality and appearance. Finally I found one at Ethan Allen, but not in cherry. Last year we were unfortunate enough to have a nationally known company come to clean our carpets, and they gouged the dresser and armoir with their "wand". Luckily we found someone from the Thomasville dealer who repaired both pieces and also touched up other nicks on the rest of the set. Now everything looks like new.

Jan

From LRod, 11/9/2008  11:54 PM

Very interesting thread. Wife and I bought several Unique bedroom pieces from a long forgotten furniture store in Jacksonville, FL, in about 1971. They were from the Cortlandt Collection (thanks to whomever posted that--I'd have never remembered), and we have a 7' long dresser with triple mirror, a six drawer high dresser, a huge armoire, two nightstands, and a king size headboard.

The dresser has been a challenge in a couple of places we've lived--twice having to come in/go out through a window. Nothing is lightweight.

We've always been impressed with the look and feel of the furniture, although we're eventually going to have to do a little refinishing on the nightstand tops. They get a lot of (unintended) abuse.

Our one regret is that there was a piece, called a "gentleman's chest" if I recall, which was a tall, narrow, chest of about 7 or 8 drawers that I was interested in at the time. We were never in a position to afford it (this collection was not cheap), and frankly, until our current house, never with enough room for it. Sadly, it looks like we'll never be able to get it.

Thanks for the memories, everyone. No, the collection's not for sale. Just wanted to reminisce and perhaps memorialize the history of our bedroom suite.

woodbutcher.net/house to see glimpses of some of the pieces.

LRod

From David, 10/25/2008  9:37 AM

I purchased a 'Unique Furniture' piece about 10 years ago and the piece is marked 'Buffet 1800 Mahogony'. Inside there is a tag from the 'GFox' department store (was based out of Hartford CT) Does anyone know the approximate age of this piece and or its value as I am looking to sell

David from CT

From Leslie, 10/4/2008  9:40 PM

I have my mother's cherry tea cart that was part of a set made by Unique Furniture Makers. The original set was purchased at Glick's Furniture in Columbus, OH in the late 50s when she worked there. It is of tremendous quality. She sold the dining table, chairs and china cabinet about 25 years ago, thinking that I wouldn't be interested in a formal dining set. In fact, I would really like to find a some pieces to match the tea cart. I check Ebay and the web regularly, but so far haven't found it...

From Kaylee, 9/20/2008  9:56 AM

I inherited my grandmothers dining room set which is marked from the Unique Furniture Makers. The table is labeled Sienna 6171 Trestle Table and the chairs that go
with it are also Sienna and marked Sienna 6100. I beleive they purchased the set in the early 60'a, not sure of the type of wood or the value. Would you please send me some information on the set. Thank you so much!!

From Sue, 9/9/2008  7:42 PM

I bought what I guess is a server marked Unique Furniture Makers. It is pine, on casters, has drop ends, a shelf and two drawers in the bottom. It was unusual, so it caught my eye. The top was in very bad shape and I have taken off the old finish. Am very impressed with the quality construction of the piece. It seems to be an early American or colonial style, with a maple type stain, but the graining says pine. Any info?
Thanks.

From Linda Isner, 9/1/2008  9:17 AM

Just checking to see if this site is still active as I wrote earlier this year and got no response and the last reply is dated 5/10//2008 and now new ones since. Thank you.

From Sharon Walker, 5/10/2008  9:50 PM

I have a Unique Furniture Dining room set that was purchased in 1971
There is a large rectangular table with 6 chairs 2 with arms and caned backs. A lighted 2 piece hutch and a dining cart.
Would anyone be able to give me an idea what price I could get for this set.
Thank you

From Sam, 5/2/2008  7:03 PM

Hi, we are selling our Bolero II dining set by Unique. It has the cane back chairs (6), a lighted 2-piece hutch, and buffet w/slate top, but no table. We live in the northern VA area. Email: samstrckln@hotmail.com

From Monica Kayne, 4/22/2008  4:27 AM

I sent Gregg, the former rep an email but he never answered. Helloooo, Help!!! I have a Unique dining table with 6 chairs (2 arm) along with the china cabinet. It is solid oak (possibly pickled) with beautiful veneers on the table top and cabinet facade. There are carvings as well. The whole set could be described as contemporary country french. I have pics. How do I go about finding out what it might be worth? Anyone interested in buying? Thanks for any and all info. monica.kayne@hotmail.com

From DeAnna, 4/13/2008  12:15 AM

For David--I have a unique furtniare company night stand stamped John Vogler Goupr Nightstand #9517. Bought a pair at a charity auction and may be willing to sell one

From diane, 3/30/2008  2:21 PM

We have recently inherited our parents unique dining room set complete with buffet server, hutch, and dining table with six chairs, two are arm chairs, in the timberlace collection, which noone has mentioned? It says it is white oak and other types ofoak in the brochure, my mom kept. What does someone think the value would be. We are going to sell it. All in very good shape. the chairs are covered in a golden cloth fabric. Please help.
diane
long beach, ca

From Carrie, 3/29/2008  10:36 PM

I have a pine desk (three drawers on each side with one in the middle) by Unique Furniture Makers, purchased in 1956 by my mother-in-law when she got married. I can send a picture. Anyone out there who could help me price the desk?

