Over 154 Years of Service to the Furniture Industry
 Furniture World Logo

Eames chair arm/seat repair

I have a Herman Miller Eams chair that I can't part with. It was given to me as a gift. Receintly the (seamingly) leather hinges that connect the back to the seat have dry rottod. I have tried to glue the one that is no longer any good to no avail. I would like to have the chair repaired. In contacting Herman Miller, they quoted me $1900 per arm replacement. I think the entire chair is only worth $2800 retail, and the arms are in great condition otherwise. does someone have any inormation on a reputable repair person? I miss siting in the chair every evening as I looked forward to it. I'll send it anywhere although I live in Philadelphia. Thanx, Marice Tannenbaum

Posted By Maurice Tannenbaum, 1/11/2005

Login to Reply to this Topic

Replies

From Maurice Tannenbaum, 8/8/2011  5:46 PM

to Lloyd Fadem,

re: womb chair.
is there a pattern to reupholster a womb chair available?

for example, does it require special glue to apply the fabric to the foam covered shell?

I have done minimal reupholstery.
It seems as though there is a separate piece of fabric covering a small square section in the center back of the chair and that is sewn to the surrounding fabric of the rest of the chair and this holds it in place?

Thank you,
eve

From JoeR, 6/7/2011  12:34 PM

I have a Eames Lounge with failed mount and because of that a broken shell. I'd like to get it fixed or repair it myself. The two quotes I received for the repairs are outrageous (Hxx.com and Oxx.com). I know everyone needs to make a living but I don't make enough of a living to afford their repair fees :)

Has anyone successfully tried repairing the plywood shell themselves?

John (post 3/8/2011) you didn't leave any contact info for your repair technique.

Paul Kope- Do you do plywood repairs also? Does one need to be from NYC? I'm not.

Perhaps a discusion on possible ways/techniques to repair the plywood shell? I've been thinking about trying to remove one of the middle ply layers about an 1'' or so back on each side and then gluing in some strong material like carbon fiber sheet into that slot to bring the two sides back together and hold. If I felt it was necessary I could add an additional layer of rosewood veneer to the inside surface for additional strength. I'd apply the veneer grain horizontal. I was also thinking I could use some lighter weight fiberglass cloth to the inside surface. When wetted out lighter weight fiberglass cloth almost disappears.

Anyone care to offer a suggestion on the finish HM used on the chairs (70s version). There are a few slivers of the outer ply that were damaged at the break. I will hand fit some rosewood veneer to fill. I assume the finish is a lacquer?

My Eames is early 70's but well used/loved(?). Probably not worth much to collectors but I really like it and like using it. Complete originality isn't necessary for me as I don't plan to sell mine. I don't want to hack job though either.

Repairs on one of the commercial sites look very bad from my perspective.

Comments/thoughts?

Thanks, Joe

From Paul Kope, 4/4/2011  8:27 PM

For leather issues with the 670 try Bruldardt Upholstery, they did the first runs for HM. Their # is 212-829-8330.

From Paul Kope, 4/4/2011  8:25 PM

If anyone needs help with Herman Miller repairs and is in or near the New York City are, I can probably help you.E-mail me or call me @ 212-532 0606.
ATB
Paul K.

From John, 3/8/2011  1:24 PM

I repaired my Eames Lounge Chair, where the rubber shock
mounts had deteriorated and given way. These are the mounts that attach the back to the seat shell, below the arms. I have details if anyone needs them. Total cost to me: ~$25.00 for special saw, fasteners, rubber, maple blocks and epoxy kit. The repair has lasted for the past ~5 years. The appearance is the same as original.

From Otis, 2/17/2011  3:20 PM

I have an original Eames chair and ottoman from approximately 1970. All the leather is worn out but the underlying upholstery is not damaged. Would appreciate current advice or quotes on reupholstering to original specs. I am omaxwell at gmail dot com.

From amie, 11/29/2010  3:59 PM

Could anyone please tell us where we could find out how to tell if Eames lounge chair and ottoman are original or knock offs.   Is there a makers mark?   If so were would it be.    What does under mount look like?    

From David, 11/25/2010  12:23 PM

I have two classic Eames chairs and the back has now broken off both! The most recent and repairable break is one that dates from the early 70s. I'd like to contact a reliable repairshop in Indiana or environs who will do and stand by their work.

From Sol Ovadia, 11/8/2010  12:10 AM

Prestige Furniture reupholsters the Eames Lounge Chair & Ottoman for 1,250.00 including black semi gloss leather. Includes aall new leather for chair and arms. Shockmounts are also remounted when seperated and most of the time can repair cracked lower back panel. Located in Queens @ 718 721-2200

From Stephen Levine, 9/24/2010  5:19 PM

I see my post did not include my email, which is catokirby@yahoo.com

From Stephen Levine, 9/24/2010  5:13 PM

I am looking to purchase a black leather seat cushion and a black leather ottoman cushion for my classic Herman Miller Eames Chair es 670. The leather and zippers are worn out. If you have these parts to sell, please contact me with pictures and a price.

From Nancy Stovall, 8/4/2010  5:29 PM

I have the Eames LCM style chair, brown in color perhaps walnut, not sure, from years back.

It need the black rubber grommets on the back that holds the back wood to the frame repaired.

What would be the cost to repair this, and to do a general clean up and restain, and time frame?

I live in Houston, Texas.

From Dana Still, 6/12/2010  9:33 PM

I have a yellow Eames shell armchair with wooden legs. I am looking for the L bracket that attaches the chair to the wooden legs. How can I determine the value of my chair?

From Tony Vaughan, 5/25/2010  2:50 PM

I forgot to say that it was this webpage that convinced me that the Eames chair problem was a design issue and not a manufacturer issue. That lead me to my decision to fix the problem myself.

Also, the fix took me a little longer because it was my first time, but the fix should take about 30 minutes once you know what is involved.

tony.vaughan@safehelp.com

From Tony Vaughan, 5/25/2010  2:11 PM

Like many of you, my Eames Lounge Chair fell apart; the rubber mountings failed. I was going to go to the small claims court to sue the supplier (I'm in the UK) but that would have taken six months, at least.

Finally, as my chair is a reproduction, I just decided to repair the chair permanently. To achieve this, I bought 8 M6 roofing bolts and 8 locking nuts to match; cost less than £10 (or $15). I simply drilled holes where the existing screws are and fitted the bolts. After six months the chair is solid and there is still the same flexibility as was there with the rubber fittings.

Obviously, if your chair is an investment, then this solution is not for you.

The bolts are unobtrusive as they are mostly hidden by the armrests. So, if you can live with that, this solution saves you a huge amount of stress and money; after all, you can enjoy your chair without worrying whether whoever is sitting in the chair will suddenly be looking skyward, legs in the air. Heaven forbid you might be holding a hot drink or a baby at the time.

I hope this helps.

From charlotte, 4/25/2010  6:43 PM

I have a Eams loung chair...The leather seat coushion zipper has dry rotted from the seat and the feather down insides are hanging out of the edges...I need the zipper that is attached to the leather seat and the plastic backing replaced..Where should I send it to be fixed right and cheep? I live outside of philly....Delaware County...

From James, 4/5/2010  10:38 AM

what's the best way to care for the leather of an Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman...my apt fluxuates between hot and cold and I fear its drying out the leather on the Ottoman.

Can anyone recommend a good solution or kit to keep the leather in good shape?

Thanks,

James

From Kevin, 4/2/2010  11:39 PM

I am having simalar issues with the wwoden backs breaking off the old hardened rubber mounts... I am trying Gorilla glue and carefully preping the surfaces and cleaning excess glue as it cures and expands...I have just repaired a seat bottom and will try the back next...will keep you up to date with the success or lack of....Kevin...Forestville, CA

From Dr. Tom, 3/20/2010  12:34 AM

Give him a $1000.

From Robert, 3/14/2010  4:26 PM

I have been offered a 40 year old vintage lounge/ottoman combo, black leather, cherry wood config that according to the seller is still in good condition...for $500. Provided its authentic and pans out condition wise, the value could be well into the $3000-$6000 range correct?

I would be a fool NOT to jump on it while I can right? (again, providing all checks and balances pan out)

I am very green in this territory but learning fast...is there a feasible market for such vintage chairs where it could be sold for profit quite readily??

Any info anyone could provide is greatly appreciated

Thanks!

From Ron, 3/8/2010  4:46 PM

I have genuine Herman Miller Eames lounge Cushions in black leather for sale. I have 2 full sets which include the ottoman cushion. These are Brand NEW and have NEVER been used. These cushions will only fit chairs with rectangular clips.

Asking $1200 per set plus shipping. Contact me at Jobiemed@yahoo.com

From humemodern, 2/4/2010  8:00 PM

Eames Lounge Chair Shock Mount Installation

Removal and installation of neoprene side flexing shock mounts. $138.00 labor.

Original Style Neoprene Side Flexing Shock Mounts (one pair). $89.75

Lead time approx. 2 weeks.

Mention either Olek or Special K Products and you will receive 20% discount

Hello Roy
We would be interested in your lounge chair parts but if you are interested we have a perfect set of vintage rosewood panels for an ES670-71 available with humemodern shock mounts already installed
Contact us at
www.humemodern.com

From Ingrid Eberhard-Evans, 1/26/2010  4:32 AM

Looking for repair/spares for the ottoman lounge chair in black leather

From Ardis, 1/20/2010  10:31 PM

I had my seat and ottoman covers reupholstered a few years ago and the man who did it didn't know what he was doing. Is it cheaper to send the pieces back to be reupholstered or just buy 2 new seats?

From Roy Yumori, 1/19/2010  12:10 AM

Repair of Eames Lounge Chair by Herman Miller Authorized Repair

Although I still think the Herman Miller Eames Lounge Chair is best looking lounge chair made, I think there is a basic design flaw in the shock mount design and Herman Miller Authorized Repair cannot do an effective repair.

I have had my Eames chair for 23 years and have had it repaired 5 times by Herman Miller. After the last repair, it broke one of the ears on the back panel and now is irreparable.

I bought my Eames chair and ottoman with rosewood and black leather for $1500 in March 1987.

The shock mount on the lower panel broke off in Jan. 2001. I found out I could get a repair by Herman Miller for $85 including return shipping. The repair took about 6 weeks. The shock mount broke again in May, 2001. Since it was still under the one year repair warranty, Herman Miller repaired it for free.

The shock mount broke off again in May, 2007. Since it broke off both the lower and back panels, repairs cost about $250 including return shipping.

The mount broke again in Sep. 2008.   It cost about $125.

The shock mount broke again in Nov. 2009. Although it was slightly over the one year warranty, Herman Miller repaired it for free.   The repair took about 4 weeks.

One week after the repaired panel was returned it broke again. This time one of ears on the back panel broke off and the Eames chair was irreparable.

Time to Failure

1-01     13.8 yrs
5-01      0.3 yrs
5-07      6.0 yrs
9-08       1.3 yrs
11-09     1.2 yrs
12-09      0.02 yrs

Mean Time to Failure = 3.8 years

It appeared the initial failure was the glue attachment to the metal back of the shock mount due to shear failure. After one side broke, the other side broke due to high bending loads. Often this would tear out the wood attaching to the shock mount. When the wood tore out, the repairer routed one layer of the plywood to get to undamaged wood for the attachment of the glue. Repeated repairs had weakened the ear so it broke.

The design flaw is the shear area of the shock mount is too small. Even modern adhesives are not strong enough. The shock mount metal base should be increased in area.

Looking at this forum, many want to have Herman Miller do their repair in order to keep their Eames Chair in original condition. I have no interest in selling my chair to a collector. I just want a chair that won’t collapse and dump me on my back. Hume Modern and Olek Lejbzon & Co claim they have a better design for the shock mounts. Since I don’t see anybody complaining about them, I believe they have a better design, but it costs a lot more than a Herman Miller repair. Since the replacement costs for an Eames Chair and ottoman are above $4K, and Herman Miller hasn’t been able to make a reliable repair, I believe it is a better investment to get the repair by Hume Modern or Olek.

From Fran, 1/18/2010  6:29 PM

Anyone know of a reputable repair person in Charleston, SC who could repair an original Eames Lounge Chair?

From Landon Johnson, 1/17/2010  10:01 AM

Roy Yumori,

I was in the same situation you are, with a pile of parts taking up space.

My 1964 Eames rosewood is now almost perfect, has been sat in daily for six months with no issues. I chose Hume Modern to do the work, and I am very pleased with the results.

Alfie was a stand-up guy for me - took a bit longer than expected but well worth the wait.

While I am in agreement that the mounts are the weak point of the design, a 15-year "MTBF" is not in my opinion a 'poor design' - this is the only piece of furniture I have ever owned for more than a few years without needing repair or falling apart.

I assume "HM" means Howard Miller, not Hume Modern?

Good luck, whatever you decide.

LJ

From Roy Yumori, 1/16/2010  7:54 AM

I am giving up on repairing my HM Eames Lounge Chair. Is there anyone interested in buying a 1987 Rosewood with Black Leather chair for parts?

The shock mount first broke in 2001. I had HM fix it for about $85 for one panel including return shipping. Since then, I have returned it HM 5 times for repairs.   Repair costs rose to $250 to repair two panels. Twice it broke during the one year warranty period and HM repaired it for free, but I had to pay the shipping to HM. If the wood has been damaged where the adhesive pulled off, they routed out a layer of plywood to get to fresh wood.

