World Market Center Las Vegas, the industry’s fastest growing trade show for home furnishings, recently hosted a “topping out” ceremony to celebrate the completion of steel framing of the third building on its expanding campus.
According to PENTA Building Group, the general contractor named to build the $550 million structure, more than 2,500 construction workers and 60 Ironworkers used 16,500 tons of steel to erect the 16-story structure.
The 2.1 million square-foot building is scheduled for completion in 2008 and will open during the Summer Las Vegas Market, taking place July 28 through Aug. 1, 2008. The third building will contain 130,000 square feet on each of its 16 floors which are nearly 30 percent larger than those in Buildings A and B. In all, more than 400 showrooms are anticipated for Building C.
The third showroom structure on the eight-building campus will allow significant growth opportunities for sectors of the industry that World Market Center already caters to, such as furniture and decorative accessories. In addition, it will offer major expansion opportunities for lighting and floor coverings, as well as foster the introduction of new segments such as floral and seasonal goods.
Upon completion of the third building, World Market Center will have invested over $1.1 billion showcasing five million square feet of permanent showrooms in its downtown Las Vegas campus.
- Building C brings the total square footage of permanent showrooms at World Market Center to 5 million square feet. That’s more square footage than the Sears Tower!
- 72,000 cubic yards of concrete will be used for Building C.
- There will be nine miles of rubber base along the edge of the carpet.
- Building C will use enough carpet to cover the Golden Gate Bridge.
- The exterior skin on the building is 500,000 square feet of exterior surface.
- It would take nearly 330 average size adults holding hands to wrap around the base of Building C.
- Building C will include 34 escalators and 16 elevators.
- Building C would need 10 football fields to completely cover the building in grass.
The Winter 2008 Las Vegas Market is scheduled for January 28 to February 1, 2008 at World Market Center’s Buildings A, B and Pavilions and tradeshow at the MGM Grand Hotel.
About World Market Center: World Market Center is an integrated home and hospitality contract furnishings showroom and trade complex in Las Vegas. When fully built, at 12 million square feet in 8 buildings, World Market Center will be the largest trade show complex in the world. The $3 billion, state-of-the-art campus will showcase furniture, decorative accessories, lighting, area rugs, home textile and related segments, as well as the Las Vegas Design Center (LVDC) open year-round to the trade. World Market Center produces the semi-annual Las Vegas Market, held every January and July, and is the fastest growing home furnishings trade show in the world. World Market Center is now leasing the third building to a broad cross-section of the home furnishings industry. For more information World Market Center, and to find out about leasing or exhibiting opportunities, visit the website at www.LasVegasMarket.Com or call 888-WMC-SHOW (962-7469).
Furniture World Magazine-Business solutions for furniture retailers