From Linda Isner, 3/24/2008  5:12 PM

I would like to know the name of the set that I have and a approximate value of the same. I have 4 chairs with original upholstery (covered with plastic!) # 810 PECAN side chair, table with fold-down side leafs and one extension leaf #821 table peacan, #823 china cabinet pecan (top with glass doors), and bottom with seven draws #802 buffet pecan. It is in near perfect shape and is beautiful. I just moved it from Florida to Ohio (my Mothers estate) but feel if we move again to a warmer climate...I may not take it. I'm not sure.
I do know that as a child in Pittsburgh I remember going into one of the nicer furniture stores in Whitehall area and Mom picking out this furniture and special ordering it. I remember how excited we were to have it delivered. Please let me know what you know.

Thank you in advance.

From john, 3/22/2008  2:29 PM

i JUST BOUGHT A DINNING TABLE FOR 200.00 THAT SAYS IT ITS A JOHN VOGLR GROUP (UNIQUE FURNITURE MAKER) #9531 . AND IT IS IN GOOD CONDITION CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT A ESTIMATED VALUE COLD BE AND HOW CAN I TELL IF IS THE REAL THINK
817-938-1376

From Joe, 3/17/2008  11:08 AM

I am replying to Cindy. I may be able to help with the headboard. Can you send me a picture of the bedroom set?

From Leslee Hoffman, 3/12/2008  8:21 PM

I am curious why no one has stated an estimated value on any of the pieces previously mentioned. Is there no one with this knowledge? I too have inhereted a complete formal dinning room set. It is from the Vinata group and I thought it was solid beachwood but from reading the previous replies perhaps it is pecan or butternut. The set has 4 side chairs with upolstered seats and backs in a gold velour. The backs are framed in wood with a shell carving at the top center. There are 2 arm chairs, a 72" table that is of a unique shape with beautifully carved legs and a radius design on the surface, a massive china/buffet that is 72" wide and over 80" tall with beveled glass insets in the doors, and a server or console that has a marble/granite (not sure yet) top with two drop leaves. The set has a Louis Phillipe flavor. I am looking to sell the set to someone who will love it, but like all the others I am not sure of it's actual resale value. The entire set is solid wood and in excellent condition, there are no marks on the set. So if you are interested or have information regarding value please contact me at brandywine30@verizon.net.

From DAVID, 2/9/2008  3:03 PM

LOOKING FOR A NIGHT STAND (VENTAGE) MADE BY UNIQUE FURNITURE OF WINSTON SALEM. CAN ANY ONE HELP ME?

From John, 1/29/2008  11:33 AM

I would like info regarding a chest of drawers I purchased at an estate sale. It has 4 lockable drawers, a top made of half wood and marble, and 2 half circle handkerchief boxes w/lids on the wood part of the top. Inside the first drawer is embosed K&G with a symbol of a straighr back chair between the K and the &. Also there is the Pat.Reg. date of 5/3/'70 embosed below the K&G logo. The wood appears to be either pine or poplar but with a dark walnut stain finish. Any help regarding the manufacturer and age would be appreciated.

From TT, 1/26/2008  8:01 PM

We have a Cortlandt Collection 1717 including the dresser with 2 mirrors, armoire and 2 night stands. We are interested in selling the set but don't know what they are worth. Can anyone help? Please email me at ttmacdon@comcast.net

From Cindy, 1/18/2008  1:03 PM

I have a Unique bedroom set purchased in 1983. Looking for a queen or king size headboard to match. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

From Gregg Webster, 12/28/2007  3:15 AM

Sandy - Can you send me photos of the china base and top? I'm the guy that worked for Unique in the 80's.
greggweb@mac.com

From Sandy, 12/11/2007  8:37 PM

We have a Unique Furniture Makers China base and Top (# 6113 Sienna)that we are considering selling. Will discuss it anyone who is interested. Photos are available.

From Mychelle3, 12/6/2007  1:02 AM

I have a dining room set of Vinata Unique furniture which we are trying to price for an estate sale. We are considering keeping the set as well. It was purchased new in the 70's and is in great shape. The set includes a china hutch (7633), a Server (No.7662), 6 Cane back chairs, and a large shaped dining table with pedestals. Does anyone have any idea of what one would pay for this set? Any info would be appreciated!

From miss, 11/6/2007  2:55 AM

Has anyone ever heard of Lineage Dining Room Furniture. I purchased this pedistol table and chairs and hutch cracked almost white finish in Dec. 1993 at a store in Indianapolis Indiana and I am looking for 2 more side chairs and I dont know where to look. I looked on ebay no luck.

From Maggie, 10/28/2007  10:54 PM

This may make some of you cry: About four years ago, I bought a complete bedroom set made by Unique Furniture Makers from the estate of a deceased friend. I paid $400 for a 7-foot dresser, huge armoire, two night stands and a king size headboard. The door to the pieces are more than an inch thick and the dresser and armoir are on casters because it is so heavy.
The style is vaguely Asian, with heavy brass handles and pulls. I cannot identify the wood which looks like it could be pecan, with a lighter wood set in as trim. All grains and patterns match perfectly.
Does anyone have an idea what the wood and style might be or its approximate age? I suspect it goes back to the '60s. Any clues, drop me a line at mstiff@cfl.rr.com. Thanks.