After the last repair, the ear on the back panel broke off because the ear has been weakened by the HM repairer having routed two layers of the five layers away.

HM wants $2120 for a set of replacement wood panels and they won't be rosewood.

Olek Lejbzon & Co quoted $900 to repair the ear and $800 to replace the shock mounts with a 10 yr warranty.

I have a PhD in Engineering and agree that there is a basic design flaw in attaching the shock mounts.

From andy, 12/16/2009  7:44 PM

Hello. I can buy an old Herman Miller european version, because I am from europe (germany).
I just have looked at this model a few days ago. What I notice was, that the cross-base have had a little "air" inside the 5 star base. I hope you understand what I mean.
Is it possible to repair by own ? How does is look like inside the base? I saw , that there was a snap ring. When I open it, are there one or more bearings in it? Is there anything I can destroy when I open it? I think it must be possible to make a casing, so that all is tight...., or is it possible to buy a repair kit?
And there was a number..I think 97 on the big wooden shell stamped. Is it a production number or what can it mean. I can´t be the year, because they definetly came from the late 60´s. Maybe anyone can help....

From skeptic, 10/11/2009  9:56 PM

Just thought I'd throw a quick question out there. Why is there all the debate on who is best to do an Eames repair when Herman Miller is available to do the work? These chairs cost upwards of $2500 and more if you're talking an early model, why risk it when the original manufacturer can repair and provide credible paperwork?? I do not work for Herman Miller - Just a skeptical owner of Eames furniture.    

From Landon Johnson, 7/24/2009  6:15 PM

Well, the results are in - sort of.

I received the Eames chair back from Hume Modern today - I elected to go with the more original style, as the factory ones lasted almost 35 years.

1. I received the chair two days after I mailed out a check - I am sure it has not cashed, yet the chair is here. That to me speaks volumes.

2. Opening the box, the chair was well packaged - much better than when I sent it in.

3. When shipped out, the chair had the equivalent of three tubes of PC7 smeared all over the remains of the shockmounts as well as the wood. When received, it was all removed cleanly, with a minimum of trauma to the wood itself. There was some evidence of work having been done, but c'mon, high strength adhesive in wood grain doesn't get peeled off I am sure.

All in all, I am very satisfied with the appearance of the repair. Once I get new cushions for this thing I'll put it back together and let you all know how long it lasts. I expect this thread will be here 20-30 years from now?

Landon Johnson

From humemodern, 7/7/2009  1:52 PM

www.humemodern.com

From humemodern, 7/7/2009  1:50 PM

Special K Product.
How are the ebay sales going for your Eames lounge chair shock mounts with the 'shear' plate.
Are all your customers happy?
No complaints right.
They are all aware that you are offering a warranty for as long as they own the chair.
Does that mean that if their chair should break and fracture due to installing inferior parts you will repair the damage for free or you will return their 20 bucks for the failed part and leave them up a creek.
Keep up the fantastic sales as we love a bit of friendly competition at Humemodern.
**Your customers become our customers at the end of the day.**

Don't forget our 20% Olek Discount
Just mention Olek on our estimate request form and you will receive 20% off both parts and labor on all your Eames shock mount replacements, Fiberglass, DCM & Lounge

Humemodern specializing in the restoration of vintage Eames furniture for more than a decade.
                   www.humemode rn.com

From Ellen Dickens, 6/17/2009  11:02 AM

I have an Eames shell chair with DCM glides. One leg is missing a glide and while I have gotten replacement glides from Herman Miller we can't figure out how to take the old one off and replace it. Can anyone help?
Thanks.

From Betty Mortensen, 6/7/2009  1:03 PM

Please help me find a repair shop for my Eames molded plywood dining chair. The seat is off and the back is loose.I am in Houston, Tx.

From Landon Johnson, 6/4/2009  7:20 PM

I have asked for quotes from both Alfie and Olek and will likely make a decision soon. I have been trying to decide for two years what to do with this chair! I have no problem with these artists' passion showing through in their posts, although I think the line has been crossed a couple times. However, I don't really care I just want the chair fixed, and fixed right so it will last another 25-30 years. This is not a design flaw - if it is then we are all flawed as we will fail eventually too. If the mounts failed after 1 year then yes, but 30 years? No... not a flaw to me.

Alfie and Peter can speak until they're blue in the face (no offense meant) but what I care about is what the customers say.

Who has actually had their chair repaired by either of these upstanding businesses, and what have been the outcomes?

Thanks,
dorkdog@verizon.net

From LBJr, 5/9/2009  2:32 PM

I belt sanded about a hair off the surface of the failed shock mounts on my Eames LCW prototype, which has round mounts, not the elliptical ones. I then drilled a few shallow 1/16" holes in the mount in order to get some more glue surface... I also fully prepped the ply surface down to raw wood and used a 24-hour set epoxy, the highest strength I could find. So far so good. I've got about a year of people sitting and even doing the dreaded back stretch move, which is the killer move. My previous repair, using 5-minute set epoxy and no holes drilled in the mounts didn't last more than a few months. I expect this one will eventually fail, as the mounts are pretty brittle, but if I get a few more years out of the originals I'll be happy.
Considering the tenor of this debate between the professional repair people that I've been reading all over the web, I'll be happy to not give anybody my business. You guys need to stick to your own techniques and act like adults.

From Laura K, 5/3/2009  2:31 AM

Dear Herman Miller /Eames enthusiasts... I hope it may be appropriate to post this note here. I have an original early 1960s classic Eames lounge chair and ottoman, black leather, rosewood, very good condition, that I am offering for sale. I am an individual, not a dealer, etc. Location: New England/ New York. If interested please contact: lkcomposer@yahoo.com. Thank you!

From Special K Products, 4/26/2009  12:38 PM

Dear Hume Modern,

If you are a certified Porsche repair facility, you install factory original parts when you do a repair. If you advertise that you are Herman Miller seating certified then you should install Herman Miller product.

If you bad mouth our product saying it is fake like you did on 3/11/2009 on this Forum as well as others,
When just like you we are selling "original style"
(same size and feel) mounts for Eames and Herman Miller Products to our customers that are in need of a replacement that is no longer available from the factory,
Then I will bring it to everyone's attention that your product is not OEM as well.

We are however offering a better product that has been tested against the Hume Modern Product for adhesion and durability. It's just like putting polyurethane bushings in the suspension of your old Porsche they will give you the same comfort and feel but will last longer.

In the case of the 670 mounts we have added a steel plate in the back to help the shear strength. You are correct Alfie, this was not originally done by Herman Miller in 1958, however in 1994 Herman Miller Inc. added the steel plate to enhance the bonding surface.

My offer still stands Alfie,
I will send you free of charge a sample of our product to you if you would like to do your own testing.
If you like I will give you a trade discount as well.

You can find us on Ebay
Special K Products

From humemodern, 4/25/2009  6:05 PM

Shame & Lying Olek Lejbzon & Co.

Peter before pointing the finger you might want to check where the components of your Proprietary Blocks come from.
Beech wood possibly Canada, t-nut probably Taiwan and that little piece of neoprene insert might be from China.
During all our restorations and repairs we use material from a number of countries. Leather from Argentina & Italy, fabrics from Denmark & Scandinavia and most of our hardwood veneers are from South American.
To accuse us of lying is another matter.
Please point out to us and everyone who reads this where you have read that one of our mounts failed within a month and that our ES670 shock mount repairs come with a one year warranty when it is in fact 5 years.
And why may I ask did you contact us about purchasing our shock mounts on 05/08/07 if you already made some yourself.What a hypocrite!
You say that you made shock mounts in your shop in the US
I had no idea that injection molding was included in your company’s services.
Who’s telling lies?
Enough said here is the deal.
Any customer of Olek Lejbzon & Co. who has had their Proprietary Blocks installed and is unsure of their strength and wants to regain the classic bounce and also the integrity of their ES670 can send us their panels along with a copy of your Olek Lejbzon invoice and we will remove the wood blocks and install our tried and tested side flexing shock mounts for FREE.
All you will need to pay for is the UPS Ground charge.
We stand behind our product 100% and that’s not all.
If you are a new customer in need of an ES670 shock mount replacement visit our web site www.humemodern.com and fill out our estimate request form,
www.humemodern.com/shockmount/shockmount_form.html in the description box enter 'Olek Lejbzon Discount’ and we will discount 20% from your final parts and labor charge.

Special K Products
You say our shock mounts are fake so please bring to everyone’s attention were we have stated that our mounts are genuine Herman Miller.
We sell our DCM shock mounts as original style shock mounts which means that they are made exactly the same as the original product from neoprene rubber not plastic polyurethane like the ones you market.
You are also in agreement with Olek Lejbzon stating that quote 'Polyurethane will not deteriorate like Neoprene and is it is easier to adhere to than Neoprene' so please tell us why you are selling ES670 mounts with a metal backing and stating that they are just like the originals.
I suppose you have extensive experience and knowledge bonding steel to plywood.
The original mounts never had a steel backing plate.

Over the last decade Hume Modern has installed thousands of original style shock mounts on all types of Eames furniture.
It is true to say that there had been issues with the adhesive failing many years ago but through extensive stress testing a bonding system was formulated and has work successfully since.
This is not a DIY slap on a bit of glue and clamp repair this is a system which ensures proper seating angle, strength and flexibility
Any one with the slightest knowledge of furniture restoration will agree that repairing an ES670 is not a piece of cake and any company pretending otherwise is misleading the public.
Before we sell shock mounts to anyone we always recommend that a professional furniture restorer install them.
We sell our shock mounts to restoration companies throughout the world even China! (Actually Hong Kong)
And Peter if you decide to repair your clients chairs the right way in the future I’m sure if you contact either Hume Modern or Special K Product we will give you a trade discount.

www.humemodern.com
#310 314 6936

From Peter Triestman, 4/21/2009  1:23 PM

Hume Modern,
SHAME! You are using Chinese replacement shock mounts for your shock mount repairs. The shame is not necessarily that they are Chinese, but that you are lying about it and castigating others, such as Olek Lejbzon & Co. for their proprietary shock mounts. What a hypocrite!

We used to make neoprene shock mounts with internal threaded steel plate as the originals were made, in our shop (in the U.S.), but choose not to anymore as the design and performance is inferior.

At least we are supplying a proprietary part that works, and is not known for pre(deleted) failure. Reading through this blog, others have complained about your shock mounts failing within one month! A one year warranty is nothing to brag about. Olek offers 10 year warranty, with our proprietary shock mounts only.

Olek Lejbzon & Co. stands behind its better design. Hume stands behind Herman Miller, proclaiming authenticity, but substitutes Chinese replacement shock mounts. Does Herman Miller know its authorized repair center is doing this? The best repair of Herman Miller Eames Lounge Chairs may be obtained through www.oleklejbzon.com. 212-243-3363.

From Susan, 3/30/2009  3:46 PM

I have an 1975 Eames Lounge that has a broken lower back shell due to the failure of the glue on one of the rubber shockmounts. Didn't realize it had come unattached sat back in it and... CRACK. I almost cried. Apparently Herman Miller changed the design in 2004 so there are no replacement pieces available through them. I may be able to have someone glue the wood pieces back together but am sure that will destroy the value. Does anyone know of somewhere that may have older replacement parts? Thanks

From rex vest, 3/23/2009  3:11 PM

I need info on replacing/repairing the leather seat on an Eames Lounge chair. I am in the Los Angeles area,

From rex vest, 3/23/2009  3:08 PM

I would like information on replacing leather seat om An Eames Lounge chair. I am located in Los Angeles.

From Jack mangan, 3/14/2009  10:57 PM

Does anyone have any Eames Aluminum Management Side Chair parts for sale?

I have a brand new Management Side Chair I bought from DWR that has a broken Aluminum side piece that anchors the leather chair pad. The left side "L" bracket is the piece I am looking for. Please email me at jmanganusa@yahoo.com if your interested in selling this part(s).

Lets make a deal!

Thanks.

From Special K Products, 3/12/2009  10:38 PM

About Shock Mounts on eBay by Special K Products,
And anyone interested in a solution to replace/repair the shock mounts on their Eames chairs.
It was brought to my attention by reading many forums that there are many people with the same problem of Eames chair glue and shock mount repair. This is why it is time for change. I am the person on eBay selling a helpful and cost effective approach, basically giving the people what they are asking for (a fix to their chair problem) by supplying shock mounts, adhesive and instruction so people can fix their chairs themselves if they are comfortable to do so and save money. If they do not feel they can fix a chair they could always go to a more crafty person as Hume Modern or Olek and pay a little extra.
I do not have any desire to repair furniture, but I could if I had more time as I have over 25 years woodworking and plastics experience (mostly polyurethanes and fiberglass). I will stay out of the who does a better repair battle. I however will defend my product by saying I have purchased the Hume Modern shock mount that has proudly embossed CHINA on it, where I assume it was made, and found it to be of good quality but just as well fake EAMES. However I would have to agree with Peter from Olek that the neoprene which is claimed to be superior is the root problem to this ongoing issue.
Giving you my experience in plastics and chemical background, Polyurethane will not deteriorate like Neoprene and is it is easier to adhere to than Neoprene.
Like the neoprene our polyurethane mounts are also a 90 Shore A harness, so you can get the same feel as the original. (So to Hume modern, please do not state that polyurethane is inferior when in fact it is superior. Also Mr. Hume If you would like to compare yourself, I will send you one of our mounts at no charge.) To anyone interested in purchasing our shock mounts and or our DIY adhesive kit, you will be glad to know we carry shock mounts on eBay for the vintage DCW and LCW chair backs, fiberglass shell chairs. Please take a moment to read our eBay feedback at Special K Products.
Lastly, next week we will have the 670 lounge chair armrest mount using our polyurethane with a metal back just like the original. We have tested this 670 mount to hold 750+ pounds per mount in shear strength, more than the original at 400 lbs, so this may solve the solution for most of the questions on this forum in regards to shock mount repair.
Please visit Special K Products on Ebay.

