Seminars take place throughout the entire week of Market. In all, there are over 30 must-attend seminars.
World Market Center Las Vegas is pleased to unveil a diverse and informative assortment of complimentary seminars for retailers, design professionals and other registered Market attendees during the upcoming Summer 2012 Las Vegas Market, July 30- August 3.
Each seminar features leaders in all facets of the design, home furnishings and gift industries and many programs are CEU-accredited. Seminar focus areas include everything from small business practices, consumer and design trends, social media highlights, hospitality and gift store trends, the evolving role of technology in design, sustainability trends, color forecasts, Holiday ‘12 and Spring ’13 trend previews, visual merchandising strategies, new approaches in mattress marketing and recycling, and the ultimate in brand marketing and customer service.
“The seminar mix for Summer Market is robust. It provides Market attendees with an up-to-the-minute pulse on what’s trending in the marketplace so they can better enhance their businesses as well as their understanding of new opportunities within the industry,” said Dana Andrew, vice president of marketing and public relations for World Market Center Las Vegas. “Las Vegas is a trendsetting city. Buyers come here to see what’s new and how they can evolve. True to the spirit of both the city and the Market’s primary objective, we strive to be the ultimate resource of cutting-edge industry information for all attendees— from home furnishings retailers to independent gift stores to interior designers.”
Seminars take place throughout the entire week of Market. In all, there are over 30 must-attend seminars. A sampling of seminar standouts includes:
- FIRST LOOK Monday, July 30 at 10 a.m. World Forum, Building B, 16 floor Join HGTV’s Monica Pedersen and home furnishings trend expert Julie Smith Vincenti as they dish about everything hot for the upcoming season during Las Vegas Market’s popular First Look. Fast-paced and highly-visual, they divulge the newest looks in bedroom and accent furniture, upholstery, lighting, area rugs, wall décor, giftware and more. The companion products guide is given to attendees to help them fast track to the latest trends at Market.
- HOLLYWOOD STYLE BY WOODSON & RUMERFIELD’S HOUSE OF DESIGN Monday, July 30 at 11 a.m., Building C, C176 Ron Woodson & Jaime Rummerfield are two of the most sought after tickets on the design scene. Co-owners of the tony Los Angeles interior design firm Woodson & Rummerfield’s House of Design, Ron and Jaime are true California style-makers, thoughtfully combining Hollywood opulence and sleek modernity into their creations. They are well known for curating noteworthy classics with memorable fashion forward elements into their modern-vintage style coined “Modage.” Ron and Jaime will share some of their most stunning Hollywood projects, along with chic home décor tips and tricks. The presentation is followed by a book signing for Ron and Jamie’s beautiful title, High Style, published by Chronicle Books.
- THE IMPACT OF TRENDS IN THE MARKETPLACE Monday, July 30 at 3 p.m., Building C, C344 Don’t miss this lively discussion with experts and tastemakers who draw from traditional media backgrounds, such as Oprah Magazine and House Beautiful, as well as editors in the blog and web space, plus a retail marketing expert and a super stylish designer and shop owner. Led by renowned stylist and editor Liezel Munez, panelists Marisa Marcantonio, Amy Elisa Keith, Mila Becker and Jamie Meares will bring you trends to expect for Holiday and Spring 2013. They will also share how to apply these trends to your brand’s “voice” so that they are easily digestible to your target customers. Gain marketing tips on selling that trend in your business and how to generate “buzz.”
- CUSTOMER PERCEPTION AND VISUAL MERCHANDISING STRATEGIES Tuesday, July 31 at 10 a.m., Building C, C344 The retail floor is where the products meet the final consumers, and it’s where a want is turned into a need. The use of imaginative and inspired product presentations are key to generating the customer’s impulse to purchase. Understanding various merchandising styles and formats can refine and define your visual presentations, making your store a must-see. Join Paul Thompson as he shares his vision for merchandising and visual display.
- OPPOSITES ATTRACT: THE 2013 SHERWIN-WILLIAMS COLORMIX™ FORECAST Tuesday, July 31 at 11 a.m., Building C, C176 Opposites attract us like never before, exerting a magnetic pull on the spectrum. Join Sherwin-Williams Colormix(TM) 2013, where today’s color mood is examined under the microscope to reveal its dueling influences that are shaping four divergent color directions. Join Laurie Clark, Senior Designer Account Executive for the Sherwin-Williams Company, as she presents the 2013 Color Forecast.