From eva marie, 8/13/2007  7:23 PM

Need additional UNIQUE brand dining chairs. Spanish pecan style with cane back and padded seat. Tall knobs on chair back. Believe the style is "Bolero" from late 60's. Thanks,

From Carol Helm, 7/24/2007  12:05 PM

I have several pieces of hand made furnitue which was made by Newcomb of Durham, NC in the 1950s and 1960s. I am interested in finding our about the value of my pieces which include: Cherry China Cupboard, Cherry drop leaf table with four chairs and a sideboard. I also have a walnut coffee table, two chest and a hanging table made by this same maker.

Any help is appreciated.
carol

From Lynn, 7/12/2007  7:45 AM

I am looking for a maple Breakfastette made by the Unique Furniture Co. of Winston-Salem, NC. It's a combination china closet and fold-down table, probably from the 1940's I'm guessing. It would be perfect for my kitchen. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

From Larry, 7/10/2007  3:06 PM

I am looking for a china hutch and dinning table for the "John Vogler Group" made by the Unique Furniture Co. in Winston-Salem, NC. If you have such, I would like to hear from you. 804-748-6827 or email lcgreene1@verizon.net.

From Rachel, 7/8/2007  12:46 AM

I bought at an auction an office desk. Inside the top drawer it had jamestown table co, taylor made furniture burned in label. Im not for sure if it is mahogony or cherry but I'd like to know how much it is worth. Also cant find much info about this company because its no longer in business. Any info is appreciated. Thanks RO

From dhc, 7/7/2007  8:08 PM

I have a windsor side chair that says underneath the seat: "No. 9540, Side Chair, John Vogler Group". I bought six of these several years ago. I was told they were solid cherry. I would like to know if they are in fact solid cherry and how much they are worth. I figure the writing on the chair is a proper clue for someone with knowledge about the company that made the chairs. Does anyone know about this particular chair, is it solid cherry, and how much is it worth? Thanks. dhc

From Kathy, 6/20/2007  2:31 PM

We have a Unique Master Woodworker bedroom set in very good condition. We are moving and can not take it with us.   What is a reasonable selling price. There is a queen headboard, nine drawer dresser with mirror and 2 night stands.
Any help you can provider would be much appreciated.

From Mary, 6/12/2007  4:02 PM

I have a 6 ft dining table that says 0-8441 Senior Oval Table and Davani on the bottom. I also have 2 leaves that go with the table. I have 1 arm chair #1-8430 and 5 regular chairs #0-8430 in Champagne. The chairs are also marked case # 022468. They are all marked "Unique Furniture Makers Winston-Salem, NC Master Wood Workers since 1854. I received them from my grandmother's estate. I remember that she had the set when I was young in the 60's. Does ANYONE have ANY info regarding these pieces??

From Julia, 6/8/2007  12:53 PM

I have a set of three tables from the Unique Furniture Manufacturing Company, coffee table and two end/lamp tables with drawers. The marking on the end tables reads as follows: Sienna 6128 End Lamp Table. Can anyone help me determine age, original selling price or current market pricing?

Thanks

From Charlie, 5/31/2007  10:10 AM

I mourn the passing of this company. My ex-wife an I bought a 6 piece walnut stained, solid cherry B/R set from them in 1978. It was the finest built furniture I had ever seen in its price range. It had a gorgeous finish, unique lines (no pun intended), and the doors were all piano hinged. The attention to detail and quality was impressive in a time of mass produced, photographic finished junk.

Unfortunately, for me, I left the set with my ex when we split up. I had always wanted to buy another set from them. Too bad. Price wins out over quality again :(

From Jim Cathro, 5/27/2007  9:54 AM

I purchased a Unique bedroom set in 1955. It consisted of a double bookcase bed, a dresser and a chest of drawers. It was and is a beautiful set. It was labeled "sabine pecan by Unique."
I was wondering if anyone out there would have or know of someone who has a tripple dresser in this model.
I also got a pine dresser made by Unique on eBay that I am very happy with and got it at a very reasonable price. It is in a colonial pattern and if anyone knows of any other Unique pieces available I would appreciate hearing from them. Thanks, Jim       

From Sylvia, 4/25/2007  1:38 PM

I purchased a solid cherry bedroom set at a garage sale about a month ago. I'm giddy because I can't believe that I found such a wonderful set at a garage sale. It includes a full size bed (headboard and footboard) with slats, triple dresser with 11 drawers and wood framed mirror, an eight drawer chest, and a night stand. The previous owner (who passed away last year) took excellent care of the set. Her son said his parents purchased the set in the 1970s from a high end furniture store. Each drawer is marked "John Vogler Group." I found a booklet hanging on the back of the head board, which stated the set was manufactured by Unique Furniture Makers, Winston-Salem, NC. The booklet also gave the history of the company, told how the set was manufactured and listed instructions about how to care for the pieces. I paid $850 for the complete set. Boy did I get a deal (I bargained). Every day I go into my bedroom and can't believe this set belongs to me!!!!