From humemodern, 3/11/2009  12:18 PM

FAKE EAMES MOUNTS

It has been brought to our attention by a number of Eames owners that so called "eames" shock mounts are being sold on ebay.
These shock mounts are made from a glossy polyurethane.
THEY ARE NOT A HUMEMODERN PRODUCT.
Our shock mounts are made from a durable quality neoprene with a matte look.
Don't be tricked by the price as these polyurethane mounts will quickly over stretch or tear due to the inferior properties of the material.
Please contact us if you have concerns or questions about your Eames furniture.

www.humemodern.com

From Jaime Dorman, 2/17/2009  10:55 PM

Eames Lounge Chair ES670 - Side Shock Mount
Well here we go again. The shock mount that I repaired in September 2007 let loose last night. I used the Loctite E-60HP Epoxy, it failed at the rubber mount not the wood. I noticed that there was a very thin film of the adhesive even though I used light spring clamps, not c-clamps to hold everything in place. The two other repairs that I made previously using PC-11 are fine, probably a thicker film as the PC-11 is a pretty thick paste, it also is white in color, so a black sharpie is in order. I think I also have one joint that is still the Herman-Miller original ! Anyway, this time I'm going to try the PC-7, it has higher specs than the PC-11. I should mention that I am using the original shock mounts as $43 each for new ones will have to wait.

From humemodern, 2/5/2009  6:07 PM

EAMES LOVERS & HATERS

Unlike some of our honorable competitors who constantly slam Herman Miller stating that the company is building an inferior product we at Hume Modern on the other hand are always appreciative that we have the opportunity to work not only on the most famous and recognizable mid century furniture in the world but also the fact that it is manufactured and assembled in the heart of this great country.
If you hate Eames furniture design why on earth do you fix it, Is it the money?
You will see from a quick tour of our web site that we embrace and love mid century design.
All our restoration projects are started and finished using the utmost care and attention to detail.
We would never install inferior parts or components to 'fix' a clients chair.
All our replacement repair parts are either original or exact replicas of originals using modern day materials.
We are not claiming to be scientists here but could someone please let us know how many years it would take new neoprene to oxidize in an average modern day household?
If you had a block of wood and a block of neoprene rubber and you flexed it on a constant basis which one would retain its bounce the longest?
Please contact us with this information at info@humemodern.com

www.humemodern.com

Advertising is not intended in this message.

From Maurice tannenbaum, 2/5/2009  7:05 AM

I did and am waiting for a response!

From ChairMD, 2/4/2009  5:01 PM

Please feel free to contact ChairMD.com for your Eames Lounge Chair repair needs. As a Herman Miller authorized service center, repairs such as shockmount replacements and cushion reupholsting would be done in Herman Miller's facility by trained technicians.

ChairMD
877-349-2424
customercare@chairmd.com

From gini l, 1/27/2009  5:43 PM

I recently purchase 670 chair and 671 ottoman, assuming it to be a HM, but I am now finding out it might have be a Vitra model since it was purchased new in Italy in 1965. The base on both is all aluminum. Both pieces are in good condition, black leather & rosewood finish. Does anyone know the value since it may not be a HM but Vitra model??? I am in need of two base screws, would they be metric, 2 bottons along with two glides (white) for the ottoman. Any ideas on where I might get these parts?

From Lynn Dixon, 1/26/2009  11:31 AM

I inherited an original eames lounge chair (year/model unknow) but arm rests need reupholstering. I live in Washington DC/ Any suggestions?

From Peter Triestman, 12/28/2008  6:18 PM

Tom,
Olek Lejbzon & Co. is located at 425 Ferry St., Newark, NJ, and has been restoring furniture since 1950. We have been restoring Eames Lounge Chairs since about 1960. We can restore it with the original design shock mounts with a 3 yr. warranty, or with our proprietary shock mount, with a 10 year warranty. The two mounts are indistinguishable unless you probe the material or remove the mounts from the chair.

Old neoprene shockmounts oxidize, the neoprene rubber becomes stiff and powdery, and are irreparable. They should be replaced. Glue will only hold the surface of the neoprene, but when the neoprene oxidizes, it lacks internal cohesivity, and the surface of the neoprene pulls away from the neoprene below, so that it cannot possibly hold for long. People trying to reglue an old mount are risking a much more serious problem, as when a shock mount gives way, the back of the chair can swing backward and rotate around the "ear" of the lower shell on the opposite side, snapping the plywood ear off, and creating damages that are much more complicated to repair, and involve partially re-laminating the inside of the lower shell. A routine conservation repair, but invasive and expensive.

Concerning the shockmount types, we can use the neoprene/steel threaded plate sandwich design that Herman Miller uses, but our opinion is that that design is the biggest flaw we have ever seen in modern furniture, and should not be repeated, though Herman Miller seems to have learned from G.M. and profits from planned obsolescence/failure. Their new lounge chairs carry a 3 yr. warranty, all other furniture a 15 yr. warranty. There is no mystery as to what they are telling us.

A superior, proprietary design is to use ebonized solid beech wood plates with the same radiused shapes (in three dimensions) as the neoprene originals, with holes drilled into the beech plates, into which T-nuts are inserted, with neoprene bushing around the T-nuts, to provide the shock mount flexibility, without its fallibility. The glue joint between beech and the plywood is trouble free for many more decades than Herman Miller's design. We have repaired many Eames lounge chairs over the past fif(deleted) years with our original shock mount design, and have not had any failures. You cannot tell the difference by looking or feeling the improved mounts, they are finished by our artists to match the original neoprene.

You can send the lower back shell and the seat shell to us disassembled in a box, and we will repair and ship disassembled, for you to reassemble (simple screws).
We will repair and turn around the order in less than four weeks.

Sincerely,
Peter Triestman
Olek Lejbzon & Co.
www.oleklejbzon.com
212-243-3363

From Tom, 12/14/2008  10:37 AM

Well I've read through most of this thread and seem more confused than when I started. Looking to find a local place (near Brooklyn, New York) to restore/reupholster an Earmes Lounge Chair and Ottoman. It actually belongs to someone else and looking to do for a (deleted)day. I am also concerned that this chair and ottoman are authentic although he has had them since the seventies. Is there an easy way to confirm authenticity? It certainly does look like the real thing. Any help on either of these points would be appreciated.
Thanks

From jon h, 11/30/2008  9:24 PM

i just discovered that my stinky old aluminum chair is an eames/herman miller management chair! yay. but, it is ugly pink vinyl and stinky. anyone know if is cost effective to replace the vinyl through herman miller or others?

thanks,
jon

From Jack Mangan, 11/23/2008  7:01 PM

Our Eames Aluminum Management Side Chair broke this weekend. The left side aluminum "L" shaped bracket which anchors the leather into the chair frame fractured and broke while also tearing the leather. Major bummer.....

Do any of you know where I can buy replacement Herman Miller parts??? Any help appreciated. I already emailed www.humemodern.com and hope they can help us.

Thanks,

JACK

From Jaime Dorman, 11/16/2008  3:48 PM

I've posted replies previously concerning the shock mounts on an Earmes Lounge Chair. I've tried PC-11 (might be PC-7) which worked OK and 3M 5200 (didn't work at all), but believe that the Loctite E-60HP which they list as being excellent for both rubber and wood works the best. It is a 2 part adhesive with 60 minute working time. I purchased on-line from www.stanleysupplyservices.com, I think Amazon sells it now as well. It is available in 50ml tubes at a reasonable price. My last repair was over a year ago and I use the chair every day. The shear (most likely failure force) strength for E-60HP is 3000-5000 psi.

From Todd Barneck, 10/8/2008  12:16 AM

Two of my Eames chairs "POPPED" this summer, They were both made around 1974. I tried several epoxies, they failed. Then I re-read the blog that suggested PC-7 epoxy paste. It works great! made to stick to wood and rubber. I know that it will loose its value on the Antiques Roadshow in 200 years. But who wants to pay $1800 to repair it? I found the epoxy at Ace Hardware. or check pcepoxy.com

From humeModern, 9/22/2008  8:44 PM

Well Alan it looks like you are in the same position as many of our first time customer.
What to do?
You can experiment with different adhesives etc. but at the end of the day do you really want to re-install old shock mounts.
Overtime the neoprene hardens which is why they have detached from the shell.
The only thing to do is have new neoprene shock mounts installed.
We can do this for you using our formulated bonding system.
On assembly your chair will have regained its original 'bounce' along with its strength whilst not effecting its original integrity.
Contact us for a quote via our on line estimate request form.
www.humemodern.com

From Alan Goldsworthy, 9/18/2008  8:53 PM

I also have a Lounge chair (actually a friend's who I am helping out, I hope) with shockmount failure, his has the rosewood veneer. I have done a lot of woodworking over many years and trust myself to do the best possible work, plus I like a challenge. I find the debate over preserving the "purity" of the original Eames design and materials versus "improving" a flawed design subject to periodic failure very interesting, and I can see the validity of both positions. Nevertheless, I'd just like to try to glue up some shockmounts on this rosewood and have them stick. I have cleaned the surfaces with solvents and tried both the E6000 industrial version of GOOP (unknown adhesive, is it polyurethane? whatever it is it failed rather soon after cure) as well as a slow-setting epoxy (better, but still failed). My thinking is that whatever adhesive HM uses, it has to have been available in the 40s and PU or CA glues were not...AFAIK epoxies were. I also note that there seems to be a stained area on the wood that does not come off with any solvent I used to clean (acetone, lacquer thinner, MEK) this doesn't appear to be something caused by offset of the neoprene: it's applied as either a "target" for the glue-up or as a primer...I haven't read any discussion about it. Does HM still apply a dark patch of something to the wood when they make a repair? How about Hume Modern? I know my friend could just bite the bullet and ship his pieces to Venice, New Jersey or Michigan, but that's something he doesn't want to do and I'm determined to try to do the best "local" glue job that can be done. Any further reports of success or failure with the Loctite E-60HP? Bostick 7522 Epoxy? or the 3M 5200 Marine PU adhesive?
Thanks!

From Lloyd Fadem, 8/19/2008  11:00 PM

after reading the war of words between Alfi Hume and Peter Triestman since January 1.   I am really appalled cause I respect both of these fine craftsmen,
Alfi Hume has sent me many customers and I have recommended him many times for people to fix the Eames/Herman miller 670   lounge chairs,
I have sent Peter Triestman tons of customers who what either   a   womb chair Tulip chair or Egg Chair all three    we have   done in our   shop in Tulsa Oklahoma, Retro Redo.com
I try to save all customers unnecessary shipping charges as they   have gotten so expensive,
It can be cost prohibitive for a customer to ship a chair from NYC to our shop in Tulsa Okla when they   can    deliver to Tristmans shop in NYC,
I do not even make a attempt to or act like i want to fix a   lounge chair.
I always recommend    Alfi Hume to all customers on the west coast and   customers on the east coast i tell them to call Peter.
I am not hung up on fighting for business, i have more than i need , i   will say we are the leading, upholster of the Eames shell chairs doing over 500 so if any one wants to use Alfi or Peter please feel free to,   I will not be mad or trash there work,   most of my customers ask me to please replace the rubber mounts on the fiberglass chairs with screw ins cause they   do not want to take a chance of them drying out,   
I have had only one request from a   purest from   Boston that asked me to preserve the integrity of    his shell chair and use old shock mounts so the chair would be original,    to each his own these are   shell chairs,   thousands around, and not that valuable, but if one wants to preserve it, good for him,
In closing i do not   like to go out of what we do   great   we  &nb sp;redo tons of   Herman miller pads from all over the USA   for $1000.00 plus $225 for Italian leather, never have had one complaint,
and our biggest   business is done in the Shell chairs, 250.00 for a total redo including the vinyl foam and crimp cord and if you want fabric    we have fabric from maharam   that we offer at   cost , no mark up,
If   any one can do it that cheap and with the   quality   please free to use them,   all you have to do   is hit   www.retro redo.com or Lloyd Fadem on google ,   and see all our satisfied    customers on apt therapy from San Francisco and New York City,   

From HumeModern, 8/7/2008  9:06 PM

EAMES FIBERGLASS ARM SHELL RESTORATION

After removing old fabric and foam the glass fiber shell is pressure washed.
Old shock mounts are removed if required.
Out side of shell is polished.
New HumeModern neoprene shock mounts are attached.
High density foam is installed and trimmed to inside of shell.
Approx. 1.75yds of fabric is required per shell.
Smooth crimp cord is installed to outside circumference of shell.
Finally your base is installed.
Depending on your choice of fabric or leather most arm shell restorations cost approx $325 and that is including new shock mounts.