- PURE SPACE: ELEGANT MINIMALISM Tuesday, July 31 at 1 p.m., Building C, C176 Join us for a presentation and book signing with Jennifer Post, the Principal and visionary of her firm-Jennifer Post, Inc. She creates elegant, contemporary homes and boasts a following of elite and sophisticated clientele, including Matt Lauer, John Hannan, Simon Cowell, and Jennifer Lopez, to name a few. The youngest designer ever to be included in Architectural Digests’ “Top 100 List,” Post has been featured in the New York Times, House & Garden, Elle Decor, Metropolitan Home, Architectural Digest, LUXE, and The Robb Report. Post’s style is about purity of design and architecture with a special flair for modern simplicity.
- INSIDER SECRETS REVEALED: HOW TO STAND OUT FROM YOUR COMPETITION Tuesday, July 31 at 3 p.m., Building B, World Forum What do The Black American Express Centurion Card, Aveda, Singapore Airlines, Coldwell Banker, Audi and Auberge Resorts have in common? Two words: Holly Stiel. Holly’s mission is to reveal the mysteries of hotel concierge-style service to retailers and designers looking to build customer service into your company’s culture. She has a secret weapon that helps companies ignite the spirit of service within their organizations. In her high-energy, interactive workshops, she reveals the secrets of her signature Neon Signs of Service—the spirit behind the skills that breathes new life and passion into every encounter. Holly’s techniques are illustrated with humorous, real-life anecdotes from her 17-year career as a concierge and 20 years as a trainer and consultant.
- DESIGN TRENDS AND THE ROLE OF TECHNOLOGY SEMINAR Tuesday, July 31 at 3 p.m., Building C, C344 Websites, software, apps, oh my… It’s no secret that design technology is changing the way designers and consumers collaborate and communicate. Join this panel of design technology trend experts as they discuss how technology is affecting buying decisions, trends and driving certain demands. Ultimately, attendees will leave with an understanding of how to embrace and harness the power of technology in their day-to-day business.
- AHEAD OF THE CURVE Wednesday, August 1 at 9 a.m., Building C, C352 The signature Ahead of the Curve presentation returns for its fifth installment at the Summer Las Vegas Market. An exclusive preview of the hottest new home design trends features an all-star cast of top U.S. designers, including Betsy Burnham, Philip Gorrivan and Darren Henault. With their fingers on the pulse of what’s hot and relevant, this trio of sought-after designers scours five million square feet of showrooms, then shares their best finds during their live panel discussion and webcast, which includes a question and answer segment. The panel is moderated by TODAY Show contributor Susanna Salk. , Following the presentation, Market attendees can secure a signed copy of Susanna Salk’s new book, Be Your Own Decorator: Taking Confidence and Cues by the World's Leading Designers, released on March 27, 2012.
- PINTEREST: HOW MANY BUYERS ARE PINNING? Wednesday, August 1 at 10 a.m., Building C, 364 Social media experts say sixty-five percent of top brands across the home category, including furnishings and housewares, are active on Pinterest. Pinterest is a pinboard-styled social photo sharing website. The free service allows users to create and manage theme-based image collections. The site’s mission statement is to “connect everyone in the world through the ‘things they find interesting.” This is a fabulous social marketing tool for retailers and helps drive business traffic faster than Facebook or Twitter. Join Barbara Wold to explore how your business can benefit from this new online and social media tool.
- FURNITURE, FASHION & FOOD: THE PERFECT MARRIAGE Wednesday, August 1 at 2 p.m., Building C, C176 Fashion, furniture and the art of entertaining do not exist in isolation and have profound influences on one another. Join this stimulating conversation on the blurring line between furniture and fashion and discover the latest creative synergies you can take back to your business. Cassandra LaValle, editor behind the ultra-popular coco+kelley blog whose readers enjoy stunning interiors, brilliant fashion, inspired tabletops and original color palettes, Virginia VanZanten, Associate Editor at W Magazine, and Jane Matteson of Matteson Design and Consulting headline this fashion-forward panel.