From Jody, 4/24/2007  5:12 PM

Looking for a twin to my Kincaid Carridge House Bedside Chest. Also looking for new handles for My Kincaid Carridge House Chest of Drawers

From Dan Walsh, 4/23/2007  3:24 PM

For Gregg - The former Unique rep

I have a Unique formal dining dining room set. The chairs are marked with a label that shows 117-75. The table [has a mark 116 and the leaves 315] is 10Foot with 3 leaves,2 pedestals,and 6 side chairs and 2 arm chairs all with cane back and a shell at the back top; the server has 2 drop leaves w/ a slate top and 2 doors, the china cabinet is a 4 door w/piano hinges and beveled glass and 3 glass shelves sitting on a 4 door base [with 4 center drawers and 2 shelves each side. I believe it is oak and cherry, but am not sure. Would appreciate any info you have.
It is in excellent shape, we had a glass top sized and made to cover the table without leaves and kept the pads on when all the leaves were in place and in use.
I am interested in its current value and will be putting it up for sale and relocating to a smaller home.

Regards
Dan

From Manny V, 4/18/2007  1:36 PM

This is to inform who ever is interested that a Dining Room set by Unique Furniture Makers which I listed on the Furniture Magazine Board was sold.

From Sally, 4/16/2007  3:05 PM

I own a Unique Cortlandt bedroom set. My handle broke at the pin about 7 years ago. An elderly friend welded it and repaired it. It is good as new. I had looked for years for a replacement handle. Don't you just love that set?

From Joya, 4/11/2007  10:35 PM

I am seeking info from Greg who used to be a rep for Unique. I recently purchased a very beautiful dining room set manufactured by Unique. The tags on the chairs say Job# 110 Item# 11405220 side chair 220 Chablis. I just can't figure out what kind of wood it is. It has very beautful golden hues and squiggley lines on medium toned wood. Very rich looking. Someone told me that it was tiger wood and someone else has said it looks like olive wood. Please let me know if you can tell me what it could be. You can email me at nutemp@broadviewnet.net If you need a picture I can supply. Thanks, Joya

From Michelle McCallum, 4/11/2007  11:49 AM

My mother owns a Unique dining room set made of pecan wood with an unusual concave breakfront. She doesn't know the name of the group, but would love to have the server. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

From Bert Wertheim, 4/8/2007  11:13 AM

We have a Unique Bedroom set purchased in the early 1970's, which has some of the hardware that needs to be replaced. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Bert

From Carl, 3/31/2007  4:13 PM

About 35 years ago I purchased a used dinette set made by Unique. The 4 chairs and table are solid oak and are marked #54. The chairs have serial #3652. I have all the reason to believe that these were made in the latter 1930s, are in very strong condition. I am not interested in parting with them but am pleased to join a group of Uniquees. Haha.
Of course, If anyone has a similar set and has further information I would appreciate a reply to carleff2002@yahoo.com
Carl F.
Alameda, CA

From Lisha, 3/21/2007  2:24 PM

I read the message posted by Gregg who was a rep. for Unique in the 80's. I think my dresser may be one of the "bow front chests" that Gregg mentioned were manufactured in small runs. I do not have a complete bedroom set. I have a dresser and a spindle bed frame for which I need to determine the value before I sell these pieces. (They were my grandmother's in Asheville, NC). Gregg, if you read this, please email me at mamba81@charter.net so I can learn more from you about what I have. Thank you so much.

From Bonnie, 3/19/2007  12:36 PM

I have a china cabinet made by Unique Furn. Makers. The piece has 410 Breakfastette Melletone Maple on the back. Any idea of the value?
Bknickels@aol.com Thanks.

From Gail, 3/19/2007  11:19 AM

I have a pine desk with a Unique Furniture Makers label, center drawer and 3 drawers on the left and 3 on the right. The desk is a colonial or Early American style and has the original finish and hardware. If anyone has ideas regarding age or auction value, I would appreciate hearing from you. Don't want to sell, just curious about the desk.

From Manny V Gomez Sr, 3/2/2007  5:16 PM

I would like to get in touch with a gentelman by the name of Gregg that use to be a representative for Unique Furniture Makers, I have several pieces and would
like to obtain more information and maybee prices on this furniture. If I'll be able to obtain a phone # or for you to send me information to my e-mail:
Mannyvgomezsr@comcast.net. I put a message in the Furniture World Magazine. Thank You por any help.

From Lise S, 2/26/2007  8:50 PM

I have a pecan student bedroom set for sale in the Chicago area - two dressers, three drawers each and a desk with chair. Number 885. They are well used and could use some work, but are in generally good condition. Anyone have a guess as to what I should be asking for them? Many thanks.

From Al, 2/22/2007  12:44 AM

I have a beautiful set of furniture marked "The John Vogler Group" purchased by my parents in 1968 from a high-end furniture store. I have been told that it was made by Unique, but there is no burn mark that says so. Can anyone verify this for me? I have numbers, etc. if that is necessary.

Thanks!

From Greg, 2/20/2007  12:59 AM

I am looking for the names and contact information of suppliers that provided Unique Furniture Makers of Winston-Salem, NC a style of hardware (drawer and door handles) for furniture manufactured in 1982. I do not know the name of the Unique Furniture Makers line but do have a photos of a night stand that has the style of hardware I am trying to locate. Any information is appreciated. Greg

From susan, 2/10/2007  11:13 AM

have solid cherry dining set by unique available for sale. 5 side chairs #1110, 1 arm chair #1110, hutch top #1123, hutch base #1112, and gate leg table #1121. location louisville ky. phone 502 899 9770 email sam6700@bellsouth.net

From Brent Travis, 1/23/2007  1:54 PM

I have come accross a china and beffet at a garage sale. It is stamped Unique Furnature - 2200 China Ash. 2205 beffet ash. Is this your product and what is it worth.