Be aware that if your shell has been exposed to the elements this can cause the fiberglass to lift.
We can solve this problem by applying a flash spray of gel coat before installing shock mounts & upholstery.

If shipping your shell to Venice CA is not practical you can contact Retro Redo in Tulsa OK as they also do outstanding Eames shell re-upholstery.
If you have any question please don't hesitate in dropping us a line.
www.humemodern.com

From Olek Lejbzon & Co., 8/4/2008  12:51 AM

Please send photos of the chairs to olejbzon@optimum.net, and we will quote you the re-upholstery cost for labor and supplies, material cost not included until we know what you want.

From alan Murdock, 8/3/2008  2:26 PM

Where can Herman Miller Fiberglass arm chairs be re-upholstered in leather plastic or vinyl?

From Alan Murdock, 8/3/2008  2:19 PM

Where can I get Eaames fiberglass arm chairs recovrered in plastic or leather?

From Bruce Ream, 5/22/2008  1:40 PM

Like many of you I have a 1962 Eames Lounge Chair that had problems with the zipper fabric being torn and unrepairable by any local repair shops. After searching the internet I found Alfie at Hume Modern (humemodern.com) and sent all the cushions to him in California. I just got them bach an they look like new. These cushions had the orginal down stuffing which he replaced. I highly recommend him to all of you looking to restore your chairs.

From HumeModern, 5/13/2008  2:06 PM

Eames Lounge Chair Design Flaw
If you purchased a car in the 50's and drove it for 50 years then had a tire b--w out does that mean that the car has a design flaw?
If your Eames Lounge is used every day for 50 years and finally the shock mounts dry out and pull away from the plywood is that a design flaw?
No its called maintenance.
Our service includes the removal and then installation of new shockmounts using our formulated bonding system.
This repair retains the flexibility, integrity, strength and value of your treasured Eames Lounge Chair.
We can also perform the same service for the Eames DCM, DCW and Fiberglass chair series.
Over the last decade HumeModern has performed thousands of shock mount installations for customers all over the country and a few from abroad all of which are still going strong today.
For inquiries and estimates visit
www.humemodern.com

From Richard Moose, 5/12/2008  12:59 PM

I am interested in references from anyone who may have had their Eames chair repaired by the Olek Lejbzon organization.
Thanks,

From iyun, 5/12/2008  12:21 AM

I also have a Eames lounge chair to be repaired just like tens of thousand people in the world...
Although I respect the purist approach of HumeModern, I can't agree more with Peter at Olek Lejbzon about Eames lounge chair's design flaw...
Their method seems to be the better way to repair the problem.
What good is a chair when no one can sit???
Rubber and plywood are not meant to be glued and to support weight in that position, period.

From Sally Patrick, 4/18/2008  9:37 PM

I live in the Boston area and would like to buy an Eames Lounge Chair for my 84 year old mother who is convinced it will be comfortable for her back. Does anyone know where I should shop? I would consider a used chair too - perhaps that is the way to go?

From Chris Cull, 4/10/2008  2:02 AM

The two chairs I've fixed with PC-7 epoxy are still holding. Haven't gotten to the third yet. The PC-7 shear strength is actually ~2190 PSI. I was mistaken in my last post. I talked to the laboratory chemist a couple of days ago and got that set straight.

To Landon S Johnson: You say that your Dad's chair broke twice after being repaired with PC-7. I was trying to figure out why this happened. Did he use new shock mounts and take the chair down to wood, and clean both surfaces before he used the adhesive? Or did he just try to repair the existing shockmount. If the latter, I would suspect that to fail because mating surfaces have to be clean. But if he used new shockmounts and PC7, I would have expected that to work.

Does anybody have any comments on what they suspect Herman Miller uses as adhesive on these shockmounts. Some say "PC7" and I've used it. Seems good enough, but I don't have much input on its effectiveness myself. Only been a relatively short time since I've repaired a couple chairs. Someone at HM told me "If I were you, I'd try a 3M product"... the hint I take from this, of course, is that HM uses some industrial 3M adhesive. I'm still trying to find out exactly what they use. Any ideas???

From Patrick Savage, 4/7/2008  9:59 AM

Need either major repair of leather on bottom seat cushion (torn leather)or replacement of cushion for ORIGINAL Herman Miller Eames chair. Thanks.

From PUTNAM BREED, 4/3/2008  12:10 PM

MY WIFE WILL NEVER FORGET, OR STOP LAUGHING ABOUT,THE MOMENT WHEN THE FAVORITE CHAIR LET GO AS I WAS WORKING ON MY LAPTOP COMPUTER-WHAT A LOUD CRASH FOR A SHORT DROP!THE MANY COMMENTS ON THIS SITE ARE FUN AND I HOPE USEFUL. I WILL TRY THE LOCTITE EPOXY SUGGESTED-WISH ME LUCK.PUTNAMBREED@YAHOO.COM IN HAMPTON FALLS,NH

From george, 3/11/2008  8:47 PM

HI! THE "EAMES LOUNGE CHAIR REPAIR" is SUPER EASY to fix.Im based in the southern california area. Email me. I have been doing furniture service work for 13 years. Specializing in repair and touch-up. I work for HM, KNOLL, VITRA, FRITZ HANSEN, USMHaller, etc.... I will repair your chair for $150-$250. g3azze@yahoo.com

From ANALUISA rOJAS, 3/7/2008  10:32 PM

I leave in CaracasVenezuela, they have repaired my Eames Chair but did notl last, morethan three months, I want to buy the parts and the glue for having the chair repair, pleasecontact me and let me knowi if you are able to send the parts to Miami FLA. and I will pickthem there. Thank you

From analuisa rojas, 3/7/2008  9:38 PM

I need some parts for repair my Eames Lounge chair, I want to contact you

to see how can you send me the parts I need to repair my chair.

Thank you

From humemodern, 2/9/2008  5:04 PM

Landon
If you send us just the panel that needs to be repaired our labor charge is $132 per panel plus $89.40 for new Eames shock mounts.
Go to our web site and fill out our on line Estimate Request form.
www.humemodern.com
Before you decide to auction your Dads chair just remember that you will probably never be able to replace it for the same money.
If this is not the right moment in time to undertake the repair i would suggest that you take the chair apart completely and store it in a safe place.
(Be sure to label all the parts).
In years to come you will be glad that you are the owner of an original Eames Lounge and Ottoman even if its broken.
By then our prices probably will have increased but we will still be more than happy to repair the chair for you.
Good luck
Alfie
www.humemodern.com

From Landon S Johnson, 2/8/2008  10:36 PM

I just inherited the Eames chair that my mom and dad bought around 1964-65. My dad has repaired it on a couple of occasions with PC-7 (?) but recently it broke for the last time. He said 'come get it or I;m going to toss it". So here it sits.

He has not drilled any holes in the chair but the glue is a mess. The wood and metal parts are in really good shape; the leather coverings - well, that's another story altogether.

I see that others have shared the same -ate as this one, and that there are means of repairing these.

I need to decide if I want to keep the chair and have it redone, or if I should sell it and pocket the cash as the chair really has no sentimental value. Would I be better off paying to have it repaired and then selling it or sell it as-is? Part it out? Make fruit trays out of the wood? :)

What could I expect to receive for the chair if I were to sell it as-is (ballpark range?)

Where would I put it up for sale other than the Bay?

Thanks for answering all these questions. I'd hate to end up throwing it out on the burnpile :(

Landon Johnson
nutbox101@comcast.net

From Humemodern, 2/6/2008  10:53 PM

Joe
We have a large selection of used rosewood, walnut & cherry Eames Lounge chair panels and parts.
But before purchasing a replacement are you sure that your one can't be repaired?
Often or not we can pre-form and install a complete 9 layer internal maple plywood core retaining your original veneer.
We would then install new shock mounts using our formulated bonding system.
At the end of the day your chair will visually look the same wilst retaining its integrity strength and value.
Feel f--e to visit our web site and fill out our online Estimate Request form, it would be a good idea to attach a couple of pictures of the damage panel at that time.
Alfie
www.humemodern.com

From joe far, 2/4/2008  4:54 PM

I have a eames lounge chair from 1972, the lower back wood shell snapped clean off just below the rubber hinge because the other side the hinge failed and could not handle the load. If anyone is parting out their chair would like the chance to make on offer on that part. thanks!
joe far
oopu@hawaii.rr.com

From Olek Lejbzon & Co., 1/27/2008  11:18 AM

Jewell G.
Please email photos of the chair and the base mechanism, and we will respond on how we can help.

Peter Triestman
lejbzon@verizon.net
973-615-1257

From Jewell G., 1/26/2008  8:58 PM

I have the same problem as Anne. I have a few Selig lounge chairs and 1 tips easily side to side. When comparing the underside to the other ones, there is a white plastic ring around the pole, sorta like a washer, that is missing and not keeping it level. Any suggestions on where I can get that part and have it fixed? I'm in LA. Thanks in advance for any help.

From Olek Lejbzon & Co., 1/14/2008  2:33 PM

Landon,
Please email the photos to our address. We can repair whatever ails your Eames Lounge Chair and ottoman, so it can be used normally, without fear of breakage. The chair has significant value, even as parts.

Peter Triestman

Olek Lejbzon & Co.
58 Gould Ave.
Newark, NJ 07107
973-615-1257 M

From Landon S Johnson, 1/13/2008  9:13 PM

My parents bought an Eames lounge w/ottoman in 1964.

My dad still has it; he has repaired it twice with adhesive - tonight it failed him again, for the last time.

It is now reduced to a pile of rubble in his place; he says "come get it or I'm gonna toss it"

It also has cushion problems, and last time I visited him I glimpsed the unmistakeable greyness of duct tape on one of the arms.

Better to repair it, sell off some of the good parts (wood is fine) or off to the dumpster?

I live in PA. I will be going down there soon and will take some pics of the chair and where the adhesive is no doubt smeared all over everything. Can I email them to someone for a ballpark figure?

Landon Johnson

From Peter Triestman, 1/12/2008  1:42 PM

Dear Alfie Hume,
At no time have we ever mislead anyone about our repair techniques or methods, and resent your sleazy implications. We offer our clients the original shock mounts if they want, with original defective design and inadequate Herman Miller warranty. And we offer the Olek proprietary shock mount, designed and built to last and be durable, with superior 15 year warranty. No client of ours has ever been mislead. Obviously your clients are not so fortunate.

I guess if you had been in business as long as we have and been trained as a craftsman rather than stumbling into an accidental occupation, you might feel some responsibility to your clients and offer them a superior solution that would last, that could be warranteed 15 years, rather than a pitiful 1 year like you offer. We do business with generations of clients' families, and don't prefer to ruin our reputation repairing something in the original manner, if we know that the original design is defective, and not going to last for many decades as it should. Our clients expect more from us.

I guess there is a difference in ethics, with Hume being satisfied in offering a defective original, and getting paid to re-do the work regularly, and Olek's ethics where we offer the best, improved design for our clients, and are satisfied to be paid to do the best job once.

Sincerely,
Peter Triestman,
Olek Lejbzon & Co.
www.oleklejbzon.com
973-615-1257

From humeModern, 1/11/2008  7:39 PM

Olek Lejbzon & Co.
You might have been restoring furniture longer than us.
As far as antique furniture is concerned we have no interest in it.
We specialize completely in mid-century.
We use the same or superior materials, parts and techniques that were and still are used today by the original manufacturers.
Would you let a company mislead prospective clients after you read on the internet:
SHOCK MOUNT REPLACEMENTS - A BETTER WAY (please scroll up)
Or would you respond to the posting with the true and proven repair procedure.
At no time have we slandered your company's work we just disagree with the way you perform shock mount replacements on Eames Lounge chairs.
If you post a question on line don't you want to get a response?
If you don't want a response then you should place an advertisement.
www.HumeModern.com

From Bill Hesse, 1/11/2008  12:09 AM

I have old Herman Miller fiberglass armchairs with the H frame, and I need to ship them. Does the H frame come off the pucks and screw back on, or is it a bad idea to mess with it?

Also, how about replacement feet for the end of the legs?
Should I call HM?

From Olek Lejbzon & Co., 1/6/2008  12:27 AM

Dear Alfie,

What speaks volumes is that you:
1) deliberately mislead and fabricate stories about our work to prospective clients and web readers, that

2)your warranty is 1/3 of what Herman Miller offers, 1/10 of what we offer, and

3)that you feel compelled to lie on the internet about what we do, and our qualifications. A real craftsman would be above denigrating the work of others.

Olek Lejbzon & Co. is multiples the size of your company, and has been restoring furniture since before you were born, in 1950. While I am impressed to hear that of all your employees, only one, you, have a partial European training. We have more than ten times the number of European craftsmen that your company does, and they were born, educated, trained, apprenticed, and became master craftsmen in Europe. Our volume of restoration work alone is many times the total business you do, aside from our historic preservation business.

We are glad that you have "tonne's" of success in the Golden State. Learn to respect other craftsmen and you will have a better business, and the respect of others.

