The Suppliers Division of the American Home Furnishings Alliance has named the recipients of its scholarship awards for the 2007-2008 school year.
The AHFA Suppliers Division Scholarship Committee reviewed hundreds of applications for the six, $2,000 awards. Recipients can use the funds for tuition, books, room and board or other educational expenses.
The 2007-2008 recipients are:
- Erica Greer, Tazewell, Tenn. She is the daughter of David Greer, an employee of England Inc.
- Ivelina Erinin, Lancaster, Pa. She is the daughter of Aleksandar Erinin, an employee of Flexsteel Inds.
- Amanda Johnson-Asher, Fort Smith, Ark. Amanda is the daughter of Cynthia Johnson, an employee of Riverside Furniture.
- Mellissa Davis, Grandview, Tenn. She is the daughter of Donna Davis, who is a La-Z-Boy employee.
- Takeisha McFarland, Independence, Va. Takeisha is the daughter of Bobby McFarland, who is employed by Vaughan Furniture in Galax, Va.
- Cristian Cabra, Newton, N.C. Cristian is the son of Luz Salazar, an employee of Leggett & Platt.
The scholarship program is open to children of regular, full-time employees of AHFA member companies. The one-year scholarships, based on financial need and merit of the student, are awarded to students age 21 or under who are enrolled in or planning to enroll in a four-year college or university, a junior or community college, or a vocational or technical school.
Since the first scholarships were awarded in 2000, the Suppliers Division Scholarship Fund has helped 46 students (including this year’s recipients) continue their education at colleges and universities all across America.
To raise money for the scholarship fund, AHFA’s Suppliers Division holds an annual golf tournament. This year, more than 130 golfers representing supplier and manufacturer member companies participated in the tournament. Corporate sponsors of the 2007 tournament included: Carpenter Company, Hickory Springs, Leggett & Platt, NCFI Polyurethanes, Cargo Consolidation Services, Hi-Tex/ Crypton Fabric, Lectra and Arail & Associates. In addition, the following companies were team sponsors: Scott Insurance, Innovative Packaging Solutions, Smith Leonard PLLC, CIT Group/ Commercial Services, Blue Ridge Solvents & Coatings, Merchandise Mart Properties Inc., Shull Transport, Hanes Industries, ABF Freight System, AKZO Nobel Coatings Inc., Gerber Technology, Supreme Foam and T-Chek Systems. Companies that supported the event with raffle donations, on-site volunteers or golfer appreciation items included: Expeditors International, Hickory Springs, Hi-Tex/Crypton Fabric, Lectra, Leggett & Platt, MGM Transport, T-Chek Systems and Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice PLLC.
The American Home Furnishings Alliance –located in High Point, N.C. and Washington, D.C. – is the largest association of home furnishings companies in the world and represents more than 250 leading furniture manufacturers and distributors, as well as 225 suppliers to the furniture industry worldwide.
Furniture World Magazine-Business solutions for furniture retailers