From Karen, 1/19/2007  1:16 PM

I have been looking for information for years on the Unique Master Woodworkers furniture! I am delighted to have found this page on the internet! If anyone has a twin bedroom set for sale near the FL-AL-GA area, that is in great shape, please let me know. I was hoping to find a suite for our son's bedroom. I have been a Thomasville and Henredon devotee most of my life...but this furniture is the BEST! ksp12345@aol.com

From JMob, 1/16/2007  1:20 AM

Looking for date of manufacture of Unique Furniture Makers of Winston-Salem N.C., No 7551-A table and No 7550 chairs, marked Morocco (style , I'm guessing). Looks to be a combination of laminate and wolid wood for the table, solid wood and cane weave on the chairs. Can't seem to find the company online, we were wondering if anyone knows how old these are?

Marooned_06@msn.com

Thanks

From Tom, 1/7/2007  12:55 PM

Hi, Greg...re your posting of 10/21/2006, what have I got? pecan (kithcen?) table Unique 821, with one center leaf and both ends fold down, total opened length is 80 inch...Thanks.

From jason parmer, 12/23/2006  1:31 AM

hello my grandma pasted away and left me a bunch of furniture was wondering how much should i sell it forits from unique furniture makers its says on a card on the bottom of table 811 pecan table 2 fillers case#079399 the furniture is too old for my taste and noone wants it its in perfect shape mint condition is it worth anything please help if u can

From Michele, 12/12/2006  9:55 PM

I inherited a Pine Hutch stamped #420 on the back made by Unique. I know that this piece is approximately 50 years old. It is 2 pieces, the bottom piece has drawers all around the center that has a 2 door opening. The top piece sets on top of the bottom piece and is open with a groove on the shelves to hold plates upright. Also has ornate shelve fronts. If anyone knows where I might find the value of this piece, please email me meschoenbeck@sbcglobal.net, I can send pics.

From Joey Jensen, 11/28/2006  9:54 PM

I have a Unique Furniture Makers complete bedroom set that I would like to sell. This is a full six pieve Cal-King set. Includes the headboard, 2 night stands, dresser with mirror and another tall dresser. This is a 1950's classic one of a kind set. My parents bought it together many years ago and has recently given it to me. This furniture is a very good shape, a few scratches but nothing deep. The inside of the 2 night stand drawers are lined with red velvet. I love this set but we do not have the room for it. You should know that this furniture is the heaviest of furniture that I have ever tried to lift. It takes 2 just to lift one of the dressers just off the floor.
If anyone is interested please let me know. My email is joey.jensen@yahoo.com. The price is negotable.

From jeanine heikkila, 11/14/2006  1:20 AM

I found a Unique Furniture Makers formal dining room table with three leaves, 2 arms chairs, 6 side chairs. Very traditional. the wood may be pecan. The table has two pedestals, the chairs are light weight and have burled wood back.These pieces are in good condition and priced at $2300. Since I do not recognize the value of such furniture maker, I find it difficult to buy used furniture at this price. Could any one like Gregg,the ex-salesman for this company tell me if the purchaseis a good value. thanks

From Dale, 11/12/2006  4:51 PM

We have a Unique Furniture Makers bedroom set purchased in 1973 that we absolutely love. They just dont make furniture like this anymore. The model is the "Cortlandt" collection. Unfortunatley a drawer handle broke recently at the pivot pin and we need to replace the handle. Any suggestions on where we can locate parts?

From ka zellers, 11/12/2006  2:22 PM

Can you tell me when this was made? My grandparents had it pre-1967. dining room table with 4 side chairs and 1 arm chair, the table on underside has stamped in ink french provinchial 1425, unique furniture makers is engraved, the chairs are stamped in ink french provinchial 1420. There is an leaf to be inserted in the middle of the table for extending.

There is also a buffet and hutch but i do not have access to these pieces as of yet.

Thank-you

From Sam, 11/6/2006  10:08 AM

The movers ruined our Unique Furniture Makers pecan dining table, wo we're in the market for a replacement or perhaps sell what we do have, but I don't know the model. The chairs are cane-backed. We also have the china hutch/cabinet and buffet with metal drawer pulls. Buffet has slate top. Any ideas what the model might be would be appreciated. We've looked all over and only found "Unique Furniture Makers" stamped on one of the dining room table leaves. My email address is samstrckln@hotmail.com. Thanks.

From Mary English, 11/5/2006  9:52 AM

I have a china cabinet made by Unique Furniture Makers and one of the drawer pulls is broken. I have tried a number of webbsites but no luck. Does anybody have any suggestions as to where to look? Thanks!

From Blue, 10/29/2006  1:10 PM

I'n sorry - I posted in the wrong place :-(

From Kathie, 10/24/2006  10:03 PM

I purchased a dining set - Winston-Salem style back in the mid 80's. The set includes 6 Windsor chairs of which to are arm chairs, the table is a 6 foot oval w/2 leafs, a Hutch and serving cart. All solid cherry wood. At the time the set was over 25 years old. I am looking for an idea of how much this set is worth. Any ideas?