Sincerely,
Peter Triestman
Olek Lejbzon & Co.
www.oleklejbzon.com
973-615-1257

From HumeModern, 1/2/2008  6:36 PM

Fine European Craftsman?
12 years working for Birdman Furniture in Holland and Great Britain.
10 years specializing in the restoration of vintage modern furniture.
Being recommended directly by Herman Miller, Knoll,The Eames Office and Jules Seltzer.
I think its safe to say that the quality of our work speaks volumes.
All the repairs we do retain the integrity and value of the furniture.
We are a restoration company not a fabrication company.
Fine European Craftsman & Success. There's tonne's of it here.
This is the Golden State after all.
www.humemodern.com

From Olek Lejbzon & Co., 12/31/2007  8:07 PM

Hume Modern,
No Alfie, we are not crazy; Olek Lejbzon & Co. has never had one of our proprietary shock mounts fail, and we have been restoring modern and antique furniture since 1950. How is your record?

We do use a neoprene insert inside the molded beech shockmount to provide flexibility, and resistance to oxidation. Noone could not tell the difference looking at our ebonized and finished shockmount or Herman Millers' neoprene and steel sandwich. Our shock mounts use wood to wood joints, rather than Herman Millers' wood to rubber, a design that has failed the test of time, and was obviously flawed on day one of production more than fifty years ago. Unlike Humemoderns' suggestion that craftsmen use screws penetrating the shell and then artists to touch up the damage, we would never consider such an abomination.

THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HERMAN MILLERS SHOCK MOUNTS AND OLEK'S IS THAT WE WARRANTY OUR SHOCK MOUNTS (INSTALLED BY US) FOR 10 (TEN) YEARS. THAT COMPARES WITH HUMEMODERNS' 1(ONE) YEAR, OR HERMAN MILLERS' 3 1/2 YEARS.

The issue boils down to whether a genuine Herman Miller flawed shock mount is preferable to a better design with superior durability? Our shock mount can be removed, so from a conservation standpoint, is reversible and will not damage the chairs' integrity or value.

Fine European craftsmanship and design is the key to our success. Something that may be in short supply on the West Coast, unfortunately.

Sincerely,
Peter Triestman, Pres.
Olek Lejbzon & Co.
www.oleklejbzon.com
973-615-1257

From HumeModern, 12/31/2007  4:53 PM

Are they Crazy.!!
Please take the time to scroll up a few replies to Olek Lejbzon & Co.
What on earth are they doing and telling people.
Replacing neoprene shock mounts with wooden blocks!!
That would be like replacing the tires on your car with ones made from oak.
How is the chair suppose to flex when you sit down?
We have installed our neoprene shock mounts on Lounge, shell and dining chairs for over a decade now.
The reason why a shock mount fails is because the wrong adhesive has been used.
Our adhesive does not fail.
We install the shock mounts the same way that Herman Miller does.
This means that your chairs value is not affected.
Don't ever let anyone drill the panels on you vintage Eames chair and then have there artist disguise the damage.
Get your furniture repaired the right way the first time.
Contact
www.humemodern.com

From lloyd fadem, 12/16/2007  5:08 PM

to Doug Norman
It is real easy to pull the pads off the shell as they   slid right off
   If a button has fallen through
it is such an easy job for a   shop to do
should be no more than 10 bucks   take the pad off the chair and    let them unzip the cover and they can put it right on back to the plastic.   
I know a lot of these jobs look difficult to do
and if you were in Tulsa and droped them by the shop we could redo them in about 30 minutes, for   alittle nothing .
   so look in your yellow pages and find   someone reputable as these are not big jobs. and don't let any one tell you they are, as we have seen them   all and every job on the   Lounge chairs shell chairs,   and lots of others
The womb chair,and the egg chair are the hardest to recover or fix    cause they have to be   hand sewn and take   a lot   of man hours, ( and it hurts your hands damit)
Now to redo the chair   that is a big job    give us a call any time, or check the website www.retroredo.com

From lloyd fadem, 12/16/2007  4:56 PM

we repaint lots of chairs at my company Retroredo.com
we    always use a sander and   primer and that adheres very nicely to the fibergl-ss shell   then just a high paint grade that you would use to paint your car with,
then the key to make it look professional and home made is use a spray lacquer flat or shiney   on it when dry, It should look   great   but take it to a body shop   as they can do it for around 50   to 60 dollars

From lukas Peet, 12/11/2007  6:36 PM

hello,

i bought a Eames RAR rocking chair, thats shell has been spray painted with epoxy white paint, though it is flaking off in some parts so i think it didnt stick very well, anyway i would like to remove the paint of course and would like to use a paint stripper that wont effect the fibergl-ss. or else i will have alot of fun sanding it off. also once off i was thinking i could re coat it with new resin, as i have heard old fibergl-ss will absorb alot of new resin. there are also 3 small cracks along the top back rest edge that i think/hope will be strengthened by the application of the new resin. then finally i was thinking to get the whole shell sprayed with a automotive quality clear coat, at a professional auto body repair place.

thanks and let me know what you think of my plans. also have pics of the chair and the damages. if you like.

From Chris Cull, 12/1/2007  8:54 PM

This is a reply to Jaime Dorman. I read your fix from last year (concerning the shock mounts) and tried PC-7 myself. Thanks so much for your input there.(I think you said PC-11, though). I tried the stuff from the can. I contacted one of their chemical engineers because the stuff seemed too stiff to me (it was in April that I was using it). He told me to just heat the can up by placing it in a warm environment for awhile, and as long as the temperature was above 60 degrees F, the stuff would work very well for my application (it bonded well to both wod and rubber). He also told me that this product had a shear strength of something like (I think he said) 11,000 PSI... somethings gotta be wrong to wrench two parts together when joined with an adhesion force like that. :) But now that refers to shear force, which should be what we're dealing with on these shock mounts.

I repaired one friend's chair with PC-7 (just one mount and the chair is not used alot) and that has lasted a year and a half. I also repaired another chair (all 4 mounts) last April and that one has held up fairly well with use. Hope it still does as the guy gave me 600 for that and total refurbishment of the wood! :) Anyway, I think you're on the right path. If I were you, I'd call up those engineers at PC-11 and ask why they think that bond failed. The number's on the side of the can. Let me know how you made out with the stanley glue.

The 99 year old friend I fixed the Eames chair for first (I also rethreaded the screw holes in the back braces because they had failed) gave me the old one she had in the garage (she had 4 of the down-filled ones from the 1950's) in exchange for the work I did on her chair. So that ones next on the agenda. So I've got to make a choice in what adhesive to use. My research seems to point out that HM used a Lord Chemical product, but I'm not sure of that (they keep the lid screwed on pretty tight at HM). Unfortunately, the leather is gone too, so I'm having new leather put on in the cream color I want, for about $350 from a local top-notch leather upholsterer. I have to get the mildew out of the down cushions (another chemical engineer gave me a solution to that one). But I'm having trouble finding out just what they used for the backing of the cushions. Research leads me to believe a fiberboard called "fish paper." Anybody got any ideas on this? I'm drawing a blank in online searches. Anyway, I hope all of you have a great Christmas. Thanks for all your helpful dialogue and ideas. Appreciate it!

From anne hoier, 11/25/2007  11:29 PM

I have a Eames Chair from selig. The mechanism that keeps the chair level must be broken as the chair tips easily from one side to another. Also, there are two tilting positions, normal upright and then way, way back. I live in upstate NY. Any Suggestions.

Thanks, Anne

From Paul, 11/21/2007  9:00 PM

Hi:

I need to locate someone to repair original Eames DCW chairs...some of the shock mounts have come off or are dry; plus the wood could be cleaned and refreshed as well. I'm in Virginia, but anyone who does excellent work is needed. Help!

Thanks

From Doug Norman, 11/21/2007  12:07 AM

I've got a comparatively simple problem with my Eames lounge chair. About two years after I bought it new(circa 1999), one of the buttons came loose from the lower cushion. I contacted Herman Miller about this, but I found them surprisingly unconcerned and unhelpful in this matter (looks, too, like it was still under warranty at the time, grrrr ...). I DID manage to glean something from them about removing the cushion from the wood shell, but not enough to tell quite how to do it (I think they MIGHT have told me I could have it repaired locally easier).

Anyway, it's my understanding that these cushions are attached with simple snaps, and that you need only unsnap it from the shell to repair it (I DID also take note of what felt like a zipper around the outer edge, concealed under the wood). My problem is that I've tried prying on this several times, and I can't get it to budge, and I don't want to tear up the chair. I can't find an exploded diagram of the chair anywhere, and I'm not sure what the best technique is for "unsnapping" these cushions from their shells. I think if I could, I could EASILY get someone locally to sew the button back down (I MAY even be able to do so myself, given that the cushion seems to unzip).

Does anyone know of a safe technique for dislodging these rather tenacious snaps?

From Olek Lejbzon & Co., 10/30/2007  8:38 AM

Minke,
We only need the seat shell, lower back shell, and arms. They will fit into a single box about 2' x 2' x 2', and can be sent by Fed Ex Ground (from Kinko's), or UPS, or USPS (most expensive). If you pull the cushions off, these parts unscrew. To determine the cost, please contact us, to discuss the current condition. Sometimes the plywood veneer pulls away too where the shockmounts were glued, and requires repair. If you can email pictures taken with a flash and sent full size (not reduced for emailing), that would be perfect. Send photos to lejbzon@verizon.net

Sincerely,
Peter Triestman
212-243-3363

From minke, 10/29/2007  12:23 AM

Dear Pter - that sounds like an inetersting alternative. What is the cost and who is best to use for shipment to you?
Minke

From Olek Lejbzon & Co., 10/27/2007  5:07 PM

SHOCK MOUNT REPLACEMENTS - A BETTER WAY
Old neoprene shockmounts oxidize, the neoprene rubber becomes stiff and powdery, and are irreparable. They should be replaced.
Concerning the shockmount types, we can use the neoprene/steel threaded plate sandwich design that Herman Miller uses, but our opinion is that that design is the biggest flaw we have ever seen in modern furniture, and should not be repeated, though Herman Miller seems to have learned from G.M. and profits from planned obsolescence/failure. Their new lounge chairs carry a 3 yr. warranty, all other furniture a 15 yr. warranty. There is no mystery as to what they are telling us.

A superior, proprietary design is to use ebonized solid beech wood plates with the same radiused shapes (in three dimensions) as the neoprene originals, with holes drilled into the beech plates, into which T-nuts are inserted, with neoprene bushing around the T-nuts, to provide the shock mount flexibility, without its fallibility. The glue joint between beech and the plywood is trouble f--e for many more decades than Herman Miller's design. We have repaired many Eames lounge chairs over the past fif(deleted) years with our original shock mount design, and have not had any failures. You cannot tell the difference by looking or feeling the improved mounts, they are finished by our artists to match the original neoprene.

You can send the lower back shell and the seat shell to us disassembled in a box, and we will repair and ship disassembled, for you to reassemble (simple screws).
We will repair and turn around the order in less than four weeks.

Sincerely,
Peter Triestman
Olek Lejbzon & Co.
www.oleklejbzon.com
212-243-3363

From Olek Lejbzon & Co., 10/27/2007  4:52 PM

The chair shells were veneered with walnut, rosewood, or teak.
Peter Triestman
www.oleklejbzon.com

From Gemma, 10/22/2007  2:18 PM

I have just bought a Herman Miller Eames chair and ottoman dated 1980. Does anyone know how I can find out which wood veneers were used at that time? - thanks.

From minke, 10/20/2007  3:54 PM

I just inherited a lounge chair & ottoman which I thought were authentic. Just read an email above that the original chair does not tilt back. Is this true that only imitation lounge chair tilt? How to tell? Actually my question was, and still is, will someone please tell me how to revitalize the leather? It is slightly craized (sp?) but not ripped or deeply cracked. However there are some nicks on the rolled edging and here & there. Is it OK to use leather dye for those small spots? What product is best to soften and treat leather? Someone gave me "Moses T's leather restorer" but it smells like the devil even tho it claims to contain no petroleum or distillates. Any advice would be appreciated - thanks.

From jaime dorman, 10/8/2007  8:13 PM

Reply to posting by William Carpenter.
You stated you were repairing Eames Lounge chair with 325 on all three pieces and wondering what year. I own a Brazilian Rosewood Eames Lounge Chair with 305 on all three pieces. I purchased the chair in June of 1975 in Salt Lake City, UT.

From Jaime Dorman, 10/8/2007  8:02 PM

Previously I had posted a method for repairing an Eames Louge Chair using PC-11 2 part epoxy marine adhesive. I've had mixed results since. Two joints are doing just fine after about 2 years. The third however failed after 1 year (pc-11 from tube) and then again after another year using the PC-11 that comes in a can.
I probably didn't help as I determined that as I cleaned the rubber pad with a 80 grit air operated sanding disk, I sanded more on the ends than in the middle thus putting a curve on the glued side of the pad. This past weekend I utilized a new adhesive Loctite E-60HP which they list as being excellent for both rubber and wood. I purchased on-line from www.stanleysupplyservices.com Anyway, first I sanded the pad on a course disk sander to get it back to flat cleaned everything with lacque thinner, The other realization is that as I had decreased the thickness of the rubber pad, such that when the flat head screws were installed they could go all the way thru the pads and force the pad/glue/wood joint to seperate shorten as needed. One of my other tricks was to put a small piece of tape over the glue side of the holes in the rubber pad to keep the glue out of the holes where the screws would go. As before, I used 3M green masking tape to mark the area where the pad will reside glue. This glue has a working time of 60 minutes, so no need to hurry. I just used some simple spring clamps for 12 hours, then let it set another 12 hours. I will be assembling to chair tonight.