- DESIGNER DAYS – FIRST FRIDAY: HOW TO GET ON TV: THE ULTIMATE MARKETING FOR YOUR BRAND Friday, August 3 at 10 a.m., Building C, C176 Join celebrity interior designer Lori Dennis, head counselor for Design Camp, to learn the secrets of how to get on television as an interior design guest expert, host or even star on your own show. Lori has been a regular on programs for HGTV, Food Network, NBC, Oxygen and is the star of soon to air series, the Real Designing Women on HGTV. .1CEU
Additional seminars by date include:
Monday, July 30:
- How to Leverage the Power of Small Business Saturday to Drive More Traffic and Profit, presented by Patricia Norins, Publisher of Gift Shop Magazine: 11 a.m., Building C, Suite C344
- Hospital Gift Shop Management, presented by Cindi Jones, consultant and designer: 1 p.m., Building C, Suite 344
- Integrating Mobile Platforms, presented by David Rodnitzky: 1 p.m., Building B, World Forum-16th Floor
- Love At First Blush: How Well Is The Bedding Industry Connecting With Female Customers?, presented by Sleep Products Association and WithIt, in conjunction with Ergo Bedroom: 2 p.m., Building C, Suite C176
Tues., July 31:
- Gender-Blending, presented by Tom and Tracy Leigh Hazzard: 10 a.m., Building B, World Forum
- Marketing and Store Event Ideas from Award-Winning Retailers, presented by Caroline Kennedy, Editor-in-Chief of Gifts and Decorative Accessories: 11 a.m., Building C, Suite C364
- MAXING YOUR MERCHANDISING MIX: How To Make Fashion, Accessories & Jewelry Sell Well in Your Store, presented by Linda Cahan, Retail Visual Design Consultant: 2 p.m., Building C, Suite C5
Wed., Aug. 1
- •Building a Brand from the Beginning, presented by Kiersten Hathcock: 10 a.m., Building B, World Forum-16th Floor .1 CEU
- Rest Easy with a Knock-out Specialty Sleep Program in Your Store! 11 a.m., Building C, Suite 344
- Sustainability Essentials: Textiles, presented by Patty Grossman: 1 p.m., Building B, World Forum-16th Floor .1 CEU
- Displays - From Dull to Dazzling, presented by Susan Wagner, Editor of Smart Retailer: 2 p.m., Building C, Suite C364
- Is your Website Poised to Sell?, presented by Kevin Richards, owner of Ventura Web Design: 3 p.m., Building C, Suite C344
Thurs., Aug. 2
- Used Mattress Recycling – What's the Right Solution? Presented by Ryan Trainer: 10 a.m., Building B, World Forum-16th Floor
- How to Pin Down Customers with the Power of Pinterest, presented by leading social media guru, Christi Tullis: 10 a.m., Building C, Suite C344
Friday, Aug. 3
- Designer Days – First Friday: Renovate Your Interior Design Revenue: Learn to Comfortably Sell Yourself, Your Services, and Your Designs, Presented by designer consultant Chelsea Coryell: 12 p.m., Building C, Suite C176 .1 CEU
In addition, a first-time buyer’s orientation will be available on Tuesday at 10 am in Building C, Suite C368 to help new-to-market attendees maximize buying time and inform them about the many resources, destinations, seminars and events that Las Vegas Market has to offer.
A full listing of all Summer 2012 Las Vegas Market seminars is available atwww.LasVegasMarket.com/events
. Many seminars are CEU-accredited. Attendees also enjoy an array of amenities including free Wi-Fi on campus, complimentary shuttle to/from host hotels, free parking in multi-level onsite parking garage, fully-equipped Internet lounges and convenient café and food kiosks.
Register before July 13 to receive your badge in the mail. Hotels can also be booked for as low as $40 a night by visiting www.LasVegasMarket.com
ABOUT WORLD MARKET CENTER LAS VEGAS World Market Center Las Vegas is an integrated home and hospitality contract furnishings showroom and trade complex. The campus showcases furniture, decorative accessories, gift, lighting, area rugs, home textiles and related segments, as well as the Las Vegas Design Center open daily to consumers and designers. For more information on World Market Center Las Vegas and its trade shows including the bi-annual Las Vegas Market and Gift+Home, visit www.wmclv.com. Find us on Facebook and Twitter.
World Market Center Las Vegas is a property of International Market Centers, L.P. (IMC), the world’s largest operator of premier showroom space for the furnishings, home décor and gift industries. International Market Centers owns and operates 11.5 million square feet of world-class exhibition space in High Point, N.C. and Las Vegas. IMC’s mission is to build and operate an innovative, sustainable, profitable and scalable platform for the furnishings, home décor and gift industries. For more information on IMC, visit imcenters.com
Furniture World Magazine-Business solutions for furniture retailers