From Gregg, 10/21/2006  5:57 PM

I was a representative of Unique Furniture Makers in the 80's. I can probably help anyone identify most styles. The company went under after a tornado destroyed their cabinet area (where the machined pieces are assembled) and the insurance company never settled in a timely or even vaguely fair manner with the company (what else is new!). They had purchased the old Davis Cabinet Company of Nashville about 1986 and began making the Davis line (included Lillian Russell) at the Winston-Salem facility. The Unique 18th Century line was called Winston Square, a French line was Rochambeau. About 6-7 lines of dining room and bedroom furniture were made there during my tenure. The quality was Hernredon or better - usually better. There were some very high-end specialty pieces also such as a bow front chest and a magnificent carved door Armoire manufactured in very small runs - like 10 at a time. The dining chairs were all made by Commercial Carving Company in Thomasville who made better quality chairs for many different manufacturers. FYI: Casegoods manufacturers rarely make their own chairs.

Hope this helps anyone interested....

From kathy, 9/30/2006  6:17 PM

I just came back from an estate auction where I bought a complete bedroom set, queen high poster bed, highboy chest, large bureau with huge beveled glass wood framed mirror, and nightstand. Someone else wanted it as much as I did so the bidding went to $1150. On close inspection I feel I got a great deal. They just don't make furniture like this anymore. The drawers are all solid hardwood, and the pieces are quite heavy. It is a simple classic design. It has a date of 1982. The only thing is I don't know what kind of wood it is. Could be cherry, maybe mahogony.

From Mark, 8/22/2006  4:47 PM

SELLING UNIQUE DINING SET:

One(1) Model 5871 Dining table with two(2) leaves
One complete custom pad set
Two(20 Model 5840 Arm chairs
Four(4) Model 5840 Side chairs

All in nearly PERFECT condition.

Located Dallas, Texas 75230

Must be sold immediately as house is sold.

Will SACRIFICE for $2500 or best offer for quick sale

Trades Possible.

Please email Mark at twinbopilot@hotmail.com

From Heather, 8/21/2006  6:27 PM

I have a dining room set by unique furniture makers that I am interested in selling, but I need to find out the value. The set includes 1 dining table #881, 2 captains chairs #800, 4 side chairs #810, I china cabinet base #804, 1 china cabinet top #823. The set is beautiful pecan wood and I would be glad to send anyone who is interested some pictures. The set is in excellent condition!!! Please email hwshivley@hotmail.com if interested.

From JUDY, 8/20/2006  9:04 PM

I have a dining room set or suite by "the unique furniture company" it is made of solid pecan. the table is stamped with the # 811 and has 1 leaf. there is 2 arm chairs that are stamped static # 8 and # 810, and 4 side chairs stamped with # 810. Hutch with solid beveled wood doors # 803, and 2 buffets # 802.
If any one could help me out with an insurance value. I would greatly appriciate it. we recently moved across country and our set was damaged by the moving company.
I could provide pictures if you need.
Thank you. either email me or you could call me at 541-350-9697 thank you Toni.

From sherril, 8/15/2006  12:54 PM

I have a 10 foot pecan dining table, large beveled glass hutch and matchig server with 2 leafs that open/> It has a black granite top 10 chairs gold velvet seats and cain backs 2 end chairs have arms. I found a stock card stapled under a dining chair with 060644 case no. Unique Furniture Makers Winston Salem, North Carolina Master wood workers since 1854
I am looking for a buyer--moving into luxury motor coach. I special ordered this in the 70's from the sales rep at the Dallas Furniture mart. sherril 281 333-4886

From Jud Crawford, 8/10/2006  6:15 PM

My wife and I have a Hutch which she bought about 20 years ago. This piece is Winston-Salen, N.C. piece. I am going to let you know all the information on the back.
She bought it from someone who had it at least 50 years or more but I think this thing was made in the early 1900's or maybe before that.

There are three pieces of information on the back

1) In black colored letters it says NO. 1500 HUTCH Salem Maple. It is accross the back top of the Hutch in letters about 1 1/2 inch tall. Looks like an early form of a black stamp.

2)The second marking is a faded yellow sticker (about 2 1/2 in. by 4 in. that says Certificate of inspection with No. 106 hand written on it in pencal.There are other sentences typed on it but very faded and I can not read them.

3) The third thing is a 1 in. by 2 in. almost postal stamp looking stamp that says M & CIA with the serial number 12312C. Vefy formal looking with two black squares around the name and number.

I might be willing to sell it but I have to find out the value. Our e-mail address is jrcrawford2@msn.com and our phone number is 503-650-8219. My cell is 503 890-6239. My name is Jud.

From Rachel, 8/7/2006  3:52 PM

I have a lovely pecan wood server made by Unique which I found in Fredericksburg, VA. I would like to find a china cupboard in the same style and wood. Any out there?