From Jaime Dorman, 10/8/2007  7:37 PM

The Loctite that I recommended for Eames Lounge Chair Pad to Wood Repair is:
Loctite E-60HP part number 29319.
I purchased online a 50ml tube from Stanley Supply for $12.20 plus shipping.
Http://www.stanleysupplyservices.com

From sahba laal, 8/17/2007  3:37 AM

I just realized that I had the authors of the messages wrong. I should have asked Jack Mormon and Jaime Dorman respectively.
Sorry about the error!

From sahba laal, 8/17/2007  3:29 AM

What a great site!
I got an old hand-me-down Eames lounge chair and ottoman which had the R arm plywood extension broken and the shock mount on the seat detached. I did not use a number of recommended repairs due to cost and eclectic procedures.
I was informed by HM that they have altered the design of this attachment slightly and therefore the redesigned back does NOT fit the vintage models (mine is a 1970's model?).
It seemed that I was out of luck till last week when I found an older version of my chair in a reuse center. It is in a bad shape where the cushions are torn, the L shock mount is detached and all the parts are disassembled but are there. It is a rosewood plywood where my first one is an oak. It did have the middle back section intact. So I bought it for $250.00 after acquiring my wife's reluctant permission!I am going to use the good part of the rosewood to fix the oak.
I would like to use either E6000 adhesive recommended by Joseph Ponce or PC-11, 2 part epoxy marine adhesive recommended by Dylon Davis. Is either of these two gentlemen read this message I would like to know how their respective chairs are doing?
Or if there are any other recommendations.
Also if anyone is interesdted in any of the parts that I have.
Sahba Laal

From scott s, 7/28/2007  7:04 PM

I am interested in buying a beautiful original Eames chair proced arounf 3200. The owner had the leather cushions beautifully restored with new fill, etc. DOes the restoration decrease the value? It looks amazing and like a new chair.

From Heather Ive, 7/3/2007  7:55 PM

I just had my Eames chair repaired, after a really bad split in the wooden back. Hume Modern in Venice CA (www.humemodern.com) did an amazing job. The mend is invisible. I also asked them to refinish all the wood and it's come out looking brand new and perfect. I defninitely recommend them!

From jacqui, 6/20/2007  2:46 AM

the same thing happened to me -- the back of my eames chair just snapped off. any artisan that does this repair in northern california/east bay area/ san francisco? thanks hoping not to send to LA or further...

From Wans, 6/18/2007  5:05 PM

Hi, this may seem a weird question, but how many minutes/seconds do you think it would take an experienced professional to reassemble the chair (without the ottoman) from its completely dissassembled parts ?

I would need an exact answer to enter a drawing for a new Lounge Chair !

From Terry, 6/6/2007  5:52 PM

Does anyone have an address for stockmount repair in Paris? The chair and I both live there.
thanks, terry

From Col. John B. Devoe, 6/3/2007  9:36 PM

I have just discovered this site...read every post albeit my specific problem has nor been addressed.

Here 'tis:

My late wife and I bought six Eames dining chairs...walnut...and one lounge(? all wood, ash) back in 1953-4. I have read much about glues here, which would be best for re-adhering the rubber mounts to the back of the chair. They have come loose quite cleanly taking but a very little wood with them. The chairs are otherwise in excellent condition.

Help needed by an ancient aviator in NH!

From Betsy, 6/1/2007  3:48 PM

Just saw the question above re cleaning the fiberglass chairs. I got great results using the stuff that cleans glass cooktops = Whink Glass/Ceramic Cook-top Cleaner. I used it on Eames shell chairs made in the 50's and 60's. Slick it on and let it set for a while. You won't have to rub hard; use a moistened soft cloth or paper towel.

From Betsy, 6/1/2007  3:40 PM

Thanks to someone's posting the Herman Miller 800 number here, I called them re the part I need. Spoke with a very nice woman who is sending it to me. It is a bit expensive, but that's the price of Art. Either you love Mid-Century Modern or you don't even know what it is...right? Can someone post the address/phone/email of Eames repair place(s) in the New York Metropolitan area?

From mary kawecki, 5/27/2007  1:58 PM

Just bought a bunch of the fiberglass chairs. They are in desperate need of cleaning. What's the best thing to use to get basic dirt and grime off. Thanx.

From Peter Triestman, 5/12/2007  9:53 PM

Marc,
See our 5/4/07 post, we repair virtually anything wrong with a Herman Miller Eames Lounge Chair. The chair parts can be disassembled and mailed to us in Newark, NJ. We repair problems with the wood shells, shockmounts, reupholstery, swivel chair issues with the metal mechanism, etc. Please send us photos of the chair and details of the problem and we will respond promptly. email address: lejbzon@verizon.net

From Lloyd Fadem, 5/12/2007  7:42 PM

Marc the only guy in your neck of the woods is
Alfi Hume     Hume modern

From Marc, 5/6/2007  9:07 PM

Anyone know who will repair an early 60's eames lounge chair in Los Angeles ?

thanks.
Marc

From Peter S. Triestman, 5/4/2007  1:21 AM

OOPS!
Olek Lejbzon & Co. again - our website is www.oleklejbzon.com, to see a portfolio of our work. We will be putting up photos of our Eames repairs on the web soon.

From Peter S. Triestman, 5/4/2007  1:19 AM

TIRED OF THE RUN-AROUND FROM HERMAN MILLER?
Olek Lejbzon & Co. has been repairing Eames Lounge Chairs for as long as Herman Miller has been making them, we have been in business since 1950. We fix what Herman Miller won't! Needless to say, the Lounge Chairs have prominent design flaws, most commonly the shockmounts oxidizing and the back falling off the arms, and secondly the plywood "ears" splitting internally and breaking off the lower back shell. We have templates for relaminating the broken ears, and rebuild the bent plywood, layer by layer, offsetting the inlays to preserve maximum strength. When we repair a chair, you won't be sitting on eggshells. We repair other common problems too, and reupholster the chairs in leather similar to original.

We stand behind our work, and make the repairs economically. Call us with your needs, email photos of the problem areas to lejbzon@verizon.net and we will help you promptly. You can disassemble the chair and mail it to us from any place, we will repair it efficiently and effectively, and send it back. Telephone 973-482-8120.

From Humemodern, 5/2/2007  6:25 PM

**HELLO EAMES OWNERS**Every so often i visit this site and i'm always amazed by how many people still try to repair their vintage Eames Lounge chairs with homemade or cheap components.
Every week we are contacted by Eames owners who have either had their chairs repaired by a local woodman or who have purchased knock off parts from e-bay only to find that the furniture re-breaks usually causing more extensive damage.
At the end of the day you get what you pay for.
At the moment used vintage Lounge chairs are selling for around $3000-$4000.Keeping them as close to original and repairing them correctly only means that they will retain their value for the future.
Over the last decade we have repaired and restored thousands of Eames chairs.
All our repairs come with a 1 year parts & labor warranty, using either original Herman Miller parts or exact replicas.
For further info you should visit our web site .humemodern.com
Or call the workshop at #310 314 6936

From Ed Brodsky, 4/19/2007  3:37 PM

Help, help. After 40 years my Eames chair back has separated from the seat. Does any one know where in the New York/ New Jersey area I can get it repaired.Thanks for any advice you can give me.

From Jennifer, 4/18/2007  2:24 PM

Thank you SO much, to "D.M. Gold" for posting the location where you were able to get your chair repaired. I have an original Eames Chair that was my father's. I have fond memories of sitting in that chair, headphones on, listening to records, and I will never part with it. Anyways, about 8 years ago the left arm started to sag, and the back appeared to sag. I'm going to give Mr. Self a call, to see if he can repair mine. Thanks Again!

From Lloyd Fadem, 4/3/2007  6:22 PM

to answer Gulliver
The chair has four strips of nasty glue that will not come off with any solvants you have to grind it down   
and then it is ugly,We strip off the old covers on a daily routine and they all look the same,   that is why we recover them we have tried every thing to see if we can reuse them with out   putting on a new fabric but the answer is no .   sorry    

From Lloyd Fadem, 4/3/2007  6:15 PM

I just found this site I own Retro Redo and we redo the leather pads for the 670 and 671 Miller chairs plus the selig, and ply craft chairs,
After 40 years they get dry and crack, We replace the pads and clean the down feathers    and rewrap them , never getting rid of the original down feathers, We charge 1000.00 for   a set of new pads including the ottoman. for the selig and plycraft we charge 650 since they do not require zippers and take 1/2 the time , We ask that you supply the lether as we charge cost on that and you can find them cheaper on ebay. for a 100.00 for a 54 inch hide . We buys ours from vendors
and for some reason they sell for 180 to 220.00
Now if your chair breaks it is 95 percent cause of the dry pucks . alfi Hume can sell you a new set of pucks you must have the old ones removed and the spot clean as it will not bond , you can use   a epoxy that you can buy at Ace hardwear and for some reason that is the only one that works .
It must cure for a least   a week before you can sit on it, Hate to say it I have done this and am alwyas waiting for it to pull a part but so far it has not . If you arn not feeling   as lucky
call Alfi Hume he can help.    Check us out at www.retro redo.com or call us at 918 712 8282.

From Gulliver, 3/31/2007  10:50 AM

What happens if you rip the upholstery off an Eames fiberglass chair? What is underneath? Can it be refinished?

From Alan Gruber, 3/25/2007  10:04 AM

We had a great deal of difficulty finding someone who could repair our Eames chair in the Boston area when the back separated from the seat. We finally located Terry Letton in Rockland, MA. 508-965-3434. Great job. Had to use a special marine glue and it took about a week to dry. Cost us less than $100.

From D. M. Gold, 3/8/2007  9:53 AM

I have just had my Eames Chair repaired by Self Furniture 516 E Northwest Hwy, Mount Prospect, IL , Tel: (847) 394-0899 at a fraction of the price demanded by Heman Miller, who obviously use the repair of the design weaknesses in the chair as a cash cow. Mr. Self is an old furniture repair spe-t who has been in business for over 30 years.

From chris k, 2/16/2007  5:13 PM

I have a bunch of shock mounts for the Eames Fiberglass chairs. I had them made by a professional machining shop to the original specs. I've been selling them on ebay, but willing to sell them direct. if you want to see my auctions, search for eames shock mounts. You can also email me direct at chris@candcprojects.com. $40 for a set of 4

From p. tobin, 2/15/2007  4:18 PM

Where to get rubber part to repair original birch contour eames chair..thx

From Guest, 2/14/2007  5:55 PM

i keep reading about your eames chair tilting back or not being able to keep it from tilting. an eames chair by herman miller does not tilt. only the knockoffs tilt

From tom, 2/14/2007  5:51 PM

my eames chair and ottoman were a gift from my parents in 1977. the arm shockmount broke off and a local office furniture company sent it to herman miller for repairs. they replaced both arm shockmounts. it seems to me that the cost was $300 plus $100 shipping r/t. i thought that reasonable, especiallly seeing that herman miller wants $1900 to replace all the cushions of the chair and ottoman. does anyone have a source for a lower price replacement?

From robb, 2/11/2007  10:44 PM

i was wondering if anyone could recomend a super strong wood epoxy for repairing a crack on the laminated wood chair base. i had a my parents eames chair sent to me via UPS and unfortunitily it arrived with a crack in the first 2 ply's of wood on under the left arm. i plan on removing the arm applying glue and then clamping it. had anyone out there ever made this repair?

thanks

robb

From ruth, 2/6/2007  4:00 AM

I don't know about the quality of work, but I must say that hume modern has among the rudest representatives I've ever dealt with. I spoke specifically with Alfie quite a while ago and decided not to give them my business.

From Guest, 1/31/2007  11:28 PM

I need 16 black rubber shock mount with threaded insert intended for four vintage Eames fiberglass arm chairs. I am not willing to pay the price that Hume Modern in California ($30/2) wants for them. I only paid $200 for all four chairs and they are not in great condition. I just want to make them usable without a huge cost. I am in Los Angeles. Please let me know if anyone has these parts or an idea of an alternative source to find them. Thanks.

From waltergerald, 1/24/2007  2:18 PM

I have some Eames Chair spare parts for sale at reasonable prices

From david boswell, 12/31/2006  6:59 PM

did anyone find out about repairing/replacing eames' chairs/parts???

From Mike, 12/27/2006  10:59 PM

Does anyone know of a shop around WASHINGTON, DC, that repairs Eames kitchen chairs (padded seats and backs)?

From robert palmbos, 12/19/2006  9:40 AM

I have a set of[4] charles eames molded birch chairs by herman miller. I need info on rubber parts and glue to repair two of the chairs. Please help with info on where I can get the right materials..thanks

From Alfie, 12/6/2006  9:04 PM

Looks like all you lot need to contact us.
humemodern

From Piers, 12/2/2006  6:29 AM

I am also looking for a back cross strut for an Eames aluminium group chair - any suggestions?

From mike watson, 11/26/2006  6:28 AM

hello i have an eames office chair soft pad in cloth not leather and the back cross strut is broken can i get spares many thanks

From WilliamCarpenter, 11/13/2006  3:53 PM

I am now in the process of repairing a 1978 Eames Lounge chair for a local Architect. All of the three wooden elements are numbered.(325) Would this number reflect it's place in the months/years production run?
One part of the repair is the reattaching of a stockmount. I have sanded the mating surfaces and used a one part adheasive designed for bonding dissimilar materials.
Three spring clamps hold it in place now and tomorrow we'll see how it holds.
Please forward comments or questions.
Bill

From Larry Furst, 10/2/2006  4:46 PM

I have a rosewood Eames chair & ottoman I bought in 1975 from Herman Miller in Houston. The right arm detached from the seat. Does anyone know a repair shop in Houston? Should I buy the hinge from Herman Miller & take the chair & part to the repair shop? If so, I plan to buy 2 & have both arms repaired to avoid a future problem with the left arm which is still good. Please reply to larryfurst@yahoo.com, thanks!

From doc, 9/14/2006  10:28 PM

Hello, I believe I have an Eames Rosewood Lounge Chair and Ottoman, both in very good condition. But I am not absolutely sure if it is an actual Eames creation and have not found a date of manufacture or any label anywhere. Without a label or a trip to an appraiser, is it possible to confirm the pedigree of a suspect piece? So...

Please, in plain English, what is the absolute foolproof method to determine the authenticity of the combo? EG: how is the headrest attached on the Eames originals?... or where can I find the casting date of the stainless base parts on the originals, if they exist at all? Thanks very much...ppdd, Doc

From Lynn Osborn, 9/10/2006  8:56 PM

I also have Eames Lounge and Ottoman. Left with us awhile back, and I believe it must be from 50s (?). Has "9062" as a number on the "do not remove label." Is this number signigicant? Structurally it is fine. Leather is cracked, and torn in places. Some fittings that attach seat and ottoman to molded plywood frame are missing (buttons). Any suggestions on place in Boston area to deal with, should I send to Herman Miller to get replacements? Except for the leather and a tiny piece of missing veneer, the chair looks like it has not had alot of wear and ther. Thanks

From Gloria Rickel, 9/7/2006  7:28 PM

I also have an Eames Lounge and Ottoman, black leather. We purchased it in the late 1960's or early 1970's. For us this is decision time; either sell it, or have it repaired and take to our retirement home. Needs leather work, a few screws are loose, and it seems to tilt back more than it should. We live in Northern Virginia. I would be most grateful if anyone could suggest a nearby source for repairs. Thanks.

From roger vilsack, 9/7/2006  9:24 AM

I have the eames lounge chair and ottoman. The leather is cracked and needs to be replaced. Also, the mount where the seat meets the pedestal is very loose.
Anybody have any ideas?

From Diana, 9/3/2006  1:15 PM

I just found Herman Miller Fiberglass shell chairs with metal H-frame base. They are in good condition but I'd like to do the following:
- clean base and chairs (minor scratches to shell, rust on base
- repair minor scratches and/or chips
- paint the chairs (currently have gold original color). Might consider not      painting them based on feedback recieved.

I'm hoping someone or a few of you will respond with detailed instructions on how I should under-go this project.
Any resource you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
I need names of products to use (have read DayGlo for waxing fiberglass). What can I use to clean the base and take out the rust?
Any recommendations of what I should be checking as far as maintance for the chairs while I'm working on the chairs.

Thank you in advance
Please email me directly if this starts getting too long.
diana_jerman@yahoo.com

From Al Marshall, 8/26/2006  7:03 PM

I have an origeonal Eames recliner that needs refinishing/refurbishing here in brooklyn, NY. Does anyone know who does this kind of work in my area? Please email me. al@thepleatherdome.com

From Hayley, 8/25/2006  10:51 AM

I have a 1975 Rosewood Eames Lounge chair where the back totally snapped in half from from the seat. The back of the chair is destroyed. I am wondering if anybody knows where I may be able to get a rosewood replacement back. Is there a parts dealer?

corwick@gmail.com

From PETER B.Hammond, 8/20/2006  9:08 PM

HOLA EVERYBODY! I'M HERE IN LOS ANGELES. I HAVE A 70S EAMES LOUNGE CHAIR AND OTTOMAN. THE LEFT ARM APPEARS TO HAVE COME UNGLUED. MY HANDMAN TRIED WITHOUT SUCCESS TO RE-GLUE IT. I'M THINKIING OF TRYING EITHER HERMAN MILLER OR THIS HUME MODERN OUTFIT. HAS ANYONE OUT THERE HAD GOOD RESULTS WITH EITHER OF THESE OUTFITS AND/OR WITH A REPUTABLE COMPANY HERE IN L.A.? I WOULD APPRECIATE SOME GUIDANCE. THANKS IN ADVANCE! PETER

From ruth rae, 8/20/2006  12:53 PM

Sean can you please email about eames lounge reapir, I live in So Cal.
Thanks, Ruth.

ruthrae@aol.com

From Ben, 8/17/2006  3:36 PM

I have two fiberglass shell chairs that have come apart from their H-frame bases. In one case, the black rubber pads are still on the bottom of the chair, but the metal frame has detached from the pads. The rubber pad has rotted away so screwing in a new mechanical fastener won't solve the problem. On the other chair, the pads are still attached to the metal frame, but have come apart from the bottom of the chair. In both cases, I have tried in vain to use strong adhesives to connect the frame to the pads and/or the frame and pads to the chair. A temporary solution, but a few weeks after the fix, the chairs crack apart again. Any suggestions on a powerful, long-lasting adhesive to use? Thanks!

From Sean, 8/13/2006  1:27 PM

Reply to will.
Try Easy off oven cleaner to remove the paint from fiberglass shells. This may sound funny, however many people, including myself have used it on vintage boats that have been painted over. It safely removed the paint and did not harm the gelcoat or fiberglass.
Make sure you wear eye protection and chemical gloves!
This stuff will burn your skin off.

From Sean, 8/13/2006  1:22 PM

I have repaired many chairs including complete rebuild of an Eames lounge. You have to understand how the damage occured, and how the chair is constructed before it can be repaired, this is why you see so many previously failed attemps at repair...preperation is everything, time consuming yes, however worth it in the end.
Feel free to contact me for a reasonable quote on all wood chairs.
Note: I do not do any upholstery work.
Located in So. California.

From WILL NEWLAND, 7/31/2006  1:20 PM

I have inherited 4 HM/Eames side shell arm chairs that need restoration. They have been painted with house paint. Can anyone help me with a recommendation for either of the following -a good paintstripper that works safely on fiberglass or a restoration contact in California?

From Marsha, 7/28/2006  11:27 PM

I have three Eames fiberglass arm chairs that have faded from many years of being on my porch. What can I use to bring back the lustre? PS I picked them up when my local library closed a branch and never realized their value until this week. Now, I want them to look their best!!

From adam, 7/24/2006  12:16 AM

Okay everyone, please pay attention for a moment -

The construction of the Eames Lounge Chair (670) is a simple mechanism - rubber shockmounts are glued to the backrest, and to the arm. When the back falls off your chair, it is because the glue, the wood, or the rubber has failed. You generally have three options:

1. reglue it yourself - tricky because you need replacement parts, and differnet glues will provide different results

2. Send it to Herman Miller for a repair. They will do it right - it will be expensive. Call them directly for a quote.

3. Take your chair to a third-party restorer. Most standard antique restorers do not deal in Mid Century. You are dealing with a host of new materials not found in 'traditional' antiques: rubber, fiberglas, plywood. There ARE some very reputable restorers of Mid Century furniture - Alfie at Hume Modern in California (www.humemodern.com) , and Graham Mancha in the UK (www.mancha.demon.co.uk/spares.html) You can also try calling local Mid Century shops and ask them who they use for restorations.

A good recommendation is to sit down and establish what your chair is worth. Good quality vintage Eames Loungers can run anywhere from 3,000 - 7,000 (usd). Therefore it might be a wise investment to make minor repairs. However, if your chair is gonzo...maybe sell it for parts. The best thing to do is educate yourself! There are lots of chairs out there... some are worth a small fortune.. some are worth very little. Browsing the internet is a good way to get a 'sense' of value - but for actual insurance/resale purposes nothing replaces a professional appraisal.

From John, 7/12/2006  5:35 PM

I bought an Eames lounge chair and ottoman at a flea market. It's kind of beat up, but I love it! What's supposed to keep the chair from flopping back? It doesn't tip over, it just doesn't have any mechanism to keep it from tilting back. Thanks - John

From Dylan Davis, 7/8/2006  8:46 PM

I recently purchased an pre-1971 rosewood 670/671 lounge and ottoman, which I got a quite good deal on. It has several flaws which I'd like to rectify as closely to original specs as possible. The one is as many of you have mentioned, there was a incident in its past where the back went. Instead of being a responsible owner like many of us and doing the repair right, the previous owner drilled through the exterior to use screws to do the repair. My ambitious plan is to remove the screws, plug the holes with some matching Rosewood wood plugs, and then send to Herman Miller to have the repair done correctly (hopefully at the lower cost listed above).

The other issue is that this same crazy previous owner did a little refinishing with a high gloss clear of some kind. Doesn't look bad, but definitely not original, so it bothers me of course. Anyone know what sort of finish I can do the refinish with that will be close to the original? Also any tips on removing the crappy finish w/out damaging the wood?

Third issue, the leather is in great shape, but at one point, the seam at the zipper on the bottom cushion gave way and another shotty repair was made. Does anyone know if it possible to take it to an upholsterer to have them do the fix without replacing the leather?

Thanks for any advice.

From Jaime Dorman, 7/5/2006  2:10 PM

I just repaired (for the 3rd time) my 1975 Rosewood Eames Lounge Chair.
The first repair was 3 years ago for the steel/rubber pad on the lower back piece, I used PC-11 Marine 2 Part Epoxy Paste from www.pcepoxy.com (Protective Coating Co, Allentown, PA 18102). I sanded all of the original glue from the wood and sanded the rubber pad, both with 80 grit sandpaper and cleaned the surfaces with lacquer thinner. I outlined the location of the pads with masking tape for alignment. The pads were clamped for 24 hours, unclamped for another 24 hours.
A year ago the rubber pad of the other side failed. Based on some forums, I tried 3M 5200 adhesive, it didn't last a year. It failed at the wood.
Yesterday, I used PC-11 again, first to redo the 3M joint that failed and then another on the base. PC-11 is a thick paste which seems easier to apply, although I have not tried the PC-7 noted in this forum, which I assume is from the same manufacturer.
I should note that the rubber on my mounts is not deteriorating.
I can't live without my Earmes Lounge Chair. I purchased it in 1975, it is #305 and Rosewood.
For those that are noting wear on the cushions, the seat and ottoman cushions are interchangeable as are the upper and lower back cushions.

From Jan, 7/2/2006  9:18 AM

I have repaired three Eames chair all with faulty glue joints. My solution is to make the chair save to sit in and damm the design. I have added two plates 4"x2" outside the arm rest and used the screws that holds the arm rest to mount them. These chair where for a Doctors office and the malfuntioning of the mounts was the cause of a client falling backwards and getting hurt. She didn't file a suit.
My solution may have altered the integrety of the chair but al least it won't hurt people. It's a poor design to say the least... Jan

From Leon McCorkle, 6/26/2006  2:04 PM

needing information where I may hace repairs to an Eames chair

From Peter Miller, 6/13/2006  9:29 AM

To add some more information. We have an Eames Molded Plywood Chair and the rubber mounts on the back came loose. We contacted the Herman Miller company and they said to send it in and they could repair it. At this point I have sent it in twice as the 1st repair did not hold. It has not held the second time either and I am going to try to fix it myself with the adhesive recommended by Jack Morman above. The repair by Miller cost $100, plus shipping. They do guarantee the repair but since it has not held twice at this point I am not going to try it again.

From Diane Coffin, 3/25/2006  1:41 PM

Well, we sent the chair to Herman Miller for repair. They sent it right back saying it was unrepairable.
Any suggestions?

From Gene, 3/25/2006  12:24 PM

FYI
Classic furniture repair
< http://www.humemodern.com/>
info@humemodern.com

I did not contact them regarding the repair of my Eames.
Maybe I should have?

From Gene, 3/25/2006  12:19 PM

I have an original rosewood Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman. As with the others already mentioned, the back separated form the seat at the arm rest supports. Our local Herman Miller Dealer sent the back and armrest unit to HM for repair, after repair the HM Dealer reconnected the two parts to the chair. If I remember correctly the cost was $300-500.

Through the Dealer I found a Leather craftsman who replace lost filling, and stitched up the cushions as best he could. New cushions are not the same as the originals, and cost about $300 +/- each. I figure I will be able to use the original cushions for several years more. I will have to use velcro to hold the seat cushion in place, but this is Ok for now; and will not decrease the value of the chair for me. Cost was another $300, and I still have a completely original HM ELC.

If someone, at a later date wants to completely and perfectly restore the chair at a later date they can. It will cost at least $5000.00 and will not be original.

From Jonathan, 3/15/2006  12:50 PM

I am in the UK ! and have a 1950's ? Herman Miller Chair and Ottoman. The back of the chair has come away from the base at one of the fixings on the arm. Also a bigger problem is the leather and cushion bases which need to re upholstered with leather. The backing board is shot through as is the leather !!!Any one -- HELP !!!!!! rosy126@aol.com

From Alfie, 3/4/2006  6:55 PM

Hume Modern Furniture: Specialists in the restoration of vintage Herman Miller, Knoll Studio & Eames. Please contact us for all your replacement parts and repairs. info@humemodern.com

From Brigid Krane, 2/10/2006  11:56 AM

I have a set of 4 Eames/Herman Miller fiberglass arm chairs. I bought them about 20 years ago and they were painted. I've heard that a paint stripper made for fiberglass boats would work, but I'm wondering if it'll damage the fiberglass at all. Can anyone advise?