From Marsha, 7/29/2006  12:51 AM

Re: Unique bedroom set acquired atPasadena, MD area estate sale. I may be interested. Do you know the name of the set? I am interested in a set called Vinata. Thank you, Marsha

From david bond, 7/12/2006  10:13 PM

Hi, we have acquired from a local estate some furniture made by "Unique Furniture Makers" of Winston-Salem. We have a complete bedroom set and dining room set. The furniture is in IMMACULATE CONDITION. We are located in Pasadena, Maryland. If anyone is interested in purchasing any of these items please email us at davnkat@hotmail.com. THANKS!!!

From jodi, 6/14/2006  10:00 PM

I failed to mention that it is from Unique Furniture of Winston-salem. There cloth-like logo is inside the left side of the top drawer. unfortunatley i am unsure of what type of wood it is.

From jodi, 6/14/2006  9:55 PM

I am looking to price and perhaps sell (too lazy to haul it to antiques roadshow) an immaculate hutch w/ four drawers and a glass cabinet (three shelved). It wsa my great uncles and i know he had it some time. It is gorgeous and if you have questions or any information please email me. I will be happy to provide you with digital photographs.

From David Smith, 6/4/2006  3:48 AM

I have a dining room set, table with 2 leaves, 2-802 gold velour arm chairs (style 7660), 4-802 gold velour side chairs (style 7650) and a china hutch with base. I'm looking for 2-4 additional side chairs. This set has been with my wife for 25 years and it still looks great.

From Joan, 5/21/2006  3:14 PM

We have an exquisite dining room set from Unique Furniture Makers of Winston-Salem, NC. It was purchased by my parents about 50 years ago but is still in near perfect condition. A custom made pad was always kept on the table, so there is not even a scratch on the surface. Although made of pecan, unlike many with cane back chairs, these chairs have a solid wood back. My mother had the chairs recovered to go with new dining room curtains. There is a buffet, 5 chairs (one with arms) and the table with a leaf and the pads. I have digital pictures if anyone is interested.

From J Hamilton, 4/2/2006  10:50 AM

Email doesn't pick up from required fields. Mine is jjhami@yahoo.com.

From J Hamilton, 4/1/2006  12:32 PM

In 1972 we purchased a dining room set from Unique in Winston-Salem (ordered thru a salesman from my husband's company, a box supplier in W-S). I don't have any papers, etc., on it, and it has at best a partial number stamped on one of the dining chairs and a casually written "465" on the bottom of the dining table. Have China, which I am thinking of keeping but moving it from TN to FL is creating problems, two side chairs with cane backs, and the table with two leaves. No where does it have the company name...only in the copy of a memo written in 1972 did I find this trail. It is Italian Provincial. Three people posted here; the most recent, PA Faulker, did not give an email address. Hope he/she sees this.

From PA Faulkner, 3/17/2006  5:11 PM

Am looking for Unique "Vinata" dining room China cabinet in butternut wood to go with table and chairs. Also credenze with "marble" top.   

From gwen, 1/6/2006  8:51 PM

In l957 I purchased a solid ash bedroom set (Early American which consists of regular bed, two chests, double dresser, mirror and night stand.   I purchased these new for $1000 for whole set.   I am looking for a match in a queen size bed.   Can you help. The furniture today is not made like this - it is still in brand new condition and I am trying to inform my heirs as to its value.   It was made by Unique in Winston-Salem North Carolina.

From Ezy, 12/10/2005  3:29 AM

I have a dinette set marked JC Spach Wagon Wks Inc. It is detailed with a red border around the top edges of the table and accented on the back of the chairs with the same design.
I would love to learn more about it and what it may be worth.   

From Anita, 11/7/2005  7:58 PM

I have a neat little piece of furniture. It looks kind of like what I would call a secretary. I am not quite sure what the piece was intended for or if it was part of a set. It is made by Unique Furniture Makers. On the back, it is stamped No.608 Charm Cupboard Mahogany. It is in fairly good shape. I got it from an estate of a 96 year old woman. I wonder if anyone has any info on it. Thanks in advance. ajbeary1@yahoo.com

From Dina, 10/14/2005  1:35 AM

I am also looking for pieces by Unique Furniture Makers. My Mom actually bought a Unique Furniture Makers Formal Dining Room Set (Rochambeau Collection) from a company called "Traditions Furniture" in either the SF Mart or Showplace in 1988/1989. The Rep actually ordered the set and it took 3 months to come in. So he "found" the furniture somewhere? Unfortunately this store closed and cannot go back to them. Is it possible this company goes under a different name? Or its inventory was bought by some other company? With so much interest, an answer must exist somewhere. Å Any assistance in locating I am looking to buy a bedroom set from them. Thank You Dinatxp@yahoo.com

From susan van der roest, 9/4/2005  5:45 PM

My parents purchased a Unique Furniture Makers diniing room set in the 1960's. There are 6 high back wood chairs with cream colored upholstery, table with leaves, and a large china cabinet. All are in very good shape. What is the ball park worth of this terrific set? Is anyone interested in purchasing it? susan@vdr.com

From Jason Leach, 8/5/2005  5:44 PM

I am also looking for some pieces made by Unique Furniture Makers.Please contact me if you have 4 No 9720 Cane Panel Side Chair. These are pecan wood chairs with cane backs. If you have any info, please email Jason at customrugs@gmail.com