From Charles Terry, 2/6/2006  3:57 PM

Thanks for all the helpful information. I have the problem many seem to have; the hard rubber (?) connection between the seat and the back has come off, and I want to have it well repaired so I can continue to enjoy my Eames lounge chair--from the 1970's or earlier. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

From elaine, 1/29/2006  3:47 AM

I need help finding someone who could repair the wood back to a late 70s Eames lounge chair where the Rosewood wood back piece was broken during a move. There was someone in Southern Chair I contacted years ago about repair but side tracked by the cost of repair and finding a box big enough to ship it to him.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

From SW, 1/18/2006  12:28 AM

I have an "original" eames Chair in very good condition - how do I determine it's value?

From VICKIE Straube, 1/14/2006  2:49 PM

I HAVE AN OAK DINING CHAIR WITH THE BACK SUPPORT BROKEN. I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO REPAIR THE CHAIR. THANK YOU, VICKIE. vicjon20@gci.net

From Steve Poulter, 1/6/2006  6:31 PM

Check out the link below (but don't send them any work until I get my battered Eames lounger cushion back).

http://www.humemodern.com

The sample repairs and references look good to me.

From Diane Coffin, 12/30/2005  3:22 PM

Thanks for all the help - I too thought all was lost and just happened on this site. We're sending pieces and parts to Herman Miller next week!

From John Lisansky, 12/15/2005  4:53 PM

Sorry, I just called Herman Miller and it is so easy to take care of this (I think). Thanks so much for all the above information. Too bad the chair can't help me spell.

From John Lisansky, 12/15/2005  4:47 PM

I have a chair numbered 210. I don't know when that would be from but the arm rest shock mount seems to have split in half leaving part on the arm and part on the booden seat bottom wooden part. I need buttons and the leather is worn. I am wondering if it is worth trying to glue the halves back together. If not how do most of you who ship chairs do so and what kind of cost is onvolved. With so much tension on the other arm mount it seems like it is likely to break also if not packed very carefully.

From M. Scott Kraus, 12/1/2005  1:42 AM

My 1960 rosewood 670 just lost adhesion on 1/2 of the arm rest shock mount. I WILL be sending it to Herman Miller for a professional job (Currently $153 for (1) shock arm mount replacement)
If you own a Eames 670 from say, the 1980's on and you have had shock mount failure, I would work on Herman Miller to fix for no charge. If you really want to fix it yourself you can try PC-7. It is a 2 part adhesive. I have used it to bond old rubber shock mounts on my Eames fiberglass Shell Rocker and it worked awesome! Fixing it yourself WILL AFFECT THE VALUE OF YOUR CHAIR! For those whom don't care, GOOD LUCK. For us who look at our Eames Lounge as a oasis as well as an investment, GO TO HERMAN MILLER for the repairs---(800-646-4400) Ask for an RGA and price quote.

JERRIBIRD,
Original Eames 670 lounge chairs do not have a spring in the base to tilt forward or back. Sounds like you may have one of the many copied versions out there.

From Matthew Ward, 11/30/2005  2:50 AM

For Eliot Gerberg Try Machine Age, 354 Congress St. Boston. Tell them I sent you.

From M. Tannenbaum, 11/17/2005  6:57 AM

I finely got the chair repaired! I did ni fact send it to Herman Miller and the cost was about $300.00, but it's perfect! They are the only ones that can replace that peice. It cannot be glued. and if you alter it, it can loose it's value.

From verrna crowell, 11/16/2005  3:03 PM

i have an old eames 670 chair. the back and arms fell off and the only connection between the chair seat and it's back and arms seems to be a little bit of glue at the base of the arms and along the sides of the seat. can this be repaired with just glue? it looks as though there are 2 tiny short dowels where it was glued but i'm not sure if there were any other parts originally. it belonged to my father in law and he may have had some work done. any ideas? verna_crowell@yahoo.com

From Meschino, 10/17/2005  11:56 AM

how does one clean pale coloured leather on armes and seat of Aemes Lounge Chair? almeschino@earthllinks.net

From Elliot Gerberg, 10/12/2005  9:16 AM

Is there anyone in the Boston, MA are who can repair an Eames chair? Thanks.

From Jerri Bird, 10/8/2005  12:11 PM

Is there anyone in the Washington DC area who can repair an Eames chair? The main problem is with the spring that keeps the chair back from tipping backwards....and a smaller problem with the joining point between the back and arm/seat. jerribird@earthlink.net

From joseph ponce, 9/25/2005  11:06 PM

Hello, just read the last post....yes I did the same thing...though at this time i forget the name of what i used!! It comes in to parts, you have to mix them together to form the apoxy. I got the arms ready just like the note above. I clamped it for 48 hours and then let is sit unused for another 48 hrs. Its been almost two months now and its fine. Some creeking that wasnt there before but thats all. The Apoxy is sold at large Do It Yourself Stores.... It either comes in two small tubes or one tube that seperates each compound by having a small division in the middle of the tube. It was used by the furniture expert that used to work for HM in the 1980's.ÊÊÊÊBut as the last note stated, you must get both parts pretty bare of anything residue for the bonding to occur.ÊÊÊBest to you all.ÊÊjoseph le_mot_juste@hotmail.com

From Jack Mormon, 8/27/2005  2:29 AM

Glad to see a crowd with shock mount problems. Misery loves company. I successfully (after several failures) found the proper materials and techniqe to make this repair if the rubber shock mount is in useable condition. The only glue I could find to work is "E6000 INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH Multi Purpose Adhesive." It is available from TAP Plastic which is a chain in California and hopefully has a web site. It's made by Eclectic Products, Inc., Pineville, LA. 71360 and the number is 800 767-4667. I cleaned the shock mount and mounting area of chair with a good sanding and wipe with lacquer thinner. I followed the product instructions for application BUT clamped with several C clamps with wood blocks per shock mount. I left the work clamped for 2 weeks indoors; dry and warm. After removing the clamps I kept the chair unused and the bonded area un -stressed for another week. The chair has seen 4 months of use with the bonded area getting stronger if anything. The dried adhesive appears to be very similar if not the same as the factory glue. Hope this info is useful and helps keep someone from running a couple of bolts through plywood.

From Cameron White, 8/16/2005  6:53 PM

I believe that I have an original Aemes Lounge Chair that needs some repair. Do you know how I can verify that it is original and how I can repair it so I don't hurt the value. Please let me know at cameronawhite41@hotmail.com. Thanks, Cameron

From Joseph Louis Ponce, 7/6/2005  9:42 PM

Hello, everyone, ...I have read all the emails you have listed and upon sitting back on my Eames lounger, You will never guess what happened! I was like......What the F***!!   The back came off the chair.. from the side mounts, I do need to take a look at it and I am not sure if the mounts will stay after sanding and cleaning them? It seems something more may need to be done! I cannot tell from what I saw if the rubber mounts had some sort of rivet into the wood and glue or just glued unto the wood. I will go the HM in Pasadena, Calif,...its a few miles from my house. I will email back with info that is useful. I do know of a wonderful craftsman...hopefully he will have enlightening knowledge. Dont worry, I didnt spill the Chimay beer!!!

From Graham Mancha, 5/30/2005  1:53 PM

Hello, I deal in vintage furniture and I have spare parts available incluidng the 670 (lounge chair) shock mounts. These can be fitted by a comeptent woodwrorker but preparation and gluing is critical otherwise they will never stay in place. It is higly unlikley that old mounts will ever stay in place if re-glued since the rubber will have perished. If anyone wants to contact please go to my website where you will find full detials of chair parts and my email address: www.mancha.demon.co.uk

From Maurice Tannenbaum, 3/23/2005  6:58 AM

try a shoe repair place. they have machines heavy enough to repair any leather.

From Peter Schlosser, 3/22/2005  6:17 PM

What about a tack shop, someone who makes saddles? peters@profitabilityconsulting.com

From Michael, 3/21/2005  8:29 AM

Mr. Schlosser, I saw that you responded to some inquiries about repairs to HM Eames Lounge chairs. My situation is similar to those you've seen, but rather than a bonding issue (or rotten rubber), it appears that the stitching between the "uppers" and "sole" (to use shoe terms) on the seat of both the chair and ottoman have rotted out. The "upper" is the soft leather that one sees and sits upon, while the "sole" is the lower & heavier section of the leather that affixes to the wooden part of the chair/ottoman. I tried contacting HM, and they referred me to CWC here in Atlanta. Unfortunately, all CWC could tell me was that replacing the seat is $864 and the ottoman is the same price. Recovering is $724 per section, except that the upper & lower backs are a mere $577. I went to my local upholstery shop but the owner said that the material is too heavy for his sewing equipment. Would you happen to know of someone in the Atlanta area (NW Atlanta would be ideal, but I'd be willing to travel a bit if necessary) who could re-stitch the "upper" sections to the heavier "lower" sections of the seats? Thanks in advance for you help and advice. Mike mbshapir@bellsouth.net

From Maurice Tannenbaum, 2/27/2005  8:01 AM

Good neewa everone! I contacted Herman Miller and got the right department this time. The problem with the Ames Chair seems to be quite common. The part is called a "Stockmount".that is the part that connects the back to the seat. They will fix the problem. The cost is $146 per pannel plus state tax. You do have to disassemble the chair yourself though (very Ikea). They have sent me instructions to do so. then ship the chair parts affected to their factory in Michigan. contact info Herman Miller for the home 800•646•4400 Mon-Fri,8am-5pm est linda_lutke@hermanmiller.com

From Jack Scoville, 2/26/2005  10:54 AM

My research indicates rubber expoxy will bond the back to the seat. The problem is finding rubber expoxy.

From Maurice Tannenbaum, 2/23/2005  8:10 AM

Robert. We all seem to have the same problem. We all need to gang up on Herman Miller. I think that if this is a defalt with the chair, even though it is 30+ years lateer, then it needs to be addressed by them, Otherwise, it's not a "classic". Let's do something about it collectively! Maurice Tannenbaum maurtan@mac.com

From Maurice Tannenbaum, 2/23/2005  7:27 AM

I tried e-mailing them and the response I got was "a replacement arm cost $1900.00!!! Not what I wanted to hear. I will try again. Thanx M

From Robert Avrech, 2/22/2005  10:37 PM

I am looking for a furniture repairman who could fix my Eames chair. The arm has separated from the body of the chair. I am located in Los Angeles. Robert Avrech

From Peter Schlosser, 2/22/2005  3:32 PM

I understand now. Yes you're right, you can't do anything about rotten rubber. I have a friend who is a contemporary furniture nut and he routinely contacts HM about the furniture he finds; parts are often available since HM prides themselves on furniture that lasts forever. Dumb question--did you call them?

From Maurice Tannenbaum, 2/22/2005  6:58 AM

Dear Peter: The problem doesn't seem to be about glue. The chair back seems to be hinged by a rubber or leather hindge that has rotted. it appers that this hinge needs to be replaced. The reason that the glues didn't work is that you can't glue rotted rubber (I think). Even if you could it would seem to inhibit the movement of the back that was designed to move up and down upon sitting in the chair. Someone out there, I think, should be familiar with the construction of this incredible chair and I would hope Herman Miller would still offer "Hindges" to replace the rotted ones as this is a defect of the chair even though it is over 30 years old. Maurice Tannenbaum

From Peter Schlosser, 2/21/2005  4:29 PM

It would be immensely helpful if anyone could send me pictures of the problem--I need to know what two materials need to be bonded together. For ANY regluing whatsoever, the previously glued surfaces MUST be cleaned and sanded of any old glue, or your efforts will be totally fruitless. I see chairs where, for example, glue was simply dripped into the joint where the backrest meets the seat, without having removed the backrest, cleaned the joint, and made sure the re-fit was tight before gluing. Glue will not stick to old glue or finish.

From Guest, 2/21/2005  3:56 PM

Dear Russell, It would be helpful to know where you live so that repair professionals who might assist you can respond. I've also forwarded your inquiry to our contributing editor Peter Schlosser because I would also like to know what kind of glue he uses. -Russell

From Russell Rau, 2/21/2005  3:43 PM

I too need to repair the back on my 25 year old Eames Chair. Would appreciate any information on glue to use, new pads, or a shop I coulf talk to about repairs. Thanks - Russell Rau rrau@att.net

From Roxanne Munksgaard, 2/1/2005  8:55 PM

My mother in Brooklyn, NY has two Eames chairs that we are researching to get repaired. Similarly, the back has come off the seat. I am going down there later this week to do business; she knows of a repair place in Queens, NY that repair these chairs. Send me your email if you want further information and I'll keep you posted. Roxanne r.munksgaard@verizon.net

From Jack Scoville, 1/17/2005  10:22 AM

I have no help for that particular question but I have a problem of my own re my Eames chair. The back has become detached from the seat. My cabinet maker has tried several types of glue but none will hold. Any suggestions on what type of adhesive to use to get the back to adhere to the seat?