From Tita Calzada, 7/30/2005  10:49 AM

I am looking for --4-- side chairs, style number 3320, made by Unique Furniture Makers, solid cherry. They go along with my dining table. Arm chairs would be OK too except I don't have the syle number. Anyone intersted in selling them? blessings, Tita Calzada. calzadat@gmail.com

From Barbara, 7/16/2005  6:02 PM

I have a beautiful Unique furniture piece called 200 breakfastette made in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. It looks like a small hutch and the whole front bottom half puuls up to make a small table. It was gotten from a lady who said she had had it for 50 years or more. Any one have any info on this piece? sisjj7@yahoo.com

From Richard Safier, 6/25/2005  5:02 PM

I have a Unique Bedroom set: Triple Dresser, 2 nightstands. king headboard,Triple Beveled Mirror and Amoire that I bought new in 1974 for sale on Ebay. Here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20480 &item=4390234228&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW It is in great shape, and will go for far less than it is worth. I live in Cleveland, OH rsafier@safier.com

From Linda Sinrod, 1/26/2005  7:57 AM

We have a lovely bedroom set by Unique probably bought around 1975 or so. It is the Vinata group - Italian Provincial. We are moving from Northern Virginia outside Washington DC and can't take it with us. If anyone in the area is interested, call right away, 703-550-9582 and I can send a picture of the set - will sell for $800. King size bed and beautyrest mattress, 2 nightstands, large dresser, large armoire. lsinrod@cox.net

From Maureen Haber, 1/23/2005  7:03 PM

In 1985, I bought a Unique Furniture Company bedroom set at close-out in Santa Clara, California. Among the fine furniture I've purchased, including Henredon, Drexel and Bernhardt, this set is still my favorite. The cherry wood triple dresser, night stands and armoir are curved yet stately, and detailed with fine finishing and quality construction. The entire set (K headboard, armoir, triple dresser, and 2 nightstands) retailed for around $25,000 and I purchased it for approx. $12,000 - a bargain then and especially by today's standards. Today, I'm furnishing a new bedroom and have yet to find a set that is equal in style or construction. I believe that anyone who has acquired Unique Furniture would agree it is high-end furniture that raised the bar for heirloom furniture.     

From Kathy, 1/18/2005  9:44 AM

I have the same problem as Wendy. I inherited a Unique Furniture Makers bedroom set from my aunt and I love it. I'm guessing my set is at least 50+ years old and made of pine. It only has one nightstand and I would really like to have a second one for my husband to use. I do some antiquing and I've never seen anything that would come close to matching. Maybe a trip to North Carolina is in order. kathleendvs@aol.com

From Dan, 11/17/2004  5:56 PM

I have come across a drop leaf harvest table with china cabinet made by unique furniture makers. The pieces are made of real cherry wood and has the item numbers stamped on the back and bottom---table is 3361 and china cabinet is 3333. Any idea on the value

From karen, 11/7/2004  11:10 PM

i believe the Lillian Russell collection was by Davis Cabinet...and Unique indeed was a fine company...sorry to see so many great American manufacturers close their doors...and this is just the beginning!

From Guest, 9/21/2004  9:07 AM

Wendy, It is difficult to find used furniture pieces, though the internet has made it somewhat easier (ebay). It seems that some company would create a website to listing used furniture for sale and organized by manufacturer. Fortunately, there is no rule that furniture needs to be displayed in collections and you may be able to fill in your missing pieces with interesting accent items, reproductions or pieces from currently made groups. Finding a talented sales or design associate at a local furniture store can be very helpful. You might take a photo of your current pieces and perhaps a drawer to compare finishes. -Russell.

From Wendy, 9/21/2004  7:01 AM

Great info on Unique. Thank you. My grandmother passed away when my mother was only 16 years old. The only possession my mother has from her mother is a bedroom set of Unique Furniture. She has 2 3-chest drawers, 2 student desks, 2 chest mirrors, and only one nightstand. I'd like to round out the collection by adding a nightstand and a bed. Any ideas on where I can find this replacement pieces today?

Thanks for any insights. Wendy

From Bill, 9/2/2004  11:49 PM

Just wanted to express my appreciate to Furniture World Magazine for the heads-up on the Unique Furniture Makers of Winston-Salem, NC. I greatly appreciate knowing the information you provided about them being out of business and when they were founded. We did not pay $13,000 for the set, but we did pay about 1/4th that. Still, we are delighted, and feel we have a wonderful set, and are happy with the transaction. We had been told it was about 8 years old, but clearly that is not accurate. It is probably 25 years old, which doesn't matter either. I simply was not familiar with the brand, so I very much appreciate knowing what you were able to share, and I thank you. ~Bill

From Guest, 8/31/2004  10:36 AM

Dear Bill, Unique has been out of business for about 25 years or so. The factory was based in Winston Salem, NC and founded in 1854 as the JC Spach Wagon Works, Inc., and started manufacturing dinettes in 1922. I used to know the company's president George Boss and their NY Sales rep Ira Epstein. The company made nice quality furniture and had some very long running groups (I believe the "Lillian Russell" wase one of them). I really don't know if the price quoted is a good deal or not... but it is possible that a similar set purchased today would cost that much. There is a lot of value in new furniture today due to the dominance of imported products and free-wheeling competition. That doesn't, however, mean that a used set is worth anywhere near $